Home

Off-Ball Injuries Are in Madden NFL 18, Changes to Hit Stick Functionality

This is a discussion on Off-Ball Injuries Are in Madden NFL 18, Changes to Hit Stick Functionality within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #65
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Off-Ball Injuries Are in Madden NFL 18, Changes to Hit Stick Functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Madden last gen definitely offensive line injuries in the game. So much so kickers and punters would be put on the line in place of them and perform just as well.......
Yeah. As someone who played a few seasons of Madden 06 (Xbox/PS2) I can definitely confirm that OL injuries were very much possible without a fumble recovery or tackle being required. On my current franchise I have a 90 OVR LG that I drafted that is currently out and I also remember seeing Willie Roaf get injured a number of times. They're rare, likely because the only thing that I believe triggers them is the pancake animation, but they're there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
No sir, it's not nagging at all, OL injuries during gameplay isn't a feature, it's a fix to an issue within the injury system. There is an entire thread about this from last year, in that thread is this same MO of defending this fix not being added, by devs and others, as a feature that isn't priority, doesn't matter much to most gamers, etc, just completely downplayed. Now that's it claimed to be done, it's supposed to be praised as the greatest thing since the stove, according to some of those same "others". Imo, that's far more exemplary of trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Everything doesn't have to be lumped into praise or criticism, the lack of OL injuries during gameplay deserved criticism but that doesn't mean the inclusion of it now, deserves praise. OL being able to be injured during gameplay is a good thing, that should be acknowledged and I'm glad to see it fixed..

That said, I'm unclear on what "offball injuries" actual entail and will be interested to learn how this impacts the overall injury system.
On the feature/fix debate, it is semantics. Off ball injuries were not present in the game, they are now; so I call it a feature. A bug would indicate it was intended to be there but didn't work. Think of it like buying a used car that doesn't have AC. Are you going to call the mechanic and tell them your AC is not working? Could we both agree that AC should be a standard feature on all contemporary cars?

Like CM said, we are not praising them for putting this in the game. Truth be told I think it was one of the minimum expectations going into this year. But no comment that I've read justifies your use of hyperbole here. No one is even coming close to warrant the stove comment.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #67
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0

At least we're going to get 100s of rookie names added to the commentary. Can't wait for them to try and say some of the madden generated names haha Kirby Kirby or Ivory Hunter.

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #68
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Speaking from an engineer's persoect, you are 100% wrong. This absolutely is a new feature and not a bug fix.
This wasn't a bug fix. But the injury system was very poorly designed and implemented. It left a very important feature of NFL football missing from the game.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #69
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
On the feature/fix debate, it is semantics. Off ball injuries were not present in the game, they are now; so I call it a feature. A bug would indicate it was intended to be there but didn't work. Think of it like buying a used car that doesn't have AC. Are you going to call the mechanic and tell them your AC is not working? Could we both agree that AC should be a standard feature on all contemporary cars?

Like CM said, we are not praising them for putting this in the game. Truth be told I think it was one of the minimum expectations going into this year. But no comment that I've read justifies your use of hyperbole here. No one is even coming close to warrant the stove comment.
I meant to add to my post that even though I quoted your post, I wasn't referring to you with "others" and I wasn't directly referring to any individual but all who took that POV in the thread I referenced, which I'm not even sure you even posted in.

Now, I didn't say anything about a "bug" fix, nor was I talking about offball injuries when referring to fixing an issue, I specifically stated OL injuries in gameplay. I can't stand "playing semantics" and that's not what I was doing, there is a distinct difference in offball injuries and OL injuries during gameplay with regard to Madden. I'm not making that up, feel free to check my post history on this topic last year, I've consistently tried to make that distinction to avoid any misunderstanding. Reason being, last year when it was revealed that OL couldn't be injured during game play, people asking about that in tweets, often got inflated to a request for offball injuries. Depending on what offball injuries entail, I'd probably agree with that being a feature but like I stated in my post, I don't know what all offball injuries entail and I was specifically referring to OL injuries in game play.

With that distinction hopefully being clear, having OL being hurt in game play, like all the other positions is NOT a feature, it's a fix to an issue that has existed for awhile. As others have stated, there was a time in Madden, prior to CCM, when OL could be injured in game play.

Finally, of course the stove comment was hyperbole, you'd be hard pressed to find many general inventions as good as the stove, much less anything done in a video game. The point was to emphasize how extreme some POVs had shifted about OL injuries from last year when they weren't in game to now that they are.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 06-12-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #70
#1 conrhusker fan

huskerfan4life's Arena

OVR: 13

I really like that they added the off ball injuries as this will put true realism in the CFM's that everyone plays

Follow Me On Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/bigbadjz

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »