Home

Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

This is a discussion on Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #425
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM - Version 3 Out Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegitgoat
Is there a way to use this tool without excel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You've asked this question about 5 times now... Yes, it will work in Sheets (or even in Excel Online in O365 or the online sheets app in Google Docs). Though some stuff (like conditional formatting) doesn't play that nicely in non-Excel applications.

v7.1 released 16th October 2018! Check out the thread and download the latest version!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #426
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBklynWay902
You sound just like me my brother, I post maybe five to ten time a year and I only build my teams thru the draft. Since stumbling on this thread and tool I'm like a junky! Posting five to ten times a day! THIS TOOL IS AMAZING ASSET TO THE GAMING EXPERIENCE.

With that said, most if not all positive draft stories result in at least a quick trait. Multiple positive stories, good pro days, setting records and winning the heisman result in superstar traits.

So in your draft I would guess the following:

QB Deese (who is an absolute BEAST w/84 OVR) won the Heisman = Superstar
MLB Blackstone - Good Pro Day = Superstar
ROLB Colvin - Inconsistence = Normal but should've dropped in draft position
HB Gooden - School Record = Superstar
WR Hackney - Poor Jump = Slow
LE Hobson - Poor stats = Slow
LOLB Lincoln - Good Combine = Quick - Superstar
QB Pleasant - Good Pro Day = Superstar
SS Reeves - Dad Coach (good lineage) = Superstar

That was a great idea to log the draft stories. OMN, is there a way to leave a column or two blank for logging the stories and for notes we might want to keep on a player? Only if it doesn't interfere with any calculations and it won't cause a delay of the eventual release of Version 3.
Thanks for the advice. Just for the hell of it, here's how close you were on those traits:

QB Deese = No idea, can't find him. Seriously, the Niners drafted him (confirmed as there's a news story about him), he's not on any roster or practice squad, and he's not injured or a free agent. Bizarre. Weirder still, the Niners do have a rookie QB at 84 OVR by the name of Kris Harbaugh, who I don't remember seeing (I've since deleted that draft sheet, so I don't know if he existed previously). Anyone else had this happen before?

MLB Blackstone - Good Pro Day = Superstar - nailed it

ROLB Colvin - Inconsistence = Normal but should've dropped in draft position - normal, if he dropped, it wasn't by much, I didn't take any note of it anyway

HB Gooden - School Record = Superstar - he's actually just normal

WR Hackney - Poor Jump = Slow - just normal, although he did go undrafted and is now on my practice squad

LE Hobson - Poor stats = Slow - normal

LOLB Lincoln - Good Combine = Quick - Superstar - spot on

QB Pleasant - Good Pro Day = Superstar - quick

SS Reeves - Dad Coach (good lineage) = Superstar - yep

Nathy, new sheet looks amazing, just in time for my Bears season 4.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #427
Rookie

Wow looking forward to using this for my next league draft, great stuff! I've got a group of 8 doing scouting so we get every single player added, will be interesting to see what comes up. With V2 I got a MLB that was projected as a 7L w/ quick dev who ended up being a 75 and got a SS that was projected UD and he was 71 w/ quick dev.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #428
Rookie

Natedogg,

Just came here from r/Madden after seeing your post. I do have one general question for you:

Trading UP in the draft? I have only ever traded back during the draft and do not recall seeing an icon to trade up with a team. I did see a post saying to pause the draft and propose a trade like you would normally do, but does this mean exiting out of the draft? I'm paranoid that leaving would result in auto-picks and want to confirm this in case I decide to trade up this season (I have about 3x each of 2nd and 3rd round picks and the class may not be too strong, though I will see soon with v3).

Anyways, thanks for the tool, a real time saver compared to what I was doing before I started using it.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #429
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwang1600
Natedogg,

Just came here from r/Madden after seeing your post. I do have one general question for you:

Trading UP in the draft? I have only ever traded back during the draft and do not recall seeing an icon to trade up with a team. I did see a post saying to pause the draft and propose a trade like you would normally do, but does this mean exiting out of the draft? I'm paranoid that leaving would result in auto-picks and want to confirm this in case I decide to trade up this season (I have about 3x each of 2nd and 3rd round picks and the class may not be too strong, though I will see soon with v3).

Anyways, thanks for the tool, a real time saver compared to what I was doing before I started using it.
You don't actually exit the draft. Just pause the draft, hit RB (Xbox), and you can go through all the menus like normal. The draft will stay on it's own tab and you can just go back when you are done. But yes you have to trade the regular way. It's not on the draft tab.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #430
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
Right then you lucky lot, Old Man Nathy Claus has delivered you an early Christmas present: Version 3 is OUT NOW ! Check out the original post for download links etc. More details below:

***New for Version 3!***
  • Red Chips and Blue Chips! The Draft Status feature is now less binary. Instead of just showing Blue Chip prospects as draftable (i.e. players who will likely be at least 75 OVR), it will now highlight 'Red Chip' prospects (70-74 OVR).
  • Draft Class Strength Analysis Tab: Once you have fully scouted at least 20 prospects, the tool will generate some stats, graphs etc. that compare your particular draft class to the average Madden 17 CFM draft class. This will help guide you in terms of whether to gather picks for a particularly strong class, and which areas of the team you should seek to strengthen in Free Agency rather than through the draft.
  • Height now affects True Value Rating: Some positions like Receiver or Corner are very affected by the height of players. Previously, the tool gave equal standing to a 5'9 WR and a 6'6 WR with the same stats, when clearly in game, the 6'6 receiver would be the more effective performer. Now, Height can impact TVR.
  • More scouting criteria tweaks than you can shake a stick at. I was documenting them all, but I made so many that I gave up. But basically, the Blue Chip criteria are now extremely mature.
  • True Value Rating algorithm tweaked to further normalise it across positions.

Moving in-flight draft classes from V2 to V3:
There shouldn't be any issues moving data from Version 2 of the tool to Version 3. Far fewer changes in terms of data you're expected to input than there were between versions 1 and 2 of the tool! Refer to the image album below and follow these steps:
  1. Refer to these images to help you understand the following steps: http://imgur.com/a/fT8y4
  2. Open both your existing (version 2) tool spreadsheet, and your new, brand spanking new V3 of the tool.
  3. On your V2 sheet, unlock the main 'CFM Scouting Tool' worksheet (ignore this step if you're using the unprotected version of the V2 tool)
  4. On the V2 sheet, insert a new column between 'Age' (column E) and 'Draft Story' (column F). N.B. This is where Height gets input in V3 of the tool.
  5. On your V2 tool, highlight all the cells where you have input data in the main sheet. Only highlight between rows 2 and 401, and columns A and R. DON'T HIGHLIGHT DRAFT STATUS, TVR, DRAFT BOARD RANKING ETC.!
  6. Copy the highlighted cells.
  7. Switch over to V3 of the tool and select cell A2.
  8. Use Paste Values in the paste dropdown menu in the main 'Home' section of the Excel toolbar. N.B. you should use paste values since a standard paste operation will mess up the conditional formatting in V3.
  9. You'll probably see some previously undraftable prospects come "back to life" in V3 of the tool as potential red chips. So you may need to go back to Madden and update your watch list and scout some more players!
OMG!!!!!! Bro.....I just don't know what to say. This looks absolutely amazing man. Holy crap lol. I've always wanted to try to make a tool just like this but I don't quite have the excel skill or the time really. Thank you for making this incredible tool my man.

Question, do you still want data so you can continue to fine tune the "Red Chip" players? Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #431
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
[/list] OMG!!!!!! Bro.....I just don't know what to say. This looks absolutely amazing man. Holy crap lol. I've always wanted to try to make a tool just like this but I don't quite have the excel skill or the time really. Thank you for making this incredible tool my man.

Question, do you still want data so you can continue to fine tune the "Red Chip" players? Thanks again.

Haha you're welcome mate. Honestly, I didn't have the excel skill either (didn't even know how to use vlookups, let alone some of the hideous stuff I've got going on in the depths of the tool now) but I've been learning on the job. I actually shudder to think how many hours I've put into it now but I think it's got to be well in excess of a hundred. I've become slightly obsessed with making it as useful as possible and probably need to get a life. Next step is to convert it to a web based application and make it responsive so people can use mobile devices to access it. But that's a pipe dream currently. Nowhere near enough time to do that. Maybe for madden 18!

Yeah definitely still want more data. I'd say my blue chip criteria are about as good as I can get them unless I do a whole rewrite to include player archetypes. You get the occasional red herring madden throws in there that causes my blue chip checks to fall short, but the vast, vast majority of the time they're all good. The red chips on the other hand probably need some more tweaking. My sample data for 70-74 OVR players is a lot smaller, since v1 and 2 of the tool would have told people to stop scouting potentially after only one skill was unlocked. So yeah, keep the completed sheets coming please!

v7.1 released 16th October 2018! Check out the thread and download the latest version!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #432
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
Haha you're welcome mate. Honestly, I didn't have the excel skill either (didn't even know how to use vlookups, let alone some of the hideous stuff I've got going on in the depths of the tool now) but I've been learning on the job. I actually shudder to think how many hours I've put into it now but I think it's got to be well in excess of a hundred. I've become slightly obsessed with making it as useful as possible and probably need to get a life. Next step is to convert it to a web based application and make it responsive so people can use mobile devices to access it. But that's a pipe dream currently. Nowhere near enough time to do that. Maybe for madden 18!

Yeah definitely still want more data. I'd say my blue chip criteria are about as good as I can get them unless I do a whole rewrite to include player archetypes. You get the occasional red herring madden throws in there that causes my blue chip checks to fall short, but the vast, vast majority of the time they're all good. The red chips on the other hand probably need some more tweaking. My sample data for 70-74 OVR players is a lot smaller, since v1 and 2 of the tool would have told people to stop scouting potentially after only one skill was unlocked. So yeah, keep the completed sheets coming please!

Lol. I totally get it. Back when Ncaa 14 came out there was an editor that you could use to edit all kinds of stuff on the PC and put in back in the game. I wrote a big excel workbook that would edit a roster file and tweak every attribute for every player to a specific range, wrote one to edit a dynasty file to be able to keep incoming recruits at the same attribute range so you could continue your dynasty forever, added a random gem creator which would make some guys on lower end schools became beasts, and had a few other tweaks in there. I was the same to, with just basic excel skill and was learning on the job. Spent more time tweaking and fine tuning then actually playing the game. Cool thing is that some guys are still using that workbook even now. Makes me feel like all those hours were worth while. Anyways I'll keep the data coming for ya.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »