Home

Expanded Attributes

This is a discussion on Expanded Attributes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #17
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Expanded Attributes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
I like your ideas for progression. A system that is fluid and dynamic would be such an improvement. XP was an ok idea but I don't think the devs anticipated its shortcommings. It's too exploitable and predictable. No guys boom. No guys bust. Let them start and rack up xp.

Your expanded ratings and a progression system that weights many factors, or even completely random, wouls be welcomed.

The possibly that no two CFMs would progress the same would be amazing. Start one Goff is the biggest bust. Restart and he's a GOAT.… NICE
Thanks. I'm writing up a thread for the coaching tree and coaching attributes to try and tie in with this progression system but would create a naturally dynamic coaching carousel.

The problem with a more random progression path tied to a hidden potential rating and visible progression and regression rating would be online leagues.

It would be harder for an online coach to force feed xp to their 1st round bust or if they get 2000yards with a RB but the player has a soft cap because of the potential and progression ratings they might never be 99ovr rating despite their stats... Buuuut I feel attributes should contribute to performance not performance dictating attributes.

Also, free agency would be crazy. Everyone might target that raw QB that has a high progression rating in the hope their coaching staff can see an increase in skill ratings. But what if your QB whisperer OC gets headhunted away and it hinders the QB development. You then have Blake Bortles on your hands. Tonnes of potential and physical talent but failed to make that leap last season.

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #18
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Great ideas Geodude. I'm all about bringing out the most in player ratings, replicating their real life counterparts, in Madden. I totally enjoyed reading the whole thread actually.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #19
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Another article I've found which backs up the need for both hand fighting and balance attributes for the OL and DL. Imagine a scouting report that possibly lists "other hobbies/sports". If you see "wrestling" next to an OL that you think is a bit of a project in terms of skill, their balance might be exceptional and worth a pick. Balance would affect how they resist a bull rush or pancake block, whether the OL leans too high (or waist bender) so gets toppled easy or falls forward too easy when the DL uses a side step finesse move. If you play OL or DL and you're on the floor, you're finished for the play!

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-v...-vikings-draft
Old 05-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 1

id add situational awareness (st awareness/knowledge of rules ie kick returned steps out of bounds, reaches in to touch ball and create a penalty on the opposition gb have done this twich both ex stanford iirc so links to wunderlic/intelligence and ability to think on feet)

football iq they need to convert 3rd and v long dont even try and bite on pa, cant afford to take a sack in 2 min drill when clock running drop a catch in backfield as it would be result in neg yards, keep in bounds to keep clock running etc
Old 05-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #21
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
id add situational awareness (st awareness/knowledge of rules ie kick returned steps out of bounds, reaches in to touch ball and create a penalty on the opposition gb have done this twich both ex stanford iirc so links to wunderlic/intelligence and ability to think on feet)

football iq they need to convert 3rd and v long dont even try and bite on pa, cant afford to take a sack in 2 min drill when clock running drop a catch in backfield as it would be result in neg yards, keep in bounds to keep clock running etc
You would hope this is how AWR would work in general...

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #22
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Okay, so after a bit more thought (and thanks to the person who called me out for being a bit lazy on the expanded defensive attributes). I think if WR are getting a route tree breakdown then defenders should also get a man and zone cover breakdown.

Each has 4 sub attributes and would allow a differentiation in players within different coverage schemes. So if you have a SS with low Deep zone but high hook zone, you're going to run slightly more Cover 3 instead of Cover 2 schemes if you feel he is overmatched. Cover2 or Tampa2 CBs could now be differentiated and could also result in new CB archetypes.

Similarly, if you run the Leo and that player now gets a flat zone rating which would be a lot higher than the hook, curl and deep zones which they would be awful in. DTs and 3-4DEs that play a lot of zone blitz can now be differentiated instead of having to give them one generic "zone" rating.

For man, I wanted something that differentiated press and off man players more, some are great when pressing but some prefer off man to see the WR initial route. I also wanted something that differentiated the good and bad players on deep balls so that a good short pass defender known to choke on deep ball defence is there. But it also meant that you can stack your team with CBs great at Deep Man and Deep zone players and force opponents to go underneath or pay.

See what you think
Old 05-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #23
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Added a Coverage Tile concept drawing. Basically, I can see from the attributes that this is a decent starting CB with coverage ratings of 79 and 84 in Man and Zone respectively. However by clicking on the tile I can see a better break down of the CB. Their curl and flat zones are average and their hook zone is above average therefore I can somewhat trust this DB in Cover 2 zone and cover3 if they're playing Nickel or Dime.

Their off-man is better than their press man by a long shot as well as their overall press and hand fighting being very poor therefore I will avoid putting this DB in press and will likely adjust my entire coverage scheme accordingly.

Where this DB excels however is against the deep ball with 95 deep man and 99 deep zone. Therefore in Cover3, Cover4, Cover1 with off-man and Cover 2 man this DB can be trusted to lockdown any WR on the deep ball.

Think of your Asante Samuel type during his time with the Eagles. Great Cover3 CB and fit well in the scheme, but they brought in CB Nnamdi Asomugha as a big free agent well known for his bump and run style coverage with the Raiders (and Samuel was traded away) but the Eagles asked him to play off and Cover 2 and Cover 3 more, like Samuel, and he didn't fit that style well so looked like he regressed in his first season. It's not just as simple as "man/zone" for attributes, there are nuances to each DB.

Ha, the opposite of this would be 2012 Bronco's safety Rahim Moore who probably would have a terrible deep zone rating after giving up the Joe Flacco Hail Mary in the AFC Championship to send the game to OT and the Ravens onto the Superbowl!!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #24
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

This is awesome, I think "body catch" and "hands catch" should be a % split based attribute, body catches are seen as a negative in football, you never want to allow the ball to possible hit off of a pad or let the ball come into you.

I think this could really separate elite WRs from average WRs. Having a WR who catches with his hands 89% of the time as opposed to s WR who uses his body 65% of the time could be a HUGE difference.

Also tracking should be an attribute that goes into that.

The route tree ideas are excellent, and would really differentiate a deep threat from a slot, from an all around WR, from a possession WR. Etc.

Good work. Rex, get in here!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »