Home

Shots Fired by 2k at "other sports games"

This is a discussion on Shots Fired by 2k at "other sports games" within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #57
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Shots Fired by 2k at "other sports games"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I admire 2K's commitment to its franchise mode but for as in-depth and feature-heavy as it's been, it's still an absolute mess. They really shouldn't be hyping it up or overly proud of it.

I'd rather have a bug-free franchise experience with far fewer features and customization. CFM is shallow and has its bugs but I played seven seasons in CFM in Madden 17. It worked for the most part and I enjoyed myself outside of the scheduling disasters where I'd play five straight home games followed by five straight road games.

I couldn't play my second season in my Knicks MyLeague. Some of the goofy stuff I saw...
  • Both Popovich and Steve Kerr were fired after the season. Hornacek disappeared from my team so I hired Pop.
  • During the draft, 7 of the first 9 picks were traded including some absolutely awful deals - trading two guys in the mid 70's for a Top 10 pick.
  • I traded Courtney Lee at the deadline. Lee just completed the first year of his 4/$48m deal and at the free agency portion of the off-season he's a UFA. How is that possible?
  • The built-in draft classes are a mess in terms of appearances. Wacky numbers, accessories, and tons of guys with cornrows like it's the early 2000s. Granted custom draft classes are available, I was surprised at how awful the 2K ones are.
This x 1000. I dont get why 2k franchise modes get so much hype suddenly. Whats the use of all these new additions, features etc. if the trade logic and everything else what the cpu does is just trash and makes the mode unplayable if you are not willing to 30 team control...
Old 07-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #58
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
I think this is a pretty fair assessment (other than gameplay. Imo, 2k's blows Maddens out of the water).

Maddens Online franchise is vastly superior, and that may be because its offline mode is somewhat limited compared to 2k's. That's not necessarily a shot because Madden has a solid franchise mode. Just could be ahead of where it is.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Operation Sports mobile app
Agree with everything, except strongly agree to disagree with gameplay. (to each their own) Let me know when the CPU defensive AI is alive and well.

Only positives can come from that shot moving forward. Now, the ball is squarely in EA's court.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #59
Rookie

MetalBeldo's Arena

I am a die hard football fan, and I buy Madden every year. However I just casually follow the NBA, couldn't tell you the last time I watched a full game, but yet I buy 2K every year because I love the features, and depth of MyGM.

I wish 2K would make an unlicensed football game.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #60
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBeldo
I am a die hard football fan, and I buy Madden every year. However I just casually follow the NBA, couldn't tell you the last time I watched a full game, but yet I buy 2K every year because I love the features, and depth of MyGM.

I wish 2K would make an unlicensed football game.
This 100% me. I'm sure a lot of other people are in the same boat as well.

I'm the worst basketball fan in the world, but yet every year I buy 2k because it is a fun game to play.

If Madden had the features 2k had, I would have no other reason to play any other video game.

Football is king, and it's time it's video game reflects that same excitement and awesomeness.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
This 100% me. I'm sure a lot of other people are in the same boat as well.

I'm the worst basketball fan in the world, but yet every year I buy 2k because it is a fun game to play.

If Madden had the features 2k had, I would have no other reason to play any other video game.

Football is king, and it's time it's video game reflects that same excitement and awesomeness.
You described me almost perfectly. I am a basketball fan. But I am not an avid basketball game player.
However, like you I will buy 2k religiously every year because it is just hands down (to me) the best sports game on the market. It has so many features. It really brings to life all aspects of the sport (from crowd, announcing, movements...etc)
If Madden had 2k's features and life, it would easily be the best game on the market, regardless of genre/category/console. Simply because, like you said, Football is King right now.

Madden unfortunately, doesn't bring it in all areas. Like the 2k tweet said, "other sports games" need to improve.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #62
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

What are your thoughts on 2K calling out other sports games? Was it fair?

All is fair in love and basketball, or so I'm told.

Could this potential spark a feud between the two, and potentially drive madden to put more into franchise?

I don't think there will be a feud, but if I were the Madden team, I'd be pretty embarrassed right now. Of course, if I were the Madden team, I would have been embarrassed a long time before this, but maybe they don't pay attention to NBA 2K. Rex has said a few times before that he's not a basketball fan, nor does he seem like a guy who gets deep into Franchise Mode, and he's probably the loudest voice to the execs on that dev team. Execs make the call, but devs pitch ideas to them, and who knows where Franchise has been in those pitch meetings.

How much farther ahead, if at all, do you think 2K is ahead of Madden?

If NBA 2K were to cease development after this year, I think Madden is 3-5 years behind NBA 2K. However, the great thing about the NBA 2K team is that they don't stop innovating and adding. There's no signs of them going anywhere, so Madden is a distance behind 2K in perpetuity.

Would the applicable features from 2K be something you would want in Madden?

At this point in Madden's Franchise Mode, I'm not really concerned with the minute details that VC is adding to MyLeague. Madden has bigger fish to fry first. Madden needs player personality, staff expansion, relationships, and player badges. That's all stuff that was in NBA 2K years ago. So I'm not super worried about whether Madden has contracts that you can front load, back load, even out, option, etc. They need to get the mode to stop feeling lifeless and start feeling dynamic. Dynamic should be their mantra going forward. I want to feel like the Mode is talking back to me, instead of just feeling like a spreadsheet with Play Now attached. So yeah, the NBA 2K features in the blog would be great, but let's build the foundation first.

In a time where we only have ONE football game, can NBA 2k be a competitor to madden?

It is competition. They release a month apart, NBA 2K sells more than Madden (which is ridiculous, given the popularity of the NFL compared to the NBA), two of the oldest studios in gaming right now, east coast vs west coast, different views on how to engage consumers... I mean anyway you slice it, these are competitors. Even though they aren't the same sub-genre, they're still the same genre of sports games. And if I'm an executive, I'm asking questions as to why this NBA game is even close to our NFL game in terms of sales.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #63
Rookie

You guys who are trying to make counter points are entitled to opinions but I don't get posting them in a thread like this. The point of the thread was about the "shot fired" and blog about "Innovation. Authenticity. Engagement" in Franchise mode. The blog mentioned nothing about bragging about game play or online functionality.

If game play is not up to par in 2K or if the said features don't work right, that is a different story for a different thread. We can use those comments for when Madden comes out and their new features work or don't work. What we want here is at least the effort by EA to match 2K in "Innovation. Authenticity. Engagement" in regards to CFM.

If you guys are in here reading this thread, I assume you want a better overall Madden game. Whatever gets EA to care more about CFM is a plus for all of us. Why try to side track the thread?

And for the record, I don't disagree or dispute your points. They're just not relevant to the point of this thread or the message we want EA to receive. Now, if you don't want Madden to be have more "Innovation. Authenticity. Engagement" in CFM or think it's "very good" already, then by all means, fire away with counter points.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #64
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

This MyGM Next Chapter sounds off the hook.

You get to go face-to-face with players and owners in a story mode and deal with personalities? That's everything I've been hoping for from CFM.

I'm a little bit older now. I don't too much dig on the online stuff, but I'm really into the team building and management. This is the type of thing that would keep me invested in the game. As it is right now CFM just kind of gets stale after a few seasons. I usually take over a new team to keep it fresh. There's nothing really that dynamic. It's a little too easy to hold onto guys and I never have to worry about keeping anyone happy. I remember in the PS2 days there were holdouts, there were guys not happy with their role on the team, etc.

That shot was absolutely fair. 2K is putting in work while Madden's CFM is looking flabby and sick.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 07-28-2017 at 02:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »