Home

Madden NFL 18 Gameplay Changes - What Do You Want to See?

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Gameplay Changes - What Do You Want to See? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #73
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18 Gameplay Changes - What Do You Want to See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Be more specific with your gameplay requests.

What do you want to see in better team differentiation?

Define improved man coverage as it compares to Madden 17.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Operation Sports mobile app
Players:
  • Unique running styles and different running styles for rookies coming into the league.
  • Unique cadences for rookie QBs coming into the leagues.
  • They scrapped unique throwing styles for a list of generic throw styles, so bring back named throw styles and more unique looking ones.
  • More archetypes like NBA2k17 that actually name right. If I am swapping a 300lb RE to LE it shouldn't make them a speed rusher.
  • Players playing like their archetypes as oppose to just matching them. A speed rusher uses more outside speed runs and finesse moves. Pass blockers getting a slight boost to pass situations. An archetype of "star" or "superstar" or "balanced" wouldn't have an archetype to follow.
  • Further split attributes for better player differentiation
  • Greater scaling of attributes rather than all players having 50+ for their position skills
  • Players to "feel" different when playing

Teams:
  • For there to be a difference in "feel" of coaches. Some are wizards with the clock, some a great half time adjusters, they're not all the same but in Madden, besides playbooks there is little difference.
  • Scheme archetype adjustments - either a team changes D-coordinator from 4-3 to 3-4, the scheme archetype shouldn't be fixed. Also a scheme might change over time to suit the players "make the scheme fit the players".
  • Proper succession planning for players at positions, i.e. not resigning a 32 year old veteran to a huge 2 year contract when there is a semi decent backup in place (especially with QBs).
  • CPU movement of players - 2 decent ROLBS on a team, one should be moved by the CPU.
  • Have a different style of acquiring players for each team, the packers draft and retain and have great succession plans and only pick up a star piece on occasion.
  • Team profiles - like NBA2k17, based on roster, coach and current W/L a team should have a profile of rebuilding/building/contending/out of contention(playing future starters more).

Man coverage - Whilst obviously there should be a difference between man and zone, in recent Maddens past, the emphasis was on man coverage as it generally worked better than zone. This year zone works better. Balancing the defence so there isn't a preference would add variety to play calling.

Edit: Also, more rookie models and rookie faces that actually match the portrait!!!! Less surfer dudes especially when the pic doesn't match!

Also, dynamic weather in game. It could get better, or worse and you need to game plan for it. Live weather report of the US showing each teams location, therefore, if its snowing in Minnesota, it's likely snowing in Chicago, Detroit and Wisconsin.

Last edited by Mattanite; 04-09-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #74
Rookie

dsk1317's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrosati56
I know this won't be popular, but the first thing I'd ditch is XP....not just how it's applied, but get rid of it all together. Have player progression tied back to age and performance and have it happen behind the scense, like it used to be years ago. This has added clutter nothing but clutter to the game. Second, change how the in season re-signings go.....why are some players locked until certain weeks? That makes no sense......Finally, just try and bring some character to the game....My favorite gaming experiences were back on NCAA taking over a small, crappy school and trying to build them up, each team actually felt different in terms of talent...if you took a UMass and played against a LSU, there was a definite difference in talent, half your playbook wouldn't work, you had to have an actual gameplan to compete and have a chance in that game...that doesn't exist in Madden, these teams and players have NO personality....Every game I play feels the same. Make it so eking out 9 wins with a rookie QB is an actual accomplishment.....starting two rookies on the right side of the OL against the Texans is a choice with consequences. Also, and this is said every year, keep us up to date with the rest of the league (drop that ridiculously terrible Twitter news screen, that thing is a mess). Again, NCAA did this well years ago, with the magazine pages (Madden once had the newspapers, same thing. In game updates from around the league would be nice (Again, NCAA had this). As it stands now, If I'm playing a 4:30pm game with the Steelers at no point do i know what else has happened around the league besides with the ticker.....seriously though, drop that twitter screen, that thing offers nothing of substance.....how many weeks would Jesse James being a trade target really be tweeted about?
I just had this exact XP conversation with a friend, and he and I couldn't agree more. In fact, the XP system is as unrealistic as freestyle/tournament play.

Sent from my XT1080 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #75
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvalachovic
I'm seeing a lot of people posting about the passing. Wouldn't a great way to effect throws be to add a release meter somewhat like a shot meter in 2k or throwing meter from the show? It could have a sweet spot almost at the end of the bar. With red at the bottom and top yellow surrounding the small green portion. You would press and hold the button of the receiver and let it go once you get it in the sweet spot. Green would throw to the best of the qb ability. Yellow with a slight risk of inaccuracy. And red with a high risk of inaccuracy. This now solves the issue of qb having easy perfect accuracy every play. It also gives the user a sense of personal investment in the qb they're using because they would have to learn the qb release timing for different quarterbacks. The sweet spot would be bigger depending on the attributes of the qb during that throw. Good deep accuracy bigger sweet spot on that deep throw. Low short accuracy, smaller green area for short throws. I think this would help solve many of the qb issues on madden.
I think this would really cool to see implemented and could possibly open up a lot in the passing game. Expanding from simply touch or bullet passing would be nice especially if they tuned THP so you could really feel the difference between QB's with strong arms. It could also emulate QB's with quicker releases as well and get rid of the ability for QB's to throw 60-yard bombs with the same release as a quick slant.

I do think though it would be something that, if implemented, would end up like the vision cone. It'd be a completely new and probably somewhat steep learning curve in a part of Madden that's largely been the same since the SNES days so I'm sure based on that alone, a large number of people would hate it and denounce it immediately without giving much of a shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #76
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Man coverage:

All Cover 0 plays: CB should be playing with inside leverage. Their man coverage rating vs the WR's route running should determine how well they maintain that leverage.

More Cover 0 Notes: Off Coverage vs deep routes. Maintain a proper cushion unless playing pressing. However, don't overplay the route. Again, the man coverage rating should determine how well he maintains the cushion. If the WR is running a go route for instance, When the WR is 10 yards down the field a good CB should be 15 yards down the field. When the WR is 15 the CB should be 18.

Man coverage in general notes: Anticipate 3 step drop routes. Play Recognition and Man coverage together should determine this. If the QB drops three steps then the CB has to anticipate a short route between 5 to 7 yards. If the QB takes a 5 step drop then the CB should be anticipating routes between 8 and 15 yards. 7 step drops and PA Shots are 18+. Play recognition, Awr, man coverage should all come into play vs route running, release. These should all come into play to determine how well that CB mirrors the WR and breaks/anticipates the pass.

Cover 1 Notes: Inside/Outside Leverage should be built into the play. Field Corner/Boundary Corner.

Field Corner is the wide side of the field CB. He can receive FS help. The boundary Corner doesn't get Free Safety help, the sideline is his help. So Field Corner should always play outside leverage with the knowledge of receiving inside help from the Free Safety. The Boundary Corner should be playing inside leverage with the knowledge that the Free Safety is not helping him and he has to use the sideline. What this should do is make post routes on the field very dangerous passes. IT should also take away a post from the boundary because the boundary CB is playing inside leverage. It should also make the slant and dig from the boundary very difficult, pending man coverage ratings of course. What it should open up on the Boundary is the fade, out, out and up, comeback. Again how well it is played will vary from CB to CB based on their man coverage ratings but the attempt at positioning should be universal.

Middle of the field - there is no field/boundary CB so we need to add some caveats.
Wide Splits by the WR's, both CB's should play inside leverage because the safety can't help both of them.

Middle of the field vs Tight Splits - Corners can expect help from the Free Safety so they should play outside leverage.

Press Coverage - should be based on funnel to help or not. Cover 1 press coverage, Field Corner should never allow the WR an outside release as he has inside help from the FS. Boundary Corner should never allow the WR an inside release as he has no help inside. Again the success of this should be based on press vs release rating. If my boundary CB in Cover 1 has a 90 press and the WR has an 80 release I don't want to look back at the tape and see this corner giving up any inside release. 90 vs 80 that WR should not be getting an inside release. He should get rerouted and the timing between him and the QB should be way off. 90 vs 90 ok, toss up, sometimes the WR gets the inside release, sometimes he doesn't. But if you are going to make it a numbers game then we need the numbers to mean what they say so we can properly evaluate the team and build around who we have.

Take these rules for man coverage and I think the game is a bit more enjoyable when calling man coverage so long as one knows the rules and knows their personnel. If they don't know the rules and their own personnel then that's on them. That said, I do think guys need to get over running man coverage every play and against every offensive formation. That's just not how defensive coordinators call a defense.

In any case, since the shading doesn't do this for us can we just have the leverage built into the Cover 0 and Cover 1 plays?

Last edited by LBzrule; 04-09-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #77
Rookie

smack23011's Arena

Better OL/DL play. I get it when there is a top notch DL players like Suh or JJ Watt that is beating my young OL constantly. But not in year 2 when joe blow rookie is doing it constantly. Also fix how they block. Its 2017 and that hasn't been fixed. Pass blocking you often see the LT/RT push the DE far out creating a bubble around the QB. The OL tries to stay in a straight line and it is super annoying, its not realistic.

Add or change the way the ball is thrown. Instead of just pressing the button or tapping it for a different throw put a meter on it or create something completely new.

If my RB is hitting a whole he shouldn't get arm tackled and warped into a tackle because he ran to close to the OL/DL players.

Please fix the CPU AI defensively. Defense's change before the play starts to adjust to what sets the O is running. Doesn't matter if a I run the same play 10 times in a row the defense never catches on and stays with their picked defensive play. I also don't understand how super LBs are back in the game when they're making super jumps when I'm throwing TE Post routes and floating the ball and they seem to catch it. Outside of DB/WRs just about everyone else stays grounded on those.

GET RID OF WARPING COMPLETELY.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #78
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk1317
I just had this exact XP conversation with a friend, and he and I couldn't agree more. In fact, the XP system is as unrealistic as freestyle/tournament play.

Sent from my XT1080 using Operation Sports mobile app
YES!!!! The entire XP system is horrible! The news page is equally terrible.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:22 AM   #79
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

More suddenness and sense of explosive impact on tackles and collisions in general. There's a very subtle, floaty, underwater type of feel to player contact in Madden that detracts from the realism. It's as if the players have no weight.

I don't know how Visual Concepts was able to pull it off from a technical standpoint but their 2k football games nailed the sense of explosive tackling and impact on collisions. I'd like to see the Madden team prioritize that as it would add an immense sense of immersion and realism while playing.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:54 AM   #80
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
More suddenness and sense of explosive impact on tackles and collisions in general. There's a very subtle, floaty, underwater type of feel to player contact in Madden that detracts from the realism. It's as if the players have no weight.

I don't know how Visual Concepts was able to pull it off from a technical standpoint but their 2k football games nailed the sense of explosive tackling and impact on collisions. I'd like to see the Madden team prioritize that as it would add an immense sense of immersion and realism while playing.
What, you don't like the absence of any smack and the annoying player grunt on every tackle this year? :P

But, to actually add to this discussion. Could there even be a kid friendly and uncensored switch in the menus? :P :P Turn off the censorship and you get the M09 shaky cam on big hits, with a huge thud and helmets flying off like in Madden's old (dare I say the ambulance...)

Edit: p.s. I know this would never happen, was having fun :P There is another thread which discusses the rumour that tackles were tuned down amid the CTE and player safety issues in the league right now.

Last edited by Mattanite; 04-10-2017 at 08:07 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »