Home

New Madden 18 gameplay video

This is a discussion on New Madden 18 gameplay video within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #57
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: New Madden 18 gameplay video

I went back to my post to see what caused such an uproar and maybe it's just reading/interpreting a post on the internet.

I did say when a QB turns upfield, as in past the LOS.

Is that wrong?

I'm also not a fan of the standing in line, stomping their feet animation and agree, that should go.

Here is a scramble from Rodgers last year week 8 vs the Falcons. Also, the Packers have designed scrambling plays to free WR's.

I see at least 4 OL that don't have any DL around them when Rodgers evades pressure and a one of the DL giving chase to Rodgers and one LB giving chase, while 3 Packers OL are merely just jogging on the right side before Rodgers motors past the LOS around the right side for a huge gain.

That's what I meant by a QB going upfield. I definitely agree if the QB is behind the LOS, at all cost, protect the QB and stay engaged until they start moving upfield.

Please feel free to point out nicely if I'm not seeing or understanding this properly.

I also agree with some of the later game mechanics lacking,that EA should have DE's blowing by upfield more.

About the 3:45 mark: (maybe I'm missing something?)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...ons-highlights

Last edited by roadman; 07-16-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #58
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
While I can appreciate some people's enthusiasm of laterally running offensive linemen, let's get the blocking perfected as best as possible on the LOS first and also in screens and pitch out plays.

I would much rather have that right now then wondering why a 345 pound fat guy is trying to run with a mobile QB that is sprinting laterally across the field instead of running forward.

That's just it. If u want good screen blocking, u need Olinemen that run laterally and simply know how to 'block,' in general. If they programmed the players to just overall, 'block better,' or maybe, 'always find someone to block,' or as someone put it 'seek and destroy,' the scrambling QB blocking would be better and the screen blocking would be better. Ultimately, what seems to be missing is 'dynamic' blocking. And, I'm not saying it's an easy thing, either. I mean, who knows unless you're under the hood? But, again, it just appears to be 'blockers can only do x, y, and z,' and if u need them to be more dynamic on any given play and do 'a, b, and c,' they just aren't programmed to do it.

This is also why u don't see more dynamic blocking from FBs sometimes. I just played a game yesterday. Ran a simple I-formation stretch play. The FB is always a little slow. The DE gets a huge burst and the OL gets a 'side block' on him. While this DE gets side blocked, he runs INTO the FB. At this point, I want to see the FB hold his ground and block this individual. It means he gives up his downfield assignment, but this is what's necessary for dynamic blocking.

They need to create a system where linemen constantly 'seek and destroy' in relation to where the QB is. They should have some sense of if the QB rolled out, or is dodging Defenders, and constantly try to get in between the QB and defenders. And, including the FB for sure, they should have an instant 'collision detection system' (CDS) that instantly changes they're blocking situation or philosophy to instantly engage the collision.

In the most simplistic terms, it really just needs to be more dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #59
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
I love the huddling together and stomping their feet. Every time I watch any replay, really, this happens at some point in the play. At least 1 lineman gets beat at some point, and he seems to figure, 'well, I guess I got beat. But, I should keep my heart rate up. I think I'll stomp in place till the whistle blows.'

In all seriousness, I think u can tell how they're programmed. They seem to only have the concept of 'blocking upscreen', u know? They have some sort of programming for their idea of pocket creation as well. So, the tackles seem to be able to block almost sideways. And, the guards tend to block up to a 45 degree angle, maybe. So, all in all, they really seem to have restrictions on their Olinemen that need to be removed. But, more than likely, that would lead to more block in the backs or something. But, it would be great if they tried to fix that at some point.

I've always argued they do seem to have specific logic to specific players. U see it most in Olinemen. Instead of just being 'football players who happen to block,' they are part of the 'collective group that block to form a pocket (or try)'. So, I think something gets lost in translation, there. Hence, we get the stomp feet huddle.

That's a good point. Perfection is not something we'll ever get. While I think it's an eyesore, I'd rather have a real pocket. I do hope that they continue to improve over time, however.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #60
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
That's just it. If u want good screen blocking, u need Olinemen that run laterally and simply know how to 'block,' in general. If they programmed the players to just overall, 'block better,' or maybe, 'always find someone to block,' or as someone put it 'seek and destroy,' the scrambling QB blocking would be better and the screen blocking would be better. Ultimately, what seems to be missing is 'dynamic' blocking. And, I'm not saying it's an easy thing, either. I mean, who knows unless you're under the hood? But, again, it just appears to be 'blockers can only do x, y, and z,' and if u need them to be more dynamic on any given play and do 'a, b, and c,' they just aren't programmed to do it.

This is also why u don't see more dynamic blocking from FBs sometimes. I just played a game yesterday. Ran a simple I-formation stretch play. The FB is always a little slow. The DE gets a huge burst and the OL gets a 'side block' on him. While this DE gets side blocked, he runs INTO the FB. At this point, I want to see the FB hold his ground and block this individual. It means he gives up his downfield assignment, but this is what's necessary for dynamic blocking.

They need to create a system where linemen constantly 'seek and destroy' in relation to where the QB is. They should have some sense of if the QB rolled out, or is dodging Defenders, and constantly try to get in between the QB and defenders. And, including the FB for sure, they should have an instant 'collision detection system' (CDS) that instantly changes they're blocking situation or philosophy to instantly engage the collision.

In the most simplistic terms, it really just needs to be more dynamic.

You make some good points Hanky.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
TGC 2 came out almost three years after the first one.
Thanks for the back-up and proving my point. TGC was release aug 2014. The same month as Madden 15.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #62
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

The pass blocking in this game is a dated legacy system, essentially the same since Madden 2001. Its been past time for a overhaul I say we demand change from Clint and the team in that area of the gameplay.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #63
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
The pass blocking in this game is a dated legacy system, essentially the same since Madden 2001. Its been past time for a overhaul I say we demand change from Clint and the team in that area of the gameplay.
Well with all the other legacy issues they say they fixed this year they probably just ran out of time
Old 07-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #64
Pro

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Clint was brought in to work on line play?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »