Home

CFM Reminiscent of Downfall of MLB 2K Franchise?

This is a discussion on CFM Reminiscent of Downfall of MLB 2K Franchise? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: CFM Reminiscent of Downfall of MLB 2K Franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
CFM will get it updates after NBA Live gets its franchise mode or it fails.

EA literally took manpower, time, and money away from madden to dedicate to NBA Live

EA had plenty of staff to handle both if the NCAA guys (football and basketball) had been kept around instead of dumped. The NCAA guys could have helped with Madden (CFM) and NBA Live.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Next year will be huge. If the do something with what deuce put out there that would be epic but if it's another year without any massive overhaul of CFM then it will be a sign that this team is all talk and no action when it comes to CFM. FIFA did a really cool job adding stuff from The Journey into their career mode this year as I've seen during my time with the beta so hopefully Madden can do some of the Longshot stuff will be brought over in addition to a bunch of Deuce's stuff.
I think Rex even said he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted for longshot.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
Rookie

DoTheSankeyLeg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Anyone who used to buy MLB2K games knows that the last 3-4 versions of the game were literally a roster update and nothing else. The company didn't even pretend to make back of box features and just released the same game multiple times.

The lack of attention paid to CFM the last few years (especially in comparison to the PS2 days) reminds me of this approach where EA is literally not even touching the mode. The additions this year could have been implemented in 1-2 weeks and the dev team had 52 to work on the game. It's embarrassing how little progression there is in this mode and I wonder if they'll continue this trend of not touching the mode in future games and attributing it to a lack of resources.
I wouldn't say they haven't touched the mode the last few years. Sure Madden 18 took a hit when it comes to CFM features but i'd say the features they've added the last couple years like practice squads, the in game ticker, combine stats and new scouting are definitely improvements over Madden 15 and Madden 25 franchise modes. They are slowly going in the right direction adding some pretty great stuff.
Charlotte Hornets
Syracuse Orange
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #12
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I don't think they're going to be capable of anything close to an overhaul until they get rid of XP or start severely toning back it's relevance. As of right now, it's just a never ending tuning project that absolutely requires attention every year because every year it has huge problems that can't afford to sit for another year. How many years have they had to tune the price of physical attributes only to have to tune them again the next year? All the tuning from the CFM blog looks great as additions to CFM but when you realize it's all because of poor tuning prior and that next year I guarantee you there will be widespread adjustments to account for all the issues that will pop up this year.

They're adding things, they're just adding stuff that doesn't make the mode any deeper or IMO any better. They need to start adding stuff that makes the mode deeper and that doesn't need attention every year moving forward so they can continue to make progress. Stuff like the preseason changes this year. It's not perfect but it's serviceable enough to where it doesn't need to be messed with at all and those kind of features are going to be what helps the mode not only get better, but be able to get better at a quicker pace as well.

I do not care for xp but it's such a labor intensive change I give up on asking for change (I assume it's labor intensive)

One thing you said (adding stuff that doesn't need to be messed with) is an interesting thought. I would be down with scrapping xp for a trait based system that works with static attributes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 08-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #13
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
Yeah, this pretty much sums up my opinion on this.

They're adding things. They're just, apparently not adding all of the things that everyone really wants, and of course, that's upsetting to people. The mode has changed over the past couple of games. It's not like it's sitting stagnant. Sure, it hasn't changed as much as I'd like it to either, but things are happening with it.

I'm a bit surprised at some of the commentary around here on CFM really. I mean, earlier when it was announced that Madden was going to move to Frostbite, everyone really made several assumptions that have basically become common knowledge. Firstly, that moving to Frostbite would likely take away from new additions to the game itself. Secondly, that a story mode would likely be coming as Frostbite gives that ability, and that again, would take time/resources from the rest of the game. Finally, I think we all expected this, many had accepted it as well. I'm not really surprised by any of what we've seen, or lack thereof so far. We all knew it was going to happen.

Sure, that doesn't make it better. I know that. I also know that the fact most of us likely won't play the story mode either. It's like MUT for a lot of people. You know what though, it is what it is. That's the direction they wanted to take it. Everyone loves to say EA lags behind with Madden compared to The Show, or NBA2K etc, etc. Now they spend time and resources "catching up", and everyone is still upset. I get it though, I really do. I'd like to have seen CFM get a full revamp from the ground up to be quite honest. I just don't think we will ever see that. I'd like to see other changes and additions more than I'd like to have seen a story mode, or MUT, etc, etc. It's the direction they went, it is what it is.

I think those additions to CFM should help make it fall more in line to where it should be. Especially the trading and free agency things. Last year we got the practice squads and such. So yeah, it's not sitting stagnant like the last few years of MLB2k did, so it's not a good comparison at all IMO.

But thanks for the painful reminder of how I felt when I bought the last couple editions of the 2K MLB series as my only baseball option being an Xbox gamer... What a letdown that was. I don't see Madden, or CFM itself in that territory yet though. There's good progress being made, and I think the shift to Frostbite as we keep moving forward will benefit the gameplay side even more, and as they appear to be eliminating more and more legacy issues, hopefully they can devote more time to cleaning up, fixing, or completely rebuilding CFM
Frostbite taking away resources would have been acceptable in two situations - first, that the graphics simply blew us away, which so far they haven't. The sidelines are still the same, lined with almost motionless zombies. The intros to the field are bare bones with a small group of players running out. Second, the reason that franchise has had little attention isn't actually frostbite at all - they shifted their franchise resources to NBA Live.

My level of acceptance takes a hit bearing in mind of those two facts I've mentioned.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Nah, NBA Live had nothing do with it listening to John White's podcast.

It was all due to Longshot.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #15
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Which is rediculous for a franchise that's failed twice. You'd think madden would be the guinnie pig. I'd rather have "new/expiramental" features for madden than it going to another series.
Because it failed twice is the reason it is getting the most attention. That and the fact that Madden will sell well regardless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
EA had plenty of staff to handle both if the NCAA guys (football and basketball) had been kept around instead of dumped. The NCAA guys could have helped with Madden (CFM) and NBA Live.
Many of them did stick around or were transferred to different divisions within EA. Don't forget they also had a very large team working on Longshot for this year's game, which received as much attention as a stand a lone game would. So they were essentially developing 3 games at the same time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »