Home

Madden NFL 18 Gameplay Changes - What Do You Want to See?

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Gameplay Changes - What Do You Want to See? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Madden NFL 18 Gameplay Changes - What Do You Want to See?

There have been a few community members that are prominent in the Madden Ultimate Team world asking their Twitter followers for constructive feedback on what they would like to see changed gameplay wise in Madden NFL 18. I'm here asking the same thing, but to the OS crowd.

Two rules - keep it constructive (and in a positive nature) and respect other's feedback (even if they differ from your own).

Other than that no opinion or idea is too big or too small.

Have at it.
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 18 Gameplay Changes - What do you want to see?

Better CPU AI, which means, better play calling in all situations, scrambling QB's that scramble, put my best DB on the opposing teams WR, double teaming the best WR, making sure all shading works, making sure FG's aren't automatic all the time, making sure punting into the wind works, re-working the OL/DL with stunts and better blocking schemes and making sure challenges work once called and to challenge what you can challenge for.

I'm all for separating MUT with FM mode, too instead of stream lining changes that make it easier because of lag online. ie making FG's easier across the board.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0

I have a few idea soft what I want to see. I want to see Connected Franchise play a little deeper. Have customization options, much like NBA2K. I also want there to be options to change your uniforms if you don't like your current ones. As an avid sports gamer, I love when you have the options to do that.

I also want to see a career mode/story mode. Is that so much to ask for? Make it that a rookie has to deal with things on and off the field, and each decision you make in a way affects your spot on the depth chart, your contract, and whether or not you get traded or released. I believe these two options would make Madden really, really solid, and would bring in a lot more people!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I'll name two big gameplay changes I'd like to see, both more strategic in nature:

1 - More specialized personnel deployment. I want to set up my deployed personnel by grouping (and notably not using formation subs). I want to set what three receivers I put on the field in 11 personnel, and also specify who is playing the slot. I want to set the SAM / MIKE / WILL in my base defense. I want to set my nickel back and nickel linebackers.

2 - I want the CPU to exercise some amount of logic in how it deploys personnel to give itself the best chance to win via a more in-depth analysis of the players it has available. The easy example of this is getting the CPU to rotate running backs without shoe-horning the behavior through auto-subs; I want to see Danny Woodhead come into the game on passing downs and leave the game in short yardage situations.

Another example of the above - in my league we are years into our online franchise, and Richard Sherman is still the Seahawks top CB and is still OVR 90+. However, his SPD rating has declined to 84. Every single user player in my league is just putting a fast WR on his side and running go routes, and he obviously can't keep up. I'd like to see the CPU know that Sherman is slow and do some amount of roster juggling to keep him on the field - because he still has great MCV / ZCV / PRS / AWR / PRC - but to put him in better positions to not get exposed. I want to see the CPU slide Sherman to nickel back or safety, and to have Sherman more frequently line up giving his guy a large cushion if he must line up outside. I don't want to see the CPU force Sherman into Cover 1 Press at midfield against a receiver who is obviously going to toast him.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

I wrote this up a few months ago. Covers a few different areas, but there's a specific segment about gameplay. Here's the link and the relevant segments

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianma.../#2764bd2d22a7

Better Awareness For CPU-Controlled Defenders

There are times when CPU-controlled defenders take unrealistically improper angles to the ball carrier. This is most apparent on outside runs. Oftentimes, they don't even appear to be attempting to avoid pulling guards, fullbacks and offensive tackles.

We don't need 100 percent pursuit from mediocre defensive players, but sometimes the angles taken by defenders aren't accurate tendencies for players on a pro level.

Better QB AI

Quarterbacks take off and run more than they have in the past, but still not quite as often as they should. QBs who are known scramblers still seem to leave the pocket only as a last resort.

QBs with strong arms who historically take multiple shots down the field aren't as daring in Madden 17 when under CPU control.

Something needs to be done to better match QBs with their real-life tendencies.

*All-Madden Passing

Playing on All-Madden shouldn't be about faster kick meters and players playing above their ratings. It should be about carrying more responsibility and not being able to depend on CPU assistance as much.

The passing game is a prime example.

Throwing to a spot rather than a receiver could make for a more realistic passing game. This would be a major undertaking that might require a complete rehaul of the passing game, but it could potentially be the most impacting change in Madden's gameplay history.

Players would still pick an intended receiver by pressing the corresponding button, but instead of throwing to the man and having it somewhat follow him like a magnet, the ball would go to a spot.

You'd have a small meter that gauged the height and wideness of the throw. The more accurate the passer, the slower the meters. You could use the triggers or back buttons to control the type of pass (bullet or touch).

Using the left stick would still allow you to throw the ball to the left, right, low or high, but depending on the situation, the window for completion would be smaller, and thus the meter would be more difficult to time.

Also, this entire timing mechanic doesn't take into account the position of a defender. This measurement is solely related to getting the ball to the spot where the receiver is, or should be headed.

User QBs in Madden would have more to think about using All-Madden passing.

Improved Line Play

Most of my gripes are with the run blocking. Sometimes it takes offensive lineman too long to decide who to block when they have what should be a clear assignment. On defense, I still feel as though defenders are sucked into blocks when they are in close proximity with offensive linemen.

This is a very difficult fix, but perhaps inserting an animation that has the blocker extend a hand to make contact with the defender could improve the visual result.

*Injuries Away From the Ball

In real football, every player is susceptible to injury. In Madden, you have to be part of a tackle sequence to get hurt (unless the game is simulated). The reason for this is the lack of off-ball injuries. It's an unfortunate aspect of real-life football, but it should be in Madden.

Better CPU Clock Management

Late in games the CPU's clock management is dreadful. From passing the ball at inopportune times, to prematurely going into run-only mode with a lead, the late-game clock management logic needs to be addressed.

Weather Should Have More Impact on the Gameplay

In rain and snow, we should see more drops, bobbles and even passes that get away from quarterbacks. The wind should affect throws, not just kicks. There should also be a little more slipping on muddy or wet fields.

Make Home-Field Advantage Matter

I like the disruption of passing symbols for QBs who are playing on the road, but a slight bump up in the attributes of players on the home team should give the proper home-field advantage.

Random Follies

Crazy plays happen in football. We need to see the random bad snap, cornerbacks falling down in coverage, personal fouls, muffed punts and other less-than-perfect plays on the gridiron.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

Un-tethered passing so all passes thrown aren't exactly between the numbers of the recievers.

Last edited by Crunky; 04-06-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #7
Just started!

OVR: 0

In online franchise mode...the option to choose how much of the game you want to play needs to be removed or have it to where the commissioner controls. Choosing to play offense only needs to be just for offline franchise
Old 04-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Connected Career (or Franchise) that doesnt freeze after every game would be kinda NEAT

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »