Home

Possibly a Madden reunion...

This is a discussion on Possibly a Madden reunion... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Possibly a Madden reunion...

I've played sports video games for over 30 years now. And for a vast majority of that time football video games were arguably my favorite. My hay day was when you could merge draft classes from NCAA Football into Madden. I thought that was the coolest feature ever. In fact, some of you guys may still remember that I used to make NCAA Football rosters on the original XBox, long before the age of uploading/downloading them. I would receive dozens of memory cards in the main every week. Anyway, that's simply to say that I used to play Madden... a lot. But after 2005 I started a steady decline in football video gaming that eventually resulted in me not even buying the game anymore after the awful Madden 06 on XBox 360. Periodically I've bought a Madden game here and there and tried to play it. I think the last one that I even played a full season on might have been Madden 10.

But this year, for whatever I'm particularly I interested in buying and really getting into Madden. But I need to know a few things from you Madden vets that have played the game regularly of late.

The ONLY mode I care about is franchise mode. Period. Nothing else interests me in the slightest. However, I want the game to play very realistically and since I'll be using the Chicago Bears, I want to make sure I'm not going 15-1 in my first season and winning the Super Bowl. I was to the point years ago where I would win too regularly on All-Pro and was close to All-Madden. But the thing that drove me absolutely nuts was the way the game changed on the highest difficulty. Instead of making the CPU smarter it just boosted CPU player rating to a ridiculous effect. For example: I would have a wide receiver with 95 speed be chased down from behind in the open field by a defensive lineman. That kind of stuff drove me nuts. Does this still happen on All-Madden? How exactly does the game change from All-Pro to All-Madden? If I do a franchise with the Bears I want to have to rebuild the team, not win a Super Bowl in my first or second season.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Possibly a Madden reunion...

All-Madden still just boosts the CPU player ratings over yours. Really, that is the only way it could work. Given how difficult AI design/programming is, it would make no sense (and be unfair to those that prefer All Pro) to artificially handicap the AI on that level (or any other).
Old 07-22-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
Rookie

Darkwolf90's Arena

OVR: 2

They haven't really said how difficulty will effect the AI on the different play styles(At least that I've noticed), but according to EA the Sim play style should play like you want. I plan on using the 49ers, so if you haven't bought the game by the release date I'd be happy to test All-Pro and All-Madden for you. I've gotten to a similar point as you, All-Pro is starting to get too easy, but All-Madden is still a bit too difficult for me on Madden 17 and older.
NHL: San Jose Sharks
NCAA: LSU Tigers
Old 07-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Geez. I think you might be in for a pleasant surprise, man. Lol. All-pro default really isn't that bad. And, this year, they added a 'sim' style that hopes to play more true to real NFL and more true to ratings. So, if u play with the Bears, u should struggle to start out.

Mileage varies, of course, and some people will say, 'I went 16-0 every season' or something. But, I can say that I'd didn't. Lol. But, after a few years of drafting and proper free agency, I tend to go 15-1 or 14-2. There's always a couple of games I struggle with for whatever reason. Overall, the gameplay is much better than 06. But, u may find the CFM options a little lacking. But, seriously, u sound about the same way I felt around 06 between the all-pro and all-madden settings. And, I can seriously say that now all-pro default is the way to go for me. I never bothered to try all-madden, though, because I struggled just enough on all-pro and all-pro really just feels 'right' now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

I use All Pro default sliders as they worked amazingly well last year. I also play coach mode only.

I'll usually do a Cleveland Browns rebuild, and last year it took me 5 years to make the playoffs, and then another 3 years to win my first Super Bowl with them. This was playing 8 games out of the year and simming the other 8 (just so there is balance). And when I say playing, I mean strictly coach mode in game.

The other way I play is I'll do a Fantasy Draft, but I'll let the AI draft for me, and then do coach mode as well. THAT is fun cause you don't know who the AI is going to pick for you.

Also, I usually Hanky's scouting tool which ended up giving me extra franchise life and I played about 20 seasons before I got burnt out a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I've played sports video games for over 30 years now. And for a vast majority of that time football video games were arguably my favorite. My hay day was when you could merge draft classes from NCAA Football into Madden. I thought that was the coolest feature ever. In fact, some of you guys may still remember that I used to make NCAA Football rosters on the original XBox, long before the age of uploading/downloading them. I would receive dozens of memory cards in the main every week. Anyway, that's simply to say that I used to play Madden... a lot. But after 2005 I started a steady decline in football video gaming that eventually resulted in me not even buying the game anymore after the awful Madden 06 on XBox 360. Periodically I've bought a Madden game here and there and tried to play it. I think the last one that I even played a full season on might have been Madden 10.

But this year, for whatever I'm particularly I interested in buying and really getting into Madden. But I need to know a few things from you Madden vets that have played the game regularly of late.

The ONLY mode I care about is franchise mode. Period. Nothing else interests me in the slightest. However, I want the game to play very realistically and since I'll be using the Chicago Bears, I want to make sure I'm not going 15-1 in my first season and winning the Super Bowl. I was to the point years ago where I would win too regularly on All-Pro and was close to All-Madden. But the thing that drove me absolutely nuts was the way the game changed on the highest difficulty. Instead of making the CPU smarter it just boosted CPU player rating to a ridiculous effect. For example: I would have a wide receiver with 95 speed be chased down from behind in the open field by a defensive lineman. That kind of stuff drove me nuts. Does this still happen on All-Madden? How exactly does the game change from All-Pro to All-Madden? If I do a franchise with the Bears I want to have to rebuild the team, not win a Super Bowl in my first or second season.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
1. Considering you have Mitch trubisky and Mike glennon in 18, you're probably not gonna even get 10 wins, unless you have a really good run game (I don't know much about who has a good and bad o-line in the NFL). The passing in madden 18 passing accuracy is a lot more try to player ratings then it used to be and the blocking has been completely changed for the better in 18.

2(kindve answered).There are now three modes to play a game in madden 18 which are sim, competitive, and arcade. Sim mode (probably what you'll wanna play for franchise mode) which stays true to player rating but can also have unpredictable stuff happen like in real life. Considering this, maybe all Pro and all madden are closer and maybe all madden isn't only winnable for the user if you're playing as the patriots against the jets. You can also always find custom gameplay sliders on the madden online tap on the homescreen. Also speedy players can now only be caught from behind by speedier players (unless they have low stamina

P. S.
The franchise mode main screen menu thing gets Kindve dull after a while but the gameplay in madden 18 is supposed to be a lot better and scouting and the draft can be fun, depending on the draft class you get. Unfortunately none of the players you draft in MADDEN 17 (unless you drafted a qb or cb) weren't a big factor during the game for their first 2 or 3 years (unless they had an op rating like super speed with a low total overall), which I hated in MADDEN 17, not sure what it would be like in 18
Old 07-23-2017, 02:47 AM   #7
MVP

Toupal's Arena

You make a great point....

Coaching does not matter at all in Madden. Thus it means nothing in Franchise mode.

Players have been asking forever to add assistant coaches back into the game, but have been left in the dark.

I think it is important when setting difficulty to make intelligence just as important, if not more so that overall rating.

I want a team with a good coach to know what plays I like to run frequently, or pick on a bad player of mine, or just keep running the same offense or defense until I can figure it out.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
Pro

barsoffury's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm having a reunion of sorts with Madden this year after a 6 year separation. I was a religious Madden player for multiple years but the love turned sour and at the same time I was drawn in by NCAA's lure and he held me oh so tight up until now. For various reasons. Mainly because I finally got a ps4 pro and the ps3 has run it's course.
A lot has changed during my Madden separation but I'm looking to rekindle that love beginning this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »