Home

Question About Strong Safety Positioning and Defensive (Auto)Flipping

This is a discussion on Question About Strong Safety Positioning and Defensive (Auto)Flipping within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Question About Strong Safety Positioning and Defensive (Auto)Flipping

When the defense flips a play, or auto flip is used, will the SS align with the strength of the offense or will the SS always line up on their original side of the field?

On previous generation EA football games, this was always on the offenses right side, which made the concept of having a SS vs. a FS kind of arbitrary and made it awkward when you flipped a play and the FS would get the robber or in-the-box assignment instead of your SS and FS simply switching spots on the field.

I don't have Madden 17 (or a current gen console) so I can't answer this question for myself yet nor can I glean it from videos I've seen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Re: Question About Strong Safety Positioning and Defensive (Auto)Flipping

I've found it depends on formation. For instance, a standard base 4-3 cover 3 fornation will swap the safety zones and positions. But a 4-6 formation with safety blitz will keep the SS on the line but flip the Lbs so the safety is just blitzing from the other side. Most of the time I find flipping the play flips the safeties so beware if you play a cover 3 focused scheme.

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude
I've found it depends on formation. For instance, a standard base 4-3 cover 3 fornation will swap the safety zones and positions.
Does this mean if the formation defaults to both Safeties back, then a flip will result in a switch of assignment only?

To rephrase ... assuming a Cover 3 play called without flipping entails the FS starts on the offensive left side of the field has a deep 1/3 and the SS is on the right and is assigned some intermediate zone - does flipping mean both safeties stay in the same position and the SS just takes a deep 1/3 and the FS takes an intermediate zone?

If so... that's disappointing
Old 05-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Yes, the sides stay the same but the assigned zones flip. They will move positions if required unless it's a disguise like Cover 3 show 2. There maybe other cases too with formations I gave less experience in. For instance, I think big dime sets the middle safety will change sides.

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »