Home

Madden NFL 18 Video - Bills vs. Dolphins (SimFBallCritic)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Video - Bills vs. Dolphins (SimFBallCritic) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Bills vs Dolphins full game | Simfbattcritic

The long 3rd I wonder if it was out of his "running" range, meaning the game knows he won't convert 3rd and 25 on the ground so he stays in the pocket hoping someone gets open. The reality is it should be happy with something over nothing, but I wonder if it is a simple "priority" issue where it wants a 1st down when it should be okay with getting better field position for a punt.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
The long 3rd I wonder if it was out of his "running" range, meaning the game knows he won't convert 3rd and 25 on the ground so he stays in the pocket hoping someone gets open. The reality is it should be happy with something over nothing, but I wonder if it is a simple "priority" issue where it wants a 1st down when it should be okay with getting better field position for a punt.
Yeah, the Tunables are very tricky.

It may be due to a Targeting Threat behind the LOS not being established to trigger AI to scramble with possible targets being engaged in blocking interactions.

The other side that could be disasterous is that all AI QB's start scrambling outside there Player Type. (had this issue in NCAA 14)

Altar the Scrambling Tunable wrong, then possibly monkey up Def LOS attack Logic also.

It can get very tricky and possibly create a catch-22 scenario.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #19
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
People probably thought the 50 yards was an exaggeration...

Well sadly it's really not

I think to me, the bigger problem here isn't the fact that the QB is taking off running, it's that the WR's are 40 yards down field, the D has drifted back with them. To me, that's simply too much time. So, either someone on the D should have gotten pressure, or beaten an OL by then, or the QB should have made a decision. It simply looks like no pressure has gotten there, so with a long 3rd and 25 in the first example it's almost like nothing has triggered the QB to move.

The 3rd and 3 example, that one bothers me. Clearly he's got to take off for that first down there, not throw it away. I wonder if the User's initial failed attempt at the sack messed with something there. The QB reacts by rolling out, which is nice (although it should have ran for the first right there) but then as he rolls out, likely to get the edge and run for the first down the User peels off the DE to try and hit the QB which prompts the throw away, as opposed to tucking and running. It's like it didn't anticipate the pressure since the man was being blocked, but once the user creates the threat there, off went the ball.

I play as a DL most of my time in Madden. Last few years, I've found that's a mistake. I feel like the AI OL, gets a boost when you play along the DL so you can't take advantage of any exploits and always get to the QB. Maybe it just feels that way because I'm... crazy? I don't know, but something seems different about playing D when I'm a DE or DT, as opposed to a LB/DB, it seems to change the blocking of the OL, and effectiveness of the AI QB.

There's always going to be that difficulty too I think, because the system has to try and react to the unknown, which is the control of the User. That, I can understand to a degree.

It's the CPU vs CPU issues that really bother me though. I just wonder how much of it is done to prevent players from getting angry about getting beat by a QB taking off and running. I also wonder how much of it is prompted by User error. I've seen a lot of examples in these videos of User controlled players, not playing their assignments and being out of position which of course also throws off the AI's decision making. User control seems to have that effect on the AI, and sometimes, as I said earlier it seems like the AI gets a boost in some area's to prevent it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we can all look at it as an issue, but I think it's quite a bit more complicated to fix. Sure, we look at it as if it's a real NFL game, and NFL player who should make that decision. Lets not forget though, this is a video game based on code so what's common sense logic to us as humans, is much more difficult to replicate through code in a video game, that also has to account for the actions of the human controlled players.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #20
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel10
Try to guess the result of this play.

It's a sack.

And this one:

Throws away the ball.

This isn't Tom Brady or Peyton Manning too, it's Ryan Tannehill, who is sneakily one of the best running QBs in the NFL (or, was).

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...ll-31-yard-run
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-yard-scramble
Literally a free sack. Almost wondering if nerfing the d line caused this. Same with tyrod tayler. If his first read or second isn't there he takes off. That should translate Into madden. He's not a pocket qb.

Last edited by jbd345; 08-14-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 9

Yeah I understand that it's difficult to get the logic down about when a QB should run or not, but when you're the only game in town, there's an expectation that you're going to be able to deliver on things that you'd definitely see in those situations on Sunday.

Hopefully maybe on All Madden Tannehill scrambles in both circumstances. Or maybe a hgiher rated AWR or a trait he takes off... Though you'd assume if any QB had a scrambling trait it'd be Tannehill, up to his injury he was one of the best running QBs in the NFL. Even though he wouldn't have the first down on that first screenshot, a 15 yard run & slide would give much better punting field position...

Though of course it wouldn't matter, the wind bug caused Miami to boom an 80+ yard punt on 4th down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Literally a free sack. Almost wondering if nerfing the d line caused this. Same with tyrod tayler. If his first read or second isn't there he takes off. That should translate in the NFL. He's not a pocket qb.
In some defense of the AI, the user is playing as Buffalo here, so any passes where Tyrod forces it (the deep TD pass for one) is the user doing that. Same with missing that sack, he runs right by him on the screen haha.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #22
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by peki
In defense of that first screenshot, yes he had all that green to run, but it was 3&25 so even if he took off, there is no way he would've got it.

My problem with this play is more about terrible playcalling by the CPU. It's 3rd and 25 in the first quarter. The game just started. There is no reason to go that aggresive and call four verts. Most teams would've ran the ball or did a simple screen pass. Plus, if you go aggresive and you have your number 1 target 1 on 1 on the left with no safety in sight, that's where you go. No reason to wait for all the WRs to get 50 yards downfield and then air it out. Most of my ints in M17 were on plays like this against the CPU.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
4 verticals is a staple of CPU play calling. They probably call that it every series. Madden CPU QB AI is still in the stone ages.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I was already going to skip buying the game on release, but thought about jumping in eventually this year if there was a sale, but after seeing the QB AI in all of the released videos so far I'll just continue to skip over Madden another year. I want the game to be good, obviously or I wouldn't sit here each year keeping up with it, torturing myself, but I've honestly just about given up on EA at this point. I went from buying NCAA and Madden every single year to buying Madden once in 4 or 5 years because of the progress or lack thereof this game has made. It's just disappointing really.

― Plato
Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 3
Madden NFL 18 Video - Bills vs. Dolphins (SimFBallCritic)

The comments about players complaining if the game is too hard blow me away. It's probably true but if the CPU can beat me on a play I'm usually thrilled. I want the challenge. Go back and play some Madden 94 or Super Play Action Football. You'll be begging for a harder game. I used to cheat just to make games a challenge back then lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jmarcguy; 08-15-2017 at 02:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »