Home

Madden NFL 18 Will Transition to the Frostbite Engine

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Will Transition to the Frostbite Engine within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #41
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden NFL 18 Will Transition to the Frostbite Engine

Why would that matter since Madden is not on the PC?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #42
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

One thing I hope they can get now w Frostbite is the ability to see smaller/shorter players who can run fast (think Darren Sproles for example) have very fast leg "churn" and by that I mean their legs move so quickly to move them around the field that it's almost difficult to even see their legs.

Madden really loses a lot of the look of speed because of the lack of leg churn IMO.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 02-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #43
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden 18 Frostbite confirmed on EA Shareholders Call today

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Played over 500 hours of both FIFA 15 and 16 and played around 200 of 17 so far. Massive overhaul to animations in 17 and the graphics are insane. Stadiums look and feel more alive. The game plays so much better though. For instance, last year if the ball was going "near" a player they would automatically get a touch on it. In 17 that doesn't happen. It has to actually touch them for them to interact with it. There's no suction anymore. It's sick. I had a penalty shot last night that the goalie dove for and his legs were spread because he was in the air diving and the ball went right between his legs. Last year that would've been saved because it was "near" the goalie. Tough to explain without a video but hopefully I explained it decently well. This is going to be a game changer for madden.
Agree with this 100%, didn't start playing FIFA religiously until FIFA 15, but there's definitely a significant level of improvement in the aesthetics and gameplay in FIFA 17 compared to FIFA 16. Player models look much better, the lighting is tremendous, the movement of the players with and without the ball is less "video game like" and more natural. I noticed it within the first 30 seconds of playing and I thoroughly enjoy playing.

And keep in mind too, the default camera angle you play with in FIFA is extremely zoomed out so that you can see the majority of the field, and I still notice the differences in the aesthetics. Playing Madden on Frostbite with a more zoomed-in camera should be fantastic.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #44
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryClay1844
FIFA 17 is the worst FIFA of all time. The coding is horrible. The ball moves in unrealistic ways to bend to a character. Just look at some of the videos on youtube that talk about the awful ball AI this year. If that is an indication of what Frostbite does for sports games, look out Madden.
I've played over 500 online games and honestly have never seen this once.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #45
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

what's the lifespan of a gaming engine? how long has the current engine been with Madden, and with it, has it been maxed out, like have the programmers advanced it as far as it can go?

aren't we due for a new xbox in the pretty near future? how will a change in console effect the direction of madden, the way they are coding for ps4/xbone vs. how they will have to code for a new generation?

i mean it could be said that madden took a franchise hit in M17 because they new Frostbite was on the plate, so now when they drop M18, then there is a console generation change, does this have the potential for years of setback?

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
what's the lifespan of a gaming engine? how long has the current engine been with Madden, and with it, has it been maxed out, like have the programmers advanced it as far as it can go?

aren't we due for a new xbox in the pretty near future? how will a change in console effect the direction of madden, the way they are coding for ps4/xbone vs. how they will have to code for a new generation?

i mean it could be said that madden took a franchise hit in M17 because they new Frostbite was on the plate, so now when they drop M18, then there is a console generation change, does this have the potential for years of setback?
The new Xbox Scorpio isn't going to have a specific Madden written for it unfortunately. Scorpio and PS4 Pro will be the top consoles for several years at least and that means this change to Frostbite *IS* the new engine for a good long while.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #47
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
The new Xbox Scorpio isn't going to have a specific Madden written for it unfortunately. Scorpio and PS4 Pro will be the top consoles for several years at least and that means this change to Frostbite *IS* the new engine for a good long while.
I guess what i didn't realize was playstation wasn't advancing their console. I guess i don't know much about Scorpio, but i would have otherwise thought it would be like transitioning from xbox to xbox one.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #48
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyJ1976
Honestly, I believe the Frostbite Engine is all hype. I play FIFA on a regular basis and besides the better lighting, and slightly better physics, I really don't see much of a difference between FIFA 17 and FIFA 14. So I'm not expecting a significant jump from Madden 17 to Madden 18.
I agree. Honestly it feels like in FIFA 17 it's a placebo affect. I honestly don't see that much difference between FIFA 16 & 17. It's "shiny'er" to be sure. But that's it.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »