Home

Negotiations? Are there any. ? Or is it me.

This is a discussion on Negotiations? Are there any. ? Or is it me. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
Negotiations? Are there any. ? Or is it me.

Has anyone been able to negotiate with any of their players? In my experience, there does not seem to be any negotiation at all, At least with the Browns, Either you give the player exactly what he is asking for or more, or he will tell you immediately he is going to test the free agency. You only get one shot. So where is the so called negotiation? I offered Crowel 100.000 less than he was asking. He turned me down and went to FA. Every single player I tried to give just a little less money went straight to FA even if it was minimal. I tried every combination changing years, bonus, salary, not one player negotiated. Quite a few wouldn’t even sign for their own asking price. I always assumed that negotiation was going back and forth until you reached a compromise. I guess not with this game. In all my other leagues I always let the CPU handle that task, this time I thought I would try it on my own. Does anyone else have this same experience or am I just a bad negotiator.?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Banned

rich8682's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Negotiations? Are there any. ? Or is it me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
Has anyone been able to negotiate with any of their players? In my experience, there does not seem to be any negotiation at all, At least with the Browns, Either you give the player exactly what he is asking for or more, or he will tell you immediately he is going to test the free agency. You only get one shot. So where is the so called negotiation? I offered Crowel 100.000 less than he was asking. He turned me down and went to FA. Every single player I tried to give just a little less money went straight to FA even if it was minimal. I tried every combination changing years, bonus, salary, not one player negotiated. Quite a few wouldn’t even sign for their own asking price. I always assumed that negotiation was going back and forth until you reached a compromise. I guess not with this game. In all my other leagues I always let the CPU handle that task, this time I thought I would try it on my own. Does anyone else have this same experience or am I just a bad negotiator.?
Yeah contract system should definitely improve. That goes for every sports game tho. No game really gets negotiation down.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

More drawn-out negotiations do happen.

In my online league I run with my local friends, my brother as the Packers had weeks-long contract back-and-forths with Josh Sitton and T.J. Lang. He eventually got Sitton to sign, while Lang decided to test free agency.

I don't know that you will see season-long negotiations - my impression is that players start to tire of negotiations after three tries or so - but you should definitely see some weeks-long negotiation periods.

As to how the negotiations play out, my impression of the fair value number is that that's the minimum per-year the player is willing to take. That in mind, I try to negotiate around that per-year number, adding years if I want to keep the player long-term and subtracting years if the player is too close to or past 30. The "Predictable" trait on a player can also influence negotiations; if it is set to "No", a player may randomly decide to end negotiations, regardless of the contract offer.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Rookie

I can't say this with certainty, but I believe that several outside factors beyond just contract terms influence the willingness of a player to resign versus jumping ship to test free agency. For example, team success, fan happiness, and player happiness would all play an influence. Player rating also has an impact. In my Ravens franchise, Kamar Aiken immediately declined when I offered him about 500k less than he was asking for (he's rated as a low 80's, so middle tier). I did get into a contract negotiation with a lower rated CB though (can't remember who, or how much I offered). The Ravens, however, are much more successful franchise than the Browns. If you play a career as an owner, you can check the standings as far as team success, stadium ratings, fan happiness, etc. I believe that lower rated teams in those areas would have less of a pull for players to resign with, though again I can't confirm it. I hope that all made sense.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 2

Thanks so much for the suggestions and comments. I usually let the CPU take care of those things, but this year it looked kind of interesting. Thought I'd give it a try. I think I'll set up a test franchise and just try to do some negotiation and see how it plays out. I have dabbled in sales so I thought I'd be pretty good at it. LOL, but I guess it don't work that way in the game. So I am assuming that the asking price is the starting point and you must go up from there or try changing bonus or years. Anyway, thanks again for your reply's

Last edited by CleveCluby; 09-15-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
Banned

Ive not had issues signing guys I want to keep just by giving them a little more base and a little more bonus money. Players undervalue themselves in many cases imo, so its not a big deal to sweeten the pot.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 1

Yeah I noticed this as well. They said it's more in depth this year when it comes to resigning players, but I have yet to see that. It's more of, I want this much money and if I'm not offered it I'll test free agency. It's dumb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #8
Banned

IcedCoffee1983's Arena

I agree with what others have said. There could be some improvements to negotiating with players in a contract year. It feels sort of stale.

But I don't think the current system is all bad. You actually can sign players for less than their requested amount if you have the staff bonuses that help on contracts for that position. Or if they fit your scheme. Or both.

As Weewam said, there are other influences too. I've had times when my team record was bad, and guys wouldn't take deals even above their "desired" contract. And then they either retired, went to another team, I had to pay big in FA, or I franchise 'em for a year.

Does the player you can't sign fit your scheme? Is he not the starter there? Have you won any titles? Does your coach stink?

Sometimes it can feel scripted, but it's because he just doesn't want to play on your team anymore. I'm sure Owners feel miffed in real life too when they offer up millions, and then get denied.

The good thing is, there are influences that are not just financial; which is cool. It's a good thing Madden has that stuff going on under the hood. The problem is, Madden has that stuff going on under the hood. So it seems weird and confusing since it's not evident exactly why you're denied sometimes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »