Home

Shots Fired by 2k at "other sports games"

This is a discussion on Shots Fired by 2k at "other sports games" within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #41
#1 conrhusker fan

huskerfan4life's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Shots Fired by 2k at "other sports games"

I think that it was out of line for 2K to take a shot at EA/Madden because they are 2 different games but on the other hand, maybe this will be the best for the future of the franchise mode in Madden

Follow Me On Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/bigbadjz
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan4life
I think that it was out of line for 2K to take a shot at EA/Madden because they are 2 different games but on the other hand, maybe this will be the best for the future of the franchise mode in Madden
Well whats interesting here is John was put on franchise for Live, a direct competitor of 2k. If this fuels Live franchise improvement then we should see a lot of those port over to Madden. So in a way this could be an indirect driver of Franchise improvements for Madden.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
I can't believe this Dev team thought it was great idea to come up with "Longshot"

Yet the thread is praising the devs that brought you the Spike Lee experience.

What's funny is that after having bought 2K basketball for the last several years, looking forward to Live this year because at least I feel like I'm controlling a player instead of just triggering animations. 2K has felt like a lumbering beast for years, and a more intensive franchise mode does nothing to fix that. Just more stuff to do that isn't playing the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #44
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan4life
They're two different sports. But they are competing with one another, as well as every other game released during the last quarter or so of the year for our dollars. I don't subscribe to the "competition breeds innovation" theory. The overall better product wins in the long haul. And their vision keep it pushing forward. EA invented franchise. They could drop HC on steroids if they want/deem it necessary. Hopefully this spurs them towards deeming it necessary.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #45
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

What are your thoughts on 2K calling out other sports games? Was it fair?

It's definitely fair and refreshing because when layman gamers call out EA Tib it often gets spun and demonized as ignorant hating. So it's validating to see other actual AAA game devs, that face the same realities in creating games that EA Tib and their defenders use as an excuse, calling out the core issue in regard to EA Tib's philosophies/approaches.

Could this potential spark a feud between the two, and potentially drive madden to put more into franchise?

No on both counts. With feud I think of a rivalry and to have an actual rivalry, each one needs to be capable of besting the other and I see no chance currently of EA Tib besting 2K/VC. That's not some blind fanboy charge, that again goes back to the difference in philosophies, 2K's seems all about replicating its' respective sport, while EA Tib seems on some other stuff and imo the replication approach is the best for simulation gaming.

As far as driving Madden franchise goes, I've come to the conclusion that traditional Franchise modes are counterproductive to EA Tib's business model of planned obsolescence for Madden. So 2K excelling in a mode, imo , EA sees as a less than ideal investment, wouldn't have any effect on what EA does for Madden. Again a difference in philosophies.

How much farther ahead, if at all, do you think 2K is ahead of Madden?

2k is immeasurably further ahead when it comes down to what matter most in a sports simulation game, replicating the respective sport. Whenever I read anyone equating solid servers to replication of the sport, I'm taken aback, that's like saying McDonalds is comparable to Five Guys because of their drive-thru and bouncey castle. Sure those things are nice to have but when it comes down to the most important thing about a burger joint, the burgers, there is no comparison.

Would the applicable features from 2K be something you would want in Madden?

Of course because again, 2K doesn't do anything groundbreaking, in a creative sense, they just replicate what the NBA does and I would love to see Madden do that with the NFL across the board.

In a time where we only have ONE football game, can NBA 2k be a competitor to madden?

No because I don't see anyway NBA2k effects the bottom line for Madden enough, thanks to MUT and the exclusive. To be a competitor I think there would need to be the potential for NBA2k to drastically effect the sales and profit of Madden but there isn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #46
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

I think it was fair for 2k to call out other sports games. 2k is miles ahead of Madden when it comes to franchise mode.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
What are your thoughts on 2K calling out other sports games? Was it fair? Yes, why not?

Could this potential spark a feud between the two, and potentially drive madden to put more into franchise? Again, yes, why not? Now, the Madden developers have ammo to the suits and marketing. I don't know if 2k has the same size as the Madden team,(I'm referring to everyone from the secretary on up) sometimes, the more layers you have in management and inbetween plus sidetracks(ie, marketing), the more red tape/layers/personalities you need to cut through) The differences could lie in all the layers of management and marketing, big fish in small pond vs small fish in large ponds.

How much farther ahead, if at all, do you think 2K is ahead of Madden? Offline franchise, 2k is miles ahead of Madden, online franchise, Madden is miles ahead of 2k. Game play, I was not impressed with 2k at all last year and it remains unclear where that is headed this year. I'm more gameplay over franchise, but I understand I'm in the minority when it comes to that and people need both. I just know I'm not very good with the GM aspect of games, I'd rather play them out vs play around with front office type of stuff. That's just me, though.

Would the applicable features from 2K be something you would want in Madden? Dueces's mock up and Shopmasters list should be plenty of inspiration. Duece said it best in the rebuild thread, Madden can add over the next few years and fire shots back regarding online franchise modes. I'd say if Madden upgrades FM over the next few years, Madden can take the high road and not fire any shots back.

In a time where we only have ONE football game, can NBA 2k be a competitor to madden? I didn't think of it as a competitor type "shots fired." In the franchise thread where we are having a similar type discussion, Lexicon said maybe the 2k developer is a fan like us and is tired of MLB and Madden not excelling in an area that he is. Also, he could of been taking a shot at Madden trying to help out little brother.
I think this is a pretty fair assessment (other than gameplay. Imo, 2k's blows Maddens out of the water).

Maddens Online franchise is vastly superior, and that may be because its offline mode is somewhat limited compared to 2k's. That's not necessarily a shot because Madden has a solid franchise mode. Just could be ahead of where it is.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #48
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

I will say this was a great blog that was released yesterday..it was really all geared towards offline play..Let EA come up with a CFM blog and most of the features are geared towards offline play this site would be nuts and people would be outraged to the max..so it was cute but they have their own community problems too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »