Home

Madden NFL 18 Player Ratings - Top Running Backs

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Player Ratings - Top Running Backs within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #17
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 18 Player Ratings - Top Running Backs

Madden has always had a problem judging skill vs production. AKA, they have a tough time accounting for the ability of other players when judging an individual; in this case, how much the o-line (QB & WRs too) adds or suntracts from a RBs production.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #18
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

OVR: 0

Marshawn should not even be mentioned given he took a year off he should be rated 80 and have to work himself up during the season. My honorable mention would be Thomas Rawls.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #19
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Lol. I'm a hardcore Falcons fan and a fairly hardcore seminoles fan. David Johnson is a better overall back. Lol

I almost picked Johnson in 1st round of ff last year because of seeing him in madden, first. Lol. He actually did quite well against me in the video game, and I really hadn't seen him much. I picked Mr walking injury Gronk, instead. ☹️. Needless to say, Johnson was a top ff guy all season. Extremely consistent. And, if u watch him run, he's just got 'it'. And, he catches extremely well. He's a shifty, smart back with some power.

I love Freeman, I really do. He might be a little faster in speed or acceleration, but even those should be close as Johnson is solid there as well. I have a feeling Freeman is going to have a really big year this year, though. So, we'll see what it looks like at the end of the year.

For anyone that wants to debate Coleman being better than Freeman, as someone who watched every Falcons play, I, honestly feel he got some 'lucky' carries and 'lucky' playcalls. Meaning, Freeman would run a couple of plays and the Dline was all over him. Coleman would come in, atl would run a play action to the flat or something, and the D was nowhere to be found and Coleman would get a 70 yard TD or something. Lol. I actually loved and hated that because I do like Freeman better and do believe he is better than Coleman, for sure. Even though Freeman is small, he's tough to bring down. He's got the spirit of a back that doesn't want to go down in a small package. Coleman falls down if someone breaths on his shoelace. Lol.

But, again, as much as I love free, I know Johnson is a better back. And, yeah, until now, I think Johnson has been underrated. I'm not sure, now, after last season. He's an all purpose all around consistent back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #20
All-Pro

ATLBrayden's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Lol. I'm a hardcore Falcons fan and a fairly hardcore seminoles fan. David Johnson is a better overall back. Lol

I almost picked Johnson in 1st round of ff last year because of seeing him in madden, first. Lol. He actually did quite well against me in the video game, and I really hadn't seen him much. I picked Mr walking injury Gronk, instead. ☹️. Needless to say, Johnson was a top ff guy all season. Extremely consistent. And, if u watch him run, he's just got 'it'. And, he catches extremely well. He's a shifty, smart back with some power.

I love Freeman, I really do. He might be a little faster in speed or acceleration, but even those should be close as Johnson is solid there as well. I have a feeling Freeman is going to have a really big year this year, though. So, we'll see what it looks like at the end of the year.

For anyone that wants to debate Coleman being better than Freeman, as someone who watched every Falcons play, I, honestly feel he got some 'lucky' carries and 'lucky' playcalls. Meaning, Freeman would run a couple of plays and the Dline was all over him. Coleman would come in, atl would run a play action to the flat or something, and the D was nowhere to be found and Coleman would get a 70 yard TD or something. Lol. I actually loved and hated that because I do like Freeman better and do believe he is better than Coleman, for sure. Even though Freeman is small, he's tough to bring down. He's got the spirit of a back that doesn't want to go down in a small package. Coleman falls down if someone breaths on his shoelace. Lol.

But, again, as much as I love free, I know Johnson is a better back. And, yeah, until now, I think Johnson has been underrated. I'm not sure, now, after last season. He's an all purpose all around consistent back.

I think Freeman is the better pure runner but Coleman is more explosive. He's got faster straight line speed (Freeman got insane agility and jukes) and can take any carry to the house. Also a great receiver (which Devonta is too).

I definitely prefer Coleman in madden though, speed is already great just boost his trucking and you've got an animal.

My NBA 2K19 Lakers Dynasty -https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-nba-2k19.html

PSN: GetYourSwooshOn
XBL: Gunslinger7O2
Old 07-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #21
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrayden
I think Freeman is the better pure runner but Coleman is more explosive. He's got faster straight line speed (Freeman got insane agility and jukes) and can take any carry to the house. Also a great receiver (which Devonta is too).

I definitely prefer Coleman in madden though, speed is already great just boost his trucking and you've got an animal.

Lol. I can't lie. Coleman was doing better for me in madden early as well. . But, that also might've been based off of an early roster. I think a later roster would have Freeman better, overall. And, yeah, I agree, Coleman has better straight line speed. But, watching Freeman last season vs rookie season was actually quite different. He has that burst, man. His legs look like pistons or something chugging up and down as fast as they can. And, he starts and stops better, and yes, he has got some jukes. He's been quoted as saying, 'I want to be more disrespectful as a runner' lol. I believe him. I think he's going to break some tackles u wouldn't think his size could break.

And, Coleman, I loved the pick where we got him in the draft. Totally worth it. He is fast for sure. And, he can catch as well. Freeman is better at catching, imo, but Coleman is fine. And, I agree, in madden, u up his truck a little, and he becomes a little beastly. I like his size. But, in real life, he is NO beast. Lol. He, legit, falls down way too easy, imo. He's fast enough to gain yards before getting hit, so he's a great 2nd to Freeman, imo. But, he just seems 'soft' to me.

I think after final rosters were made, Coleman and Freeman had pretty close speed numbers, so in madden, in that regard, they're pretty close.

I tell u what u do, man, if still playing, or might try this in 18 if u think about it, play Coleman as punt returner. Lol. I made this switch in my 1st or 2nd season because he wasn't getting enough carries, and looking at him, he should be solid. And, as u said, with a little truck, he was totally solid as a punt returner for me. He had the speed to get upfield, and I'd truck a fool when they finally got in his way, and/or he's got some juke/spin ability. So, yeah, he actually became my main punt returner.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #22
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow36
I think Freeman is the better overall back

Sent from my SM-G920T using Operation Sports mobile app
I dunno about that. Everyone can have an opinion, but Johnson did more with less help, in my book. The Falcons had more weapons for defenses to account for, so Freeman got less focus, whereas the Cardinals was almost "stop Johnson and you stop the offense" lol. More yards on the ground, WR type #'s through the air, more touches overall. As an overall threat, I think they got it right. Johnson should be rated higher than Freeman.

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #23
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Shouldn't even be a question. David Johnson is a better back than Freeman.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Lol. I can't lie. Coleman was doing better for me in madden early as well. . But, that also might've been based off of an early roster. I think a later roster would have Freeman better, overall. And, yeah, I agree, Coleman has better straight line speed. But, watching Freeman last season vs rookie season was actually quite different. He has that burst, man. His legs look like pistons or something chugging up and down as fast as they can. And, he starts and stops better, and yes, he has got some jukes. He's been quoted as saying, 'I want to be more disrespectful as a runner' lol. I believe him. I think he's going to break some tackles u wouldn't think his size could break.

And, Coleman, I loved the pick where we got him in the draft. Totally worth it. He is fast for sure. And, he can catch as well. Freeman is better at catching, imo, but Coleman is fine. And, I agree, in madden, u up his truck a little, and he becomes a little beastly. I like his size. But, in real life, he is NO beast. Lol. He, legit, falls down way too easy, imo. He's fast enough to gain yards before getting hit, so he's a great 2nd to Freeman, imo. But, he just seems 'soft' to me.

I think after final rosters were made, Coleman and Freeman had pretty close speed numbers, so in madden, in that regard, they're pretty close.

I tell u what u do, man, if still playing, or might try this in 18 if u think about it, play Coleman as punt returner. Lol. I made this switch in my 1st or 2nd season because he wasn't getting enough carries, and looking at him, he should be solid. And, as u said, with a little truck, he was totally solid as a punt returner for me. He had the speed to get upfield, and I'd truck a fool when they finally got in his way, and/or he's got some juke/spin ability. So, yeah, he actually became my main punt returner.

There's guys that run 'angry' and they're my favorite backs to watch and coach. Freeman is one of those. Rawls and Lynch are that way too. Peterson has that when he's healthy. Freeman's physical attributes are not that great, but he looks 'quicker' because he's so aggressive. There's hardly ever any hesitation in traffic. He has very good vision and sets up blocks very well. He also 'sticks' his cuts, meaning there's authority in the movement. He plants and almost bounces like a spring off it. Most guys have to transition in and out of cuts or take multiple steps.

Saying all that though, he's not as talented overall as D.Johnson. Him and L.Bell are very special, the most complete backs. I agree with them as the top 2. After that, it starts to become interchangeable for 'ranking'. There is a nice 2nd tier talent pool of backs right now in the league.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »