Home

Shots Fired by 2k at "other sports games"

This is a discussion on Shots Fired by 2k at "other sports games" within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #1
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
Shots Fired by 2k at "other sports games"

NBA 2k has released its' version of franchise mode features in the following write up.

However, this year they did not take a subtle approach in letting people know who they think has the best franchise mode experience by calling out "other sports games" various times in the article. Even laying out all of the various improvements they have done since jumping to XBOX one and PS4.

http://www.operationsports.com/nba-2...s-screenshots/

Innovation. Authenticity. Engagement.

Quote:
Those are the exact three words I lead off with last year in NBA 2K17’s MyGM/MyLEAGUE blog. We have used those three words to serve the NBA 2K community well for many, many years now. In a space where other developers continually shy away, the team here at Visual Concepts has once again delivered a robust and thoughtful list of franchise features that will keep you coming back for more.
Quote:
I shouldn’t be at this point, but I am continually surprised at how little support other sports games give their franchise modes. I vowed long ago to never let the NBA 2K franchise regress to that mean.

Having had time to reflect back on what Dave, Tim, Barry, Leftos, Yu, and Daniel (take a bow, gentlemen) have accomplished for you all in these modes this year, I feel continually reaffirmed that our direction of Innovation, Authenticity, and Engagement is not only the right path to take, but that it is the ONLY path to take.

Here at Visual Concepts, we believe strongly in the franchise experience. Our management here provides us full support and believes strongly in our ability to provide innovative experiences that, as I said above, are built to delight and entertain. And in turn, you, our fans, have shown TREMENDOUS support of the work we have been able to provide over the last many years.

As I said in this space last year, it’s important to me that you feel we respect your purchase of our product. Your passion and enthusiasm is what drives us. Don’t ever stop giving us ideas, or telling us what you want to see added to the game.

Until next time folks. Enjoy your time with NBA 2K18!

Erick Boenisch

aka SimBaller
Rex Dickson has since responded with the following:

I want to hear the communities thoughts on this like:

What are your thoughts on 2K calling out other sports games? Was it fair?

Could this potential spark a feud between the two, and potentially drive madden to put more into franchise?

How much farther ahead, if at all, do you think 2K is ahead of Madden?

Would the applicable features from 2K be something you would want in Madden?

In a time where we only have ONE football game, can NBA 2k be a competitor to madden?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2017, 06:26 AM   #2
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Re: Shots Fired by 2k at "other sports games"

Yes it was fair.

I wish this was a spark, but EA isn't blind to what 2K does. They willingly, or are told to, ignore it.

2k is light years ahead of EA.

2k could be a competitor to madden if it became more about video games than sports. Meaning football itself would have to become less popular.

There is a fundamental difference in thinking / approach. One is sandbox RPG inspired, the other is linear with a screenplay written by a non-writer.

Best quote from 2k "Draft, trade, and contract decisions are not spoon fed by the writing."

If the writing is great the difference in enjoyment may be negligible, if it is bad....this is going to be a sharknado of a game. Yes we may enjoy it despite the Tara Reid one liners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 07-28-2017, 06:29 AM   #3
Pro

rkocjay's Arena

I take this as a shot at ALL franchise modes in sports gaming but of course mainly at EA. I think every Franchise mode can learn from what 2k has done and even Deuce mock franchise mode

U mad Bro!!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Personally, I don't mind the back and forth between e devs. Didn't Rex challenge 2K a few years ago to come at him or something? He could have just as easily shot back something about servers. It's fun, and cool to see. Rex Just screams Hyped "bro dude" to me And he has done an amazing job with Madden. Gamers win with people like him.

With me, it all comes back to message and what's actually delivered. I'm an offline guy. Hell, I only play the campaign mode in BF and COD. I'm not into online play and buying DLC. I know I'm a dinosaur and probably not the target audience for games anymore. However, I will spend money and support what I like. I will buy any game with college sports anything because I want to do my little part to hopefully see it return. Money talks. I'm the same way with features. I bought 2 copies of 2K as a way of saying thanks for caring about franchise mode. It's my second time doing that. All that to say, there's money here if you listen to us.

I hope the friendly shots, mixed with the unusually loud outcry about franchise spurs Madden. These guys aren't incapable. They invented franchise for goodness sake. But maybe it's enough to make the powers that be let them loose. On the whole think it's a good thing. Head Coach is a gem that still hasn't been matched, IMO. That mixed with Maddens outstanding gameplay would be a great fight for us gamers were it to go that way.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:38 AM   #5
Rookie

ksteward84's Arena

I think this has the potential of doing the opposite - it could cause EA to put less effort into Madden, and focus 95% on NBA Live - a game that actually competes with 2k.
College Football Revamped
Fire Pro Wrestling World
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

What are your thoughts on 2K calling out other sports games? Was it fair?

I think it's good for everybody. They're basically saying you're not doing what we're doing and need to step your game up and offering up an open invitation to do so. They want to be challenged. Of course it's fair and I wish it happened more.

Could this potential spark a feud between the two, and potentially drive madden to put more into franchise?

Only if somebody is insecure and takes it personal. I don't know if I'd say feud but I think it could definitely spark some competition which is great. It's getting a lot harder for them to ignore.

How much farther ahead, if at all, do you think 2K is ahead of Madden?

Absolute miles in franchise from my perspective. I was more impressed reading yesterday's blog than I've been with pretty much every CFM blog since it became a thing. Even though Madden does the online better the mode itself still really stinks so they kind of cancel each other out IMO and as someone who greatly prefers depth and longevity over online functionality, 2K's absolutely blows CFM out of the water.

Would the applicable features from 2K be something you would want in Madden?

Absolutely. All that authentic stuff from the CBA they talked about is the exact type of stuff I want in CFM. I want to feel like I'm in charge of an NFL franchise and having to deal with the same, authentic real-life hurdles is a HUGE part of that and an area Madden sorely lacks. And then you look at what they allow in regards of customization and it completely dwarfs Madden in depth and creativity.

In a time where we only have ONE football game, can NBA 2k be a competitor to madden?

They better be. It shouldn't be just 2K either, they should be competing with FIFA, UFC, The Show, CoD, GTA, everything. They should be looking at what every other game does well and saying how can we do that and do it better. Just because they're the only football game shouldn't stop them from trying having a better franchise than 2K or The Show or have better player movement than FIFA or a better campaign mode than CoD. It shouldn't take being called out for them to realize that.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
Rookie

Competition fuels greatness. Simply put!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
Rookie

Very fair and they are right Rex Dickson

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »