Home

Work around for real field goal %...

This is a discussion on Work around for real field goal %... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Work around for real field goal %...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
In the real NFL that's on television every Sunday, if an offense gets inside the 35 it is basically an automatic 3 points, so Madden is in the right here.

In 2015, NFL kickers were perfect inside 20 yards (9 / 9), missed exactly six field goals between 20 and 29 yards (210 / 216; 97.2%), and missed exactly 13 field goals between 30 and 39 yards (238 / 251; 94.8%). Over half the kickers in the league made 85% or more of their field goal attempts, and only one - Greg Zuerlein - failed to make at least 77% of his kicks.

Most of the missed field goals in the NFL are on kicks from distance; for example, Ravens K Justin Tucker missed only one field goal inside 50 yards (29 / 30; 96.7%; his lone miss was in the 40-49 range), and was 4-10 on kicks from 50+. The aforementioned Zuerlien was 3/9 on kicks from 50+; remove those nine field goals and his kick percentage jumps from a terrible 66.7% to a more reasonable 80.9%.

If the argument is that Madden should make kicking from distances of say 45 yards or more a greater challenge, then I'm all ears. However, NFL kickers aren't at all challenged by shorter field goals, the statistics back it up, and the game Tiburon has built mimics that ease.
Dude, only 5 teams made all of their extra points. They are anything but automatic anymore. Field goal kickers make a large majority of FG's but no one makes it all. And in addition my original comment was gets inside the 35 yard line which basically is a 52 yard fg and in is automatic in Madden.

Just give me real fg%.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense
Old 01-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #18
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Dude, only 5 teams made all of their extra points. They are anything but automatic anymore.
Well when you frame the statistic that way it sounds awful, but let's put that stat into its proper context:

NFL kickers made 1146 of their 1217 PAT attempts this season (94.1%). Basically a 32-yard field goal, kickers are still effectively automatic on PAT attempts. The odds of a kicker missing an extra point are basically the same as flipping a coin exactly four times and getting heads every single time; that is, not very high.

Again - if the argument that kicking from distance should be harder in Madden, I'm listening, because there's plenty of evidence to support that that should be the case, as I pointed out in my previous post. However, there's no compelling real-life statistical evidence that shorter field goals should be significantly more challenging in the game than they currently are (which admittedly is not very challenging). Short of adding game mechanics for snapping and holding, from 45 yards and in we basically already have "real field goal percentage".

If "sim" is the ultimate goal of Madden's game design, Tiburon shouldn't be making parts of the game more difficult just for the sake of difficulty.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #19
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

I would love to see real field goal %, like in NBA 2K, implemented in Madden. I know this would take the human element out of it but this would make drafting or signing good kickers that much more important.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Well when you frame the statistic that way it sounds awful, but let's put that stat into its proper context:

NFL kickers made 1146 of their 1217 PAT attempts this season (94.1%). Basically a 32-yard field goal, kickers are still effectively automatic on PAT attempts. The odds of a kicker missing an extra point are basically the same as flipping a coin exactly four times and getting heads every single time; that is, not very high.

Again - if the argument that kicking from distance should be harder in Madden, I'm listening, because there's plenty of evidence to support that that should be the case, as I pointed out in my previous post. However, there's no compelling real-life statistical evidence that shorter field goals should be significantly more challenging in the game than they currently are (which admittedly is not very challenging). Short of adding game mechanics for snapping and holding, from 45 yards and in we basically already have "real field goal percentage".

If "sim" is the ultimate goal of Madden's game design, Tiburon shouldn't be making parts of the game more difficult just for the sake of difficulty.
XP % in Madden is 100%. Anything inside 50 yards is 100%. We don't have real field goal %. There is no drama, plenty of games in real life have been decided or altered by missed extra points or misses from within 50 yards. I can't believe this is even a point of contention with some people.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #21
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
In the real NFL that's on television every Sunday, if an offense gets inside the 35 it is basically an automatic 3 points, so Madden is in the right here.

In 2015, NFL kickers were perfect inside 20 yards (9 / 9), missed exactly six field goals between 20 and 29 yards (210 / 216; 97.2%), and missed exactly 13 field goals between 30 and 39 yards (238 / 251; 94.8%). Over half the kickers in the league made 85% or more of their field goal attempts, and only one - Greg Zuerlein - failed to make at least 77% of his kicks.

Most of the missed field goals in the NFL are on kicks from distance; for example, Ravens K Justin Tucker missed only one field goal inside 50 yards (29 / 30; 96.7%; his lone miss was in the 40-49 range), and was 4-10 on kicks from 50+. The aforementioned Zuerlien was 3/9 on kicks from 50+; remove those nine field goals and his kick percentage jumps from a terrible 66.7% to a more reasonable 80.9%.

If the argument is that Madden should make kicking from distances of say 45 yards or more a greater challenge, then I'm all ears. However, NFL kickers aren't at all challenged by shorter field goals, the statistics back it up, and the game Tiburon has built mimics that ease.

These stats are all great and stuff, but your stats also point out that kickers do miss sometimes, where in Madden they NEVER miss.

I think the way to make it harder for users to kick fg's is to take away the arrow you use for aiming and make us aim with the right thumb stick as we kick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2016, 04:30 AM   #22
Rookie

mlb61's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
These stats are all great and stuff, but your stats also point out that kickers do miss sometimes, where in Madden they NEVER miss.

I think the way to make it harder for users to kick fg's is to take away the arrow you use for aiming and make us aim with the right thumb stick as we kick.
Not true. The CPU very occasionally misses. Not often enough -- but it happens.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #23
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb61
Not true. The CPU very occasionally misses. Not often enough -- but it happens.
Yeah from 50+ yards.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

After just watching the Vikings game do we really need to be debating this anymore. In madden that fg is never missed ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »