Home

IS MADDEN 18 WORTH BUYING? - Madden 18 Q&A with iMav3riq

This is a discussion on IS MADDEN 18 WORTH BUYING? - Madden 18 Q&A with iMav3riq within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #41
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: IS MADDEN 18 WORTH BUYING? - Madden 18 Q&A with iMav3riq

I'm still very much on the fence. I'll likely end up buying a physical copy to play Longshot a few times, but I intend to keep my Madden 17 Franchise going, unless some changes to the mode in 18 that interest me come along that we haven't heard about yet. Then I can trade in the physical copy until it's free on EA Access, since I prefer to play the game on the X1 anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #42
MVP

Brooke2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Definitely buying it . Going to upgrade to either Ps4 pro or Xbox one X. And update my monitor to 4k. That's why I was hoping for some gameplay vids to see how much if either difference it will look on the Xbox one x or ps4 pro.
I won't make a decision until I see a mix of both consoles showing off gameplay.

My reasoning is the graphical and smoothness upgrade along with target passing. I have been wanting target passing since NFL fever . I'm also interested in long shot . Prob won't play it at first but come Jan and feb when the replay value starts to go down for me , this would be a good thing to try to keep it going.

Also looking into the minor upgrades to player models and equipment . Prob very little here , but anything is welcomed.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:52 PM   #43
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
For me there is no "king" in a video game, with respect to game play vs franchise because both are equally core to my long term enjoyment. I emphasize "long term" because if game play was solid but not franchise or vice versa, there's only so much time after playing the game before the lack of one aspect limits the enjoyment of the other for me.

Considering this, it makes it all the more frustrating looking back at where Franchise mode was in M12 and the seeming trajectory for it, based on the rhetoric coming out of EA Tib about HC09-isk, NFL based adaptions at that time, to what they did in M13 CCM. To make matters worse, imo, that was the foundation for Franchise mode heading into the new consoles for M25 and beyond. So whatever strides game play has made from M13 to today, which while far from having arrived or being something akin to what "Sim" gamers have clamored for over the years, is more NFL realistic than M12, makes the lack of NFL realistic strides in Franchise mode within that same time period, even more glaring and disappointing.
100% agree. While not mutually exclusive they should both still work together in making the game an overall more enjoyable experience and it feels like that's not the case IMO. With gameplay we've had them continuously taking steps towards being more simulation and they've definitely succeeded from that standpoint and have taken good strides in that area in the last few years. And then currently it seems like the gameplay focus is transitioning into an emphasis on the hyper-competitive aspects of the game and both directions seem to directly clash and conflict with the direction of CFM.

On one side you've got gameplay putting an emphasis on realism and integrating deep faceted features to increase the skill gap while CFM seems to do everything it can to be an arcade, extremely shallow, paint-by-the-numbers mode. So in the end you've got two areas of the game that are supposed to be working together and they're both tugging in complete opposite directions and basically working against each other.

There's always a lot of talk comparing The Show and 2K in terms of wanting CFM to be "on par" with those modes and, quite frankly, at the current pace they're probably at least ten years from being where those games are at right now in that area so hoping for that to ever be the case is kind of a lost cause. But back to the gameplay vs. franchise thing, franchise has also drastically fallen behind Madden's gameplay from a quality standpoint and with one getting a ton of attention this year and the other virtually none, that huge gap is just going to continue to grow. Franchise has basically suffered through two upheavals with M06 and then the most recent being M13 and the first time around the two were at least equally bad but with the latest transition we're probably seeing the biggest discrepancy in quality gap between gameplay and franchise that Madden has ever had. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree but I'd gladly sacrifice significant gameplay improvements for probably the next couple of years if it meant getting CFM up to the same level that gameplay is currently at. It really shouldn't even have to be an either-or scenario though.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #44
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
There's always a lot of talk comparing The Show and 2K in terms of wanting CFM to be "on par" with those modes and, quite frankly, at the current pace they're probably at least ten years from being where those games are at right now in that area so hoping for that to ever be the case is kind of a lost cause.
Deuce generally I agree with most of the things you post, but this I have to 110% disagree with you here. Madden's current CFM isn't what Madden 05 and Madden 12 offered, but it's going to get back to that point in a few years.

Also, while 2k17's franchise is good...The Show's is pretty average honestly and has much needed work as well.

But I don't think Madden needs "atleast ten years" like you're saying.

Last edited by extremeskins04; 06-26-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:11 AM   #45
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
Deuce generally I agree with most of the things you post, but this I have to 110% disagree with you here. Madden's current CFM isn't what Madden 05 and Madden 12 offered, but it's going to get back to that point in a few years.

Also, while 2k17's franchise is good...The Show's is pretty average honestly and has much needed work as well.

I have no confidence at all that Madden's Franchise Mode will get back to Madden 2005-2007 XBOX/PS2 era any time soon. The things that game was doing was pretty advanced for what Madden has now, especially on the player personality front. Madden 12? Sure. I liked that Franchise Mode, but it wasn't anything extraordinary (and also had a glitch that never got fixed where rookies would generate with mutated shoulders, even if imported from NCAA). I loved Madden 12, but it's not a high benchmark.

NBA 2K's franchise modes are great. Absolutely astonishing what they do. I remember when that blog hit for 2K16 where they talked about all the things they were finally given the greenlight to do, and I just kept wishing I was reading a Madden blog, instead. (not a big basketball fan)

I agree with the MLB: The Show assessment. Everyone praises it a lot, but I feel like some of those people haven't even played it and are just going based off what they've heard. It's a very stale mode that has the same issue that Madden currently has: it's pretty lifeless. Although, at least that game has a radio show that keeps you in the loop. It's not amazingly executed, though. It's got a cool Trade Finder feature, which helps a lot, and it can go pretty "inside baseball" (finally used that term for baseball)

At this point, I think folks like myself are probably hoping for too much to even think that Madden 19 will be the year Franchise gets a strong creative effort. Maybe Madden 20 is even hoping for too much...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2017, 02:02 AM   #46
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04

I'm just looking at the way CFM features have been implemented in recent years and how they've been consistently poorly thought out and executed. That paired with some of the mind boggling decisions they make within the mode and it doesn't give me much faith that they are anywhere close to getting back to a point like that where franchise feels like a complete package. You look at something like the watch list/draft board from M16 and now we're onto M18 and it has barely been improved at all. Then something like gameplanning which was a good idea but was made so shallow that it still needs a ton of work to be considered a well-rounded, worthwhile feature. Same with XP and regression. There's just so many things that have no depth and huge issues that require so much time to fix and improve year-in-year-out and it takes a huge amount of the already finite resources and time away from improving other things or adding to the mode.

And then I think about all the stuff missing from the mode whether it be coaching staffs, RFA, compensatory picks, waiver wire, etc. and know that I likely can expect to maybe see one of those per year and it really makes me wonder A) how long is it going to be before we see all of that kind of stuff in CFM? And B) how long is it going to be before it's all in and then actually all works together in a coherent and well crafted manner? Personally, I think it's more than a few years away from coming close to that especially as long as they continue to prioritize simplicity and accessibility over depth. But I'd love more than anything to be wrong on that.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #47
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

If we are comparing to other sports game, everyone loved NBA's 2k gameplay up till the last few years. Last year, they blow out FM and it's a deep immersive mode that allow some people to play for a long while.

However, there are a lot of folks like me that can barely get through a game to franchise mode because the gameplay isn't anywhere near where it was even a few years ago.

The way I see it, it's difficult to find a sports game that is completely balanced at this point. ie great in all areas.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I'm just looking at the way CFM features have been implemented in recent years and how they've been consistently poorly thought out and executed. That paired with some of the mind boggling decisions they make within the mode and it doesn't give me much faith that they are anywhere close to getting back to a point like that where franchise feels like a complete package. You look at something like the watch list/draft board from M16 and now we're onto M18 and it has barely been improved at all. Then something like gameplanning which was a good idea but was made so shallow that it still needs a ton of work to be considered a well-rounded, worthwhile feature. Same with XP and regression. There's just so many things that have no depth and huge issues that require so much time to fix and improve year-in-year-out and it takes a huge amount of the already finite resources and time away from improving other things or adding to the mode.

And then I think about all the stuff missing from the mode whether it be coaching staffs, RFA, compensatory picks, waiver wire, etc. and know that I likely can expect to maybe see one of those per year and it really makes me wonder A) how long is it going to be before we see all of that kind of stuff in CFM? And B) how long is it going to be before it's all in and then actually all works together in a coherent and well crafted manner? Personally, I think it's more than a few years away from coming close to that especially as long as they continue to prioritize simplicity and accessibility over depth. But I'd love more than anything to be wrong on that.
Don't forget about the 'Practice Squad' from last year. It was supposed to be only the beginning of something to be built upon so they could 'get it in'. At least that was the reasoning that it lacked depth, proper rules, and AI. Let's see how the base gets 'built' upon this year.

How about the golf clap for expanded rosters few years ago? Where have we gone with that? What's the point if nothing happens to them b4 you have to cut them...and after the 1st pre-season game no less? The CPU AI has figured it out, since it never approaches near the 75 man limit after the 1st year.

And Deuce I'm right with you, I also hope I get to eat crow, and my sarcasm...but would anyone really bet against it at this point?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »