Home

Schemes, Do they even matter in M17

This is a discussion on Schemes, Do they even matter in M17 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Schemes, Do they even matter in M17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
dont schemes affect goals?

im assuming a run stopper lb has a target of tackles not sacks like a 3-4 pr?
Hmm not sure I never really paid attention to that. Perhaps it could, I suspect that it doesn't though but I can't confirm or deny that.

The player scheme's doesn't make a difference on the field though. They are there to help prioritize what type of player you want at each position, and players have a slightly different OVR based on what you are looking for.

But whether the scheme is set to "speed rusher" or "3-4 run stopper" (or whatever), Joey Bosa is still going to play the same way that Joey Bosa's plays. He may have a higher OVR with one setting as opposed to another, but the players play to their attributes, which do not change. It's just a way of customizing the OVR calculation to help you get an understanding of the type of player you prefer at each position.

The CPU may use the scheme settings (but I've heard they actually don't and just upgrade the cheapest attributes regardless) to decide which attributes they increase for a player, but not 100% sure. It helps the CPU organize their roster though at least.

Personally I wish you were able to customize that a bit more and assign your own weighting to each attribute, although people on here have spreadsheets and stuff where you can do that yourself if you want.

Last edited by burth179; 05-25-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #34
Banned

Scheme does matter when in CFM besides boost in overall. if you play in no switch leagues you will notice. if you don't it will be hard to notice because you keep switching to take over.

first get personnel that fit you scheme helps as well not everyone fits every where.
Player styles also determine how well players play. If you got a pass rushing backer with high speed and decent coverage he won't be as successful at coverage as a cover 2 lb.

I run a hybrid no matter team i play with 34 base. I put my front seven to run stop besides maybe my two olb depending on pass rushing skills and coverage skills.
Have everyone to run stop in front seven at least 5 out of 7 AI players will focus on run first. every play. if their PRC and AWR up they will play pass sooner. my safeties usually are set to play maker because I get safeties who can cover slot or tight end. CB's scheme change depending on where the level their at. however i prefer a man heavy scheme so I usually go with man or press if I got my 6'0 200+ corners with strength. Don't run support scheme for cbs if your players not good tacklers, good press, or strength.

on offense I either set everyone besides my LT to run blocker/mauler to bully opponent d line. If I can find guards who can pull with 87+ strength i put guard spots as zone blocking on their side. you got to have the right players for the scheme you using. Don't run a power run game with 3-5 of your guys strength is below 85.

I could state schemes I choose for every position and why but can't let people who I play with in LGS get insight

Pick schemes similar to your play style it helps a lot.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #35
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Scheme's were really poorly built in M13 (I know why but I can't tell:P) and it seem the current franchise team felt it was better to just minimize their presence rather than polish the turd. I don't blame them.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Scheme's were really poorly built in M13 (I know why but I can't tell:P) and it seem the current franchise team felt it was better to just minimize their presence rather than polish the turd. I don't blame them.
LOL, I wish they would matter more somehow though. Maybe radically reduce the XP a player gets. Like if you draft a Weakside OLB and that's his natural spot, I'd like to see him have trouble if you place him as an Inside Linebacker in a 3-4 and just get destroyed as a 3-4 OLB. Maybe just completely reduce the XP he gets from drills exponentially.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Or at least have awareness or something like intelligence be a factor for picking up the defense. As it stands you can just take anybody and put them in anything and have them shine.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:15 AM   #38
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
LOL, I wish they would matter more somehow though. Maybe radically reduce the XP a player gets. Like if you draft a Weakside OLB and that's his natural spot, I'd like to see him have trouble if you place him as an Inside Linebacker in a 3-4 and just get destroyed as a 3-4 OLB. Maybe just completely reduce the XP he gets from drills exponentially.
The original plan was to have XP bonuses for players playing within scheme. I don't think they completely cut that, but they definitely toned down the differences in overall calculation, which was meant to have teams value players that fit their scheme better.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #39
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimchipkelly
Scheme does matter when in CFM besides boost in overall. if you play in no switch leagues you will notice. if you don't it will be hard to notice because you keep switching to take over.

first get personnel that fit you scheme helps as well not everyone fits every where.
Player styles also determine how well players play. If you got a pass rushing backer with high speed and decent coverage he won't be as successful at coverage as a cover 2 lb.

I run a hybrid no matter team i play with 34 base. I put my front seven to run stop besides maybe my two olb depending on pass rushing skills and coverage skills.
Have everyone to run stop in front seven at least 5 out of 7 AI players will focus on run first. every play. if their PRC and AWR up they will play pass sooner. my safeties usually are set to play maker because I get safeties who can cover slot or tight end. CB's scheme change depending on where the level their at. however i prefer a man heavy scheme so I usually go with man or press if I got my 6'0 200+ corners with strength. Don't run support scheme for cbs if your players not good tacklers, good press, or strength.

on offense I either set everyone besides my LT to run blocker/mauler to bully opponent d line. If I can find guards who can pull with 87+ strength i put guard spots as zone blocking on their side. you got to have the right players for the scheme you using. Don't run a power run game with 3-5 of your guys strength is below 85.

I could state schemes I choose for every position and why but can't let people who I play with in LGS get insight

Pick schemes similar to your play style it helps a lot.
Maybe because I find players to match my schemes for the most part anyway - but I don't notice any on field difference when I do change.

I am with you as far as the player types and finding the right personnel to fit what you want to do on the field. Like in your power run example, you want offensive line with high strength to run power run plays. I am with you there.

But I still don't think the actual scheme settings matters other than the OVR can be different. I think you would find that if you have your "run blocker" offensive lineman set to "pass blocker", you would still be able to run the power plays just as well as you would if they are set to "run blocker". Because the player is actually a run blocker based on his attributes. I don't think the player would all of a sudden perform worse on power running plays if you changed his scheme to pass blocker.

Maybe I am wrong I don't know but I've played tons of games and I've never noticed the scheme setting changing anything other than OVR rating.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burth179
Maybe because I find players to match my schemes for the most part anyway - but I don't notice any on field difference when I do change.

I am with you as far as the player types and finding the right personnel to fit what you want to do on the field. Like in your power run example, you want offensive line with high strength to run power run plays. I am with you there.

But I still don't think the actual scheme settings matters other than the OVR can be different. I think you would find that if you have your "run blocker" offensive lineman set to "pass blocker", you would still be able to run the power plays just as well as you would if they are set to "run blocker". Because the player is actually a run blocker based on his attributes. I don't think the player would all of a sudden perform worse on power running plays if you changed his scheme to pass blocker.

Maybe I am wrong I don't know but I've played tons of games and I've never noticed the scheme setting changing anything other than OVR rating.
Do a test run in CFM with ya OLIne get a linebacker who don't have high block shedding as 34 tackler or run stopping low strength, pursuit than tell me if schemes don't matter.

SCHEMES determine how your player will play you still have to develop them to fit your personal style. If i have pass rushing player style LB with cover 2 scheme yet his coverages are 60 watch how he performs. Vs a lb with same coverage or better attributes set in Cover 2 with a coverage play style.

Oline put a power run blocker in a zone blocking offense than let me know how that works out for you and vise versa. he will miss blocks or rarely get to blocks if he slow. but now put him in as run blocker or Mauler watch how your run game open up if you patient along with having a back that fit your play style.

Scheme will determine how they play in SIM or CPU if you play in non switch leagues. if you constantly switching it will be hard to notice the difference in players.

Last edited by ithinkimchipkelly; 05-30-2017 at 07:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »