Home

Passing sliders: does it work like speed threshold?

This is a discussion on Passing sliders: does it work like speed threshold? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2019, 06:19 AM   #1
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Passing sliders: does it work like speed threshold?

So how does the pass accuracy slider work? Does it simply move the origin of pass accuracy to where I put it? (say, if I put it at 25, does it simply move everyone's accuracy by 25 points in the negative direction?) Is it linear, or is it more logarithmic? Does it just increase the odds of qbs throwing ridiculously bad passes? If so, does it affect qbs with certain traits or ratings more or less?

Basically, anything you know about the passing slider would be welcomed. This includes how coverage and pass blocking sliders affect accuracy, too.

Thanks.

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Passing sliders: does it work like speed threshold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
So how does the pass accuracy slider work? Does it simply move the origin of pass accuracy to where I put it? (say, if I put it at 25, does it simply move everyone's accuracy by 25 points in the negative direction?) Is it linear, or is it more logarithmic? Does it just increase the odds of qbs throwing ridiculously bad passes? If so, does it affect qbs with certain traits or ratings more or less?

Basically, anything you know about the passing slider would be welcomed. This includes how coverage and pass blocking sliders affect accuracy, too.

Thanks.

Pass blocking sliders in my experience are worthless. Pick a spot. QB accuracy makes a difference, but I cannot tell how much on All Madden. I have AI passing sliders around 30 or so and they still have no problem completing 65-75% of their passes against me.

If you are playing on All Pro you could see a bigger difference in how the sliders actually perform. Generally I like to just bump in 5 point increments. I will play a couple games and if the AI is completing too many passes I will bump the sliders lower.

I recently had to bump WR catching up because in All Madden the passing windows are so tight often times your receivers will take some sort of contact right when the ball arrives, but in my games I felt they were dropping too many of those passes. I moved it up until I felt I have a decent balance now.

I guess the take away is that it is user specific. EA has provided zero feedback on how the sliders actually perform. So the best thing to do is experiment in your own games. Don't move the sliders too much at one time, and don't take a tiny sample as law, and try and understand what is happening before making a change. Meaning if you freak out and bump run blocking sliders to 100 because you have a game where Barkley gets stuffed for 30 yards on 15 carries you could be jumping the gun. Who was your opponent? Did they call a lot of run stuffing plays ect. ect.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

For me, for human pass accuracy, it def makes me less accurate. More errant passes, especially if you’re 80-85 accurate. If you’re 90+ accurate, there’s less absolutely errant throws, I’d say. It also affects maximum passing, or precision passing, can’t remember what madden calls it, now. But, I noticed a very particular spot when lowering pass accuracy with Matt Ryan, that hit a spot where I was unable to use lead passing. If I would try to lead an open wr deep, it would absolutely be an overthrow. That’s where I found my ‘perfect’ accuracy spot. I want to be able to use lead passing, so I lower qb accuracy just until it won’t let me lead pass. I think I’ve got it at 43, now.

Hard to say whether it’s linear or logarithmic. I’d wager to guess its linear. But, I’d also say it’s not just ‘7 points’ off center in my example of using 43. There’s something else going on there. Maybe it’s a multiplicative number. Maybe in some algorithm, they start out multiplying by 50 somewhere. Or .50. U go to 43, and now it multiplies by 43 or .43 or something. Someone had a really scientific explanation somewhere that based the 0-100 scale on bits or bytes. I have no idea whether he was correct, but I played around with sliders based on what he was saying, and I noticed some things based on what he was saying. In a nutshell, he was talking bout using values like 16, 32, 48, etc. as in 16 bit, 32 bit, 48 bit. It sounds strange, and again, I have no idea whether it was legit. But, something I’ve always noticed about sliders is that I really like the number 47, lol. And, that’s 1 off of the possible 48 bit value. I feel like I see some nice randomness with that number for certain sliders. Not all sliders, but I use that number for INT and some pass cov sliders, and I like it where it’s at. I tend to find ‘divergent’ slider numbers around those values, btw. Meaning, I tend to notice more differences in sliders around 16, 32, 48, etc. This might be 17 or 33 or whatnot, not exactly 16, 32, 48, but I have tended to notice that’s where u see change. So, I’ve sort of bought into the ‘bit theory’ a little.

Over the years, I’ve noticed a couple of things on changing human pass coverage and cpu pass blocking. I feel like if u lower hum pass coverage, the cpu will throw ‘quicker’ to the first possible open target. This can be huge in seeing better cpu qb AI. It’s almost like it doesn’t really change your pass coverage, but now the cpu recognizes open men quicker and actually pulls the trigger. Raising cpu pass blocking is sort of the same thing. In some ways, it doesn’t necessarily make your pass rush less effective, it can actually help the qb throw the ball earlier, again. In essence, it feels like the game is saying, ‘pass block better, qb no take sack, so if pressure come, qb get rid of ball.’ So, those are 2 good areas to manipulate to get better cpu qb play. I think I have human pass cov at 47, and cpu pass block at 55 or 60, maybe. Raise it too high, and it’s unrealistic. But, raising it a little over 50, and you should see better qb play and taking less sacks. But, u should still be able to sack when blitzing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to implement something from these two thoughts. Does anyone else have anything? I'm hoping to get more perspective if possible. Thanks.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »