Home

Safties reacting to the run unrealistically.

This is a discussion on Safties reacting to the run unrealistically. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #33
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Safties reacting to the run unrealistically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker19
Not sure if anyone else tested out the above suggestion to try INT = 40 and Pass Reaction =60, but I did a quick test last night. Now, in theory, this should make the run game better but it did not. In fact, it was the exact opposite. Granted, it was only one game, but both USER and CPU defenses swarmed to the ball carrier on almost every play. I play Coach Mode, so I just watched, and both teams' RBs couldn't make anything happen. I think by the half both had only like 12 carriers for 20 yards and you could just see it in the game play. The defense just seemed to key in on the run and react faster.

So, I quit that game and just started simple...I just made INT = 40 for both teams, and wow, what a difference. Both USER and CPU ran very well. You could see the defensive players not react as quickly to the play. The downside was this setting opened up the pass game just a little bit. But I need to do more testing across several games to see if that's a real issue.

I saw the same thing. On my experience int affect the reaction but pass coverage has not.

Just 3 games tested. Though. I will just stick with int at 35 and that's all for me. I'm so tired of tweaking and testing.

What is broken is broken and let try to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #34
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
I'm really this close to throw the towel and just play default and try to live with safeties being to overpowered

I'm kind of tired of testing and testing it never ends.

It's a "House of Cards" because messing with one thing creates a crater in another area...

Eventually, you have to "pick your poison" and I decided to live with the "Safety Issue", mitigated somewhat by a lower INT setting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker19
Not sure if anyone else tested out the above suggestion to try INT = 40 and Pass Reaction =60, but I did a quick test last night. Now, in theory, this should make the run game better but it did not. In fact, it was the exact opposite. Granted, it was only one game, but both USER and CPU defenses swarmed to the ball carrier on almost every play. I play Coach Mode, so I just watched, and both teams' RBs couldn't make anything happen. I think by the half both had only like 12 carriers for 20 yards and you could just see it in the game play. The defense just seemed to key in on the run and react faster.

So, I quit that game and just started simple...I just made INT = 40 for both teams, and wow, what a difference. Both USER and CPU ran very well. You could see the defensive players not react as quickly to the play. The downside was this setting opened up the pass game just a little bit. But I need to do more testing across several games to see if that's a real issue.

As we've been discussing, picker19, the sliders have a tendency to affect BOTH sides of the ball, albeit unintentionally...

That's why it's such a delicate balance...

My original set had INT @ 40, because it simply stat-ed out and looked more realistic than INT @ 50...

Unfortunately, you can't "have it all" with so many things being tied to too few sliders...

At any rate, the INT slider has been a more effective place to start trying to influence the game in a positive way than the TAK slider, which in my experience, REALLY "sets off the dominoes"...

Old 10-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #35
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
No both vídeos the defense is cover 4.

Yesterday's I went directly to practice and on cover 4 the safeties react extremely quick. As you can see on the videos.

I called cover 4 on 4-3 and on offense I called single back with 2te as the first video and run it 10 times. 7 times the Safties tackle the RB.

On patch #2 I saw that ea tune down the Safties reaction when being on cover 4. It seems they didn't tune down enough.

Again this happens every single game. Both Safties are taking tackles that should be from the front 7.

This is from the patch notes. It seems they forgot to included or they need to tune it down even more. This was an issue from the start.

Addressed issue where safeties in Cover 4 Deep assignments were reacting to run too quickly

I went into practice mode and tested the 4-3 cover 4 against a 2te run to the left side...and it played just as your videos show and the one safety charges way too soon, every time; actually as the QB and RB are about to hand off, thus the safety obviously isn't even waiting to see if it is a real run play; thing is here - I called the Play Action audible a number of times and that same safety never bit on the fake handoff....This definitely needs to be fixed...

If the safety is going to jump, then he should bite on all play actions, or the safety needs to hold his zone long..or a combo of both...

I used the Cincinnati Bengals on both offense and defense...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #36
MVP

booker21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I went into practice mode and tested the 4-3 cover 4 against a 2te run to the left side...and it played just as your videos show and the one safety charges way too soon, every time; actually as the QB and RB are about to hand off, thus the safety obviously isn't even waiting to see if it is a real run play; thing is here - I called the Play Action audible a number of times and that same safety never bit on the fake handoff....This definitely needs to be fixed...

If the safety is going to jump, then he should bite on all play actions, or the safety needs to hold his zone long..or a combo of both...

I used the Cincinnati Bengals on both offense and defense...
Yes, itīs not player based, since i played with several teams on my CFM and i always notice this. The S reaction needs to be patched, hopefully on next patch, just make them react the same as the LB at least. If you look, itīs a Safety issue, since CB donīt react as fast. It seems almost scripted that the Safety that is from where the run is going react unrealistically fast.

Teams i played with on different test CFM for at least 3 games.

Cards,
Dolphins,
Giants,
Bengals,
Chief
Texans
Titans

I learnt all the Safeties names from these teams because i hate every one of them. LOL.

Last edited by booker21; 10-29-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #37
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I have been doing more tests with the Cover 4; I swear, I do not think stats matter because safeties mirror the RB step for step, and the only way to beat the safety is to get him caught up on another player...

Really is sad to see this mirror effect, just cheapens the game..

Strange thing is, if I let the CPU control my RB, the safety has been getting blocked more than not...

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 10-29-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #38
MVP

booker21's Arena

Safties reacting to the run unrealistically.

Quote:
I have been doing more tests with the Cover 4; I swear, I do not think stats matter because safeties mirror the RB step for step, and the only way to beat the safety is to get him caught up on another player...

Really is sad to see this mirror effect, just cheapens the game..

I'm sorry man.
I'm going to do some test when I get home. At work now. But I was wondering if this happens on every deep cover play or only on cover 4.

Personally if this happens on cover 4 I can avoid that play and just take it as "cheese" play that I avoid like I already do inside run (5 gain min) or fb dive (5 Yrds min). But If this happens with every play then we have no way to avoid this.

Btw my biggest compain is that my safeties are the one tackling the rb. So this happens both ways. Not only on CPU team.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #39
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Yes, itīs not player based, since i played with several teams on my CFM and i always notice this. The S reaction needs to be patched, hopefully on next patch, just make them react the same as the LB at least. If you look, itīs a Safety issue, since CB donīt react as fast. It seems almost scripted that the Safety that is from where the run is going react unrealistically fast.

Teams i played with on different test CFM for at least 3 games.

Cards,
Dolphins,
Giants,
Bengals,
Chief
Texans
Titans

I learnt all the Safeties names from these teams because i hate every one of them. LOL.
After looking at your other videos and others' experiences I see that it is indeed a issue also. Sliders and Attributes obviously play a role in the game, but a safety with below average stats shouldn't be consistently predicting a run play especially if it's a passing down in cover 4.

Good find and keep providing videos along with the players attributes/sliders, so there isn't "Well maybe the player has a high play rec/pursuit" comments like mine lol.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
What play did the defense call here? The FS is close to the LOS..Was he M2M on the RB?

Kinda looks like a Cover 3 with a Safety blitz...Difficult to tell cause I cannot see where there CB's are positioned pre-snap, but the SS moves to the center field after the snap with the CB's dropping back deep...

The majority of tackles in the NFL are between LB's and safeties...
The defense was in a 4-3 over plus. The FS will generally play in more regardless of playcall.

That specific play is not a problem to me; in that formation the safety has weakside force assisgnment. His job is to take down the ball carrier on any outside runs. And he did his job, he read run/pass on the TE's release and reacted appropriately.

The first video is more problematic, but if it was cover 4 it is not that big of a deal. Again the safety read his key and reacted appropriately. To me the bigger problem has always been the LBs horrible reaction time. They just freeze at the snap instead of filling their gaps and attacking. Madden has improved a lot but it is still not that great.

Someone could test the behavior from the safeties in cover 4. Run a draw play from a 2x2 set where both inside receivers run down the field. If the safeties are reacting properly they should stay back.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »