Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM - Page 5 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

This is a discussion on Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football

Old 10-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I read your blog post and am really blown away at the work and maths that went into this. Very impressive.

One quick question for you -- have you identified or looked for anything that correlates with the development trait? Obviously most people are interested in plucking the "quick" and "superstars" but I just drafted a 78 OVR DB in my recent draft that had "slow" development. Any idea how to identify those players?
I get the feeling that the development trait is mostly random and would perhaps be impossible to know.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:25 AM   #34
Rookie

Old Man Nathy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armige
I get the feeling that the development trait is mostly random and would perhaps be impossible to know.
Correct. From what I've observed, it's pretty much totally random. The only thing I have noticed is that players with draft story like "missed the season through injury" or "kicked off team" will often have slow development.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:52 AM   #35
Rookie

KrisMarina's Arena

Thumbs up Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
Interesting insight, thank you. It's not weighted at all heavily, just gives a +1 boost to the true OVR value.

But I'll build a differentiation between a positive and negative draft story into the next version I think. Thanks for the input!

RE Open Office, I'm not familiar with how it works TBH or what the differences between Excel and it are. I googled quickly and can see that things like vlookups have a different formula syntax in OO, which would definitely mess things up as the tool uses a lot of lookups. What exactly isn't working properly in Open Office?
Just seems to be stuck on loading and it's not as if it's a huge file. Managed to workaround by uploading it to Google Drive, great tool so far. Exactly the sort of thing I need
Old 10-04-2016, 03:08 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

Thank you so much for this. It's amazing.

Is it weird that I still can't sort, even with the unprotected sheet? I tried Google Sheets and Excel 2007. Am I missing something?
Old 10-04-2016, 05:48 AM   #37
Community Manager

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

You want a sticky? Because this is how you get a thread a sticky.

My Twitter
The OFFICIAL Operation Sports Twitch Channel!
Old 10-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #38
Rookie

This is incredible!! Too bad I was 7 weeks in to the season before I found it, because it took a chunk of time adding in players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
So something to think about. I talked with John White in an interview and he said unlike in years past, this year positive draft stories aren't as big of a signal the guy is good as they have been in the past. They intentionally are using it as a bit of a false flag this year.

Not sure how heavily weighted it is in your formula, but something to think about.
This matches a particular draftee for me. This tool listed him immediately as "Do not draft", but he's had about 6 "This guy is amazing and setting records" stories. Late 2nd rounder ROLB: 23 y/o, Power Move B-, Tackle B-, Pursuit C+.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #39
Rookie

Old Man Nathy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
You want a sticky? Because this is how you get a thread a sticky.
I'm honoured, thank you!

Done my first season in my sim-only Browns CFM, trying to turn them into contenders without playing any games (or cheesing the CPU with unfair trades etc.).

My 2017 draft class. Not too shabby!

Had to give an arm and a leg to trade up from #6 to #1 overall to grab Heisman trophy winning QB Ben Trejo, but it was well worth it. Gave up two first rounders and a top second rounder to bump up 5 slots but I'll take that trade all day long to nab by QB for the next 15 years.

Whiffed on that MLB in round 2 (slow dev to boot), which I was annoyed about. Still, that's an example where the tool isn't perfect.

Got some solid players in the middle rounds, particularly pleased with that Guard in the 6th as he has quick dev too. The tool told me not to draft the SS, but I badly needed depth at the position and he looked pretty solid even if the tool didn't like him.

Last edited by Old Man Nathy; 10-08-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #40
Cover 2

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
I'm honoured, thank you!

Done my first season in my sim-only Browns CFM, trying to turn them into contenders without playing any games (or cheesing the CPU with unfair trades etc.).

My 2017 draft class. Not too shabby!

Had to give an arm and a leg to trade up from #6 to #1 overall to grab Heisman trophy winning QB Ben Trejo, but it was well worth it. Gave up two first rounders and a top second rounder to bump up 5 slots but I'll take that trade all day long to nab by QB for the next 15 years.

Whiffed on that MLB in round 2 (slow dev to boot), which I was annoyed about. Still, that's an example where the tool isn't perfect.

Got some solid players in the middle rounds, particularly pleased with that Guard in the 6th as he has quick dev too. The tool told me not to draft the SS, but I badly needed depth at the position and he looked pretty solid even if the tool didn't like him.
As much as I appreciate what you've done, I really like that there are still "misses" like your 2nd round MLB. Most of the guys are looking for a sim experience (as I'm sure you are) so it would take a lot of realism out of the experience if we could always guarantee the outcome. I feel like your tool has taken us from the Dogpound (pun attended) and given us Belichick-like scouting abilities. But of course, humans make mistakes and it's good that there will still be misses.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »