Home

Madden 18: Game Styles

This is a discussion on Madden 18: Game Styles within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #113
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 18: Game Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
I'm starting to get concerned that the competive guys that want injuries will play on sim mode then start complaining and sim mode will get nerfed and we will be right back where we are today lol ! I'm not criticising those comp guys i understand what they want just a little concerned. I hope they understand what we want out of sim mode, and know that, if they choose to play on sim.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
That's a distinct possibility and a very good point. I love the fact that EA went this route but have they created a whole bunch of problems in the process?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #114
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Osprey
So if you wish to play "sim", you can utilize sliders/settings to tailor the game to your version of "sim", including having injuries OFF, but if you wish to try competitive you can't have injuries on?

By adjusting sliders, you can make sim play more competitive or arcade. Would seem to me that instead of creating three different game styles, maybe they should have expand on the sliders/settings and utilize those to create different or customized gameplay.
Honestly, I think that's what they've been trying to do for the last several years without success.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #115
Rookie

cheddabob7502's Arena

OVR: 3

in regards to the game styles, I wonder why some people don't talk about the arcade style more. I have a couple ideas that could make people want to play it. I personally would love it to be simplified (ALA NCAA) with one button play. Push A (XBOX) or X (For PS4) for passing,tackling and auto switching closets players (like Blitz use to be for passing). Default Playbooks should be simplified to were they don't have much depth. Add in the BIG Over the top Tackles, Catches, Runs, ETC. The reason I would like for this mode to be over the top simple and fun, is so I can get my wife, daughter, Family to play. Think about it, when we try to get our significant others, they are intimidated by the amount of information processed. We should be able to play all styles Online as well. I really would wish this mode would be a TRUE arcade style.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #116
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddabob7502
in regards to the game styles, I wonder why some people don't talk about the arcade style more. I have a couple ideas that could make people want to play it. I personally would love it to be simplified (ALA NCAA) with one button play. Push A (XBOX) or X (For PS4) for passing,tackling and auto switching closets players (like Blitz use to be for passing). Default Playbooks should be simplified to were they don't have much depth. Add in the BIG Over the top Tackles, Catches, Runs, ETC. The reason I would like for this mode to be over the top simple and fun, is so I can get my wife, daughter, Family to play. Think about it, when we try to get our significant others, they are intimidated by the amount of information processed. We should be able to play all styles Online as well. I really would wish this mode would be a TRUE arcade style.

I don't agree with the one button to do all thing, I think that might be kind of hard to implement, but simplification of some things might be interesting for arcade.

And, as much of a sim guy as I am, I agree that playing a random game on arcade for a min would be fun, actually. When, u think back to all football games over the years, there was always some bit of arcade to any of them including any that wanted to be true sim. I mentioned in another post somewhere how much I loved the stiffarm in NFL gameday 97 and 98. That was COMPLETELY arcade like, because u basically punched the defender and he fell flat on his face. It was FANTASTIC!! Lol

So yeah, if they do arcade mode correctly and basically overpower the effectiveness of all special moves, on offense and defense, absolutely, u could have a fun time.

And, I do hate to say this, now, again, as much as I want sim in my offline solo CFM, I think I might actually prefer an arcade mode online to just whip wicked moves the whole time. I think a part of why I've never liked online play is the qtr length. It never feels sim when u play 5-6 min qtrs. Granted, most people don't want to play a pickup game of vid game football for 2 hours, so I get that. I've always understood that. But, suddenly, my thinking of playing a 'quick' game of madden online, I'm starting to think I'd rather have it more over the top and pull wicked jukes and big stiff arms. So, strangely, I think I actually see the arcade point of view.

I still love playing 2 hour games offline sim getting 120-140 plays for real stats, and I don't want every juke to work, and whatnot. I'll still always want that for realism in a CFM. But, yeah, pick up and play and juke all day, I'm ok with that, too. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #117
Rookie

cheddabob7502's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
I don't agree with the one button to do all thing, I think that might be kind of hard to implement, but simplification of some things might be interesting for arcade.

And, as much of a sim guy as I am, I agree that playing a random game on arcade for a min would be fun, actually. When, u think back to all football games over the years, there was always some bit of arcade to any of them including any that wanted to be true sim. I mentioned in another post somewhere how much I loved the stiffarm in NFL gameday 97 and 98. That was COMPLETELY arcade like, because u basically punched the defender and he fell flat on his face. It was FANTASTIC!! Lol

So yeah, if they do arcade mode correctly and basically overpower the effectiveness of all special moves, on offense and defense, absolutely, u could have a fun time.

And, I do hate to say this, now, again, as much as I want sim in my offline solo CFM, I think I might actually prefer an arcade mode online to just whip wicked moves the whole time. I think a part of why I've never liked online play is the qtr length. It never feels sim when u play 5-6 min qtrs. Granted, most people don't want to play a pickup game of vid game football for 2 hours, so I get that. I've always understood that. But, suddenly, my thinking of playing a 'quick' game of madden online, I'm starting to think I'd rather have it more over the top and pull wicked jukes and big stiff arms. So, strangely, I think I actually see the arcade point of view.

I still love playing 2 hour games offline sim getting 120-140 plays for real stats, and I don't want every juke to work, and whatnot. I'll still always want that for realism in a CFM. But, yeah, pick up and play and juke all day, I'm ok with that, too. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First and foremost i appreciate your response and understanding. I do love playing sim offline and when in online ranking match i mix up my sim style and adapt to my opponents style of play.

I do believe it is possible to map everything to one button. It was in NCAA 12 I think were they had that option. Reason i would like to see in madden is because I played against my younger cousin and they were able to be competitive against me. Passing and playing defense was easy for them and fun for me. That type of enjoyment I believe would go across the board.

I would love arcade to be simplified and over the top moves, hits, jukes, etc. It would be the closest thing to a "sim" style blitz (if that makes sense). I understand the nfl is against the Blitz style gameplay but it would just be fun to have arcade style mean ARCADE style. Like those stiff arms, even in gameday when they would rip off the jerseys lol those were the days, and helmets flying off. It would give the developers a chance to show off their hard work with face scans and everything. I just see it as a win win situation.

I mean they can tune the other styles of the game in Madden 18, so why can't they tune this style for REAL Casual audience (with little to no experience in gaming). I'm all for it because i would like to play with my daughter and wife.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »