Home

Madden NFL 18 - ID the Mike

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 - ID the Mike within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #25
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18 - ID the Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
I need some football 101 help....why wouldn't the offense ID the Mike on every play?....it appears this is optional in the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, I think I'd say in real life, it could depend on the blocking scheme to begin with. I'm not sure what the % is of actually calling out the Mike. It might be different per team or per scheme or per QB. Or, only if the QB is worried about a blitz or something. In madden, with this now being an option, it merely adds the reality of u, the QB, picking the correct Mike to 'aim' your blocking. So, the game is leaving it up to u. If, pre-snap, u like your blocking scheme, don't worry about it. If u notice the D is strong 1 way or the other. Or, if u think a blitz is coming from 1 side or the other, u may want to shift who the Mike is, again, to 'aim' your blocking for better protection. I'm thinking this will help the game determine who/where the RB blocks. And, again, this is an interesting addition for extra realism and gives u more thing to think about pre-snap than can help u succeed. And, I would think the game will still play 'good' if u never use this. But, if u use it, u get a boost of lack of boost on a play that could make a big difference in the game.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #26
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

This is how to ID the Mike.

It will basically fix things like nickel blitz 2 because the back would automatically know who to block based on who is identified as the Mike.

https://youtu.be/ICXjA8h1AhE
Old 06-01-2017, 10:07 PM   #27
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Some of these folks on Twitter are making me insane(must be a day ending in "y") you have people complaining about this mechanic and then adding a CFM hashtag. Reps CFM, is angry about a real element of football being added, SMH.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #28
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04

It will basically fix things like nickel blitz 2 because the back would automatically know who to block based on who is identified as the Mike.

So my question is, is it more like the video or more like what Rex mentions which seems to allude more to identifying the blitzer rather setting the mike. I'd probably prefer more like the video but I guess if they both essentially accomplish the same thing then it really doesn't matter and I can't complain. Definitely looking forward to this as it can add a ton beyond just setting up protection and add a whole pre-snap game of bluffing/disguising pressure on the defensive side.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:52 PM   #29
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Some of these folks on Twitter are making me insane(must be a day ending in "y") you have people complaining about this mechanic and then adding a CFM hashtag. Reps CFM, is angry about a real element of football being added, SMH.
I'm not sure I'm understanding the radio silence in here, either. Competitive gaming is brought up and it's SIM/CFM is second banana.

SIM gamers are thrown a definitive bone and you can hear a pin drop.

I am going to love this feature if it picks up on unblocked LB's from the past Madden and will love it even more when I don't call out the right MIKE.

Let's hope more SIM/CFM features are brought up at EA Play. Maybe we aren't the forgotten step child after all.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #30
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
So my question is, is it more like the video or more like what Rex mentions which seems to allude more to identifying the blitzer rather setting the mike. I'd probably prefer more like the video but I guess if they both essentially accomplish the same thing then it really doesn't matter and I can't complain. Definitely looking forward to this as it can add a ton beyond just setting up protection and add a whole pre-snap game of bluffing/disguising pressure on the defensive side.

At the end of the video it talks about making the mike the lb on the side of a blitzing safety. So what Rex is talking about is the same thing as how it's done in real life

for instance if your opponent comes out in nickel and you think the slot CB is blitzing then you would say the mike is the lb closest to that CB. So the RB would know to block to that side. If the "Mike" blitzes then the center takes him.

It's just to set up your pass pro in a real way.

That's my understanding of it anyway. We'll see how it ends up

Old 06-01-2017, 10:57 PM   #31
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

Thanks for posting this vid charter. I don't know a lot of the 'coachspeak' so when I saw this tweeted today, I have to confess I didn't totally understand the implication.

....NOW I get it....and this now gets me really giddy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #32
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
At the end of the video it talks about making the mike the lb on the side of a blitzing safety. So what Rex is talking about is the same thing as how it's done in real life

for instance if your opponent comes out in nickel and you think the slot CB is blitzing then you would say the mike is the lb closest to that CB. So the RB would know to block to that side. If the "Mike" blitzes then the center takes him.

It's just to set up your pass pro in a real way.

That's my understanding of it anyway. We'll see how it ends up
Yeah, I'm probably just confused by the way he worded it here:

Made it seem like you'd be highlighting the corner. But if it works then it doesn't really matter. It's a big step forward for the sim and competitive side and shows that they're making a concerted effort at improving protection and line play which was one of my biggest issues with 17. Very excited to see this in action and how it plays alongside target passing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »