Home

Do you still break out past Madden games?

This is a discussion on Do you still break out past Madden games? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #49
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Do you still break out past Madden games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
2011 was the first time I played a franchise mode on that gen of consoles (Was always head to head with friends before that). I remember getting to my dorm one night after work and was like "Okay, I'm going to start a franchise and play a game or so a night." I started with the Rams, thinking I would slowly turn the franchise around with Bradford. I even decided to play it on All-Madden. First game? I won something like 56-0 lol. It wasn't even remotely difficult.

Now flashback to a few days ago, I fired up Madden 07 on PS2 and played on All-Madden, my goodness it was difficult. I was constantly having to adjust playcalling, make the right reads as mistakes were punished, the gameplay was fast, it was a definite challenge. Some games were easier than others, some were tougher, as it should be. Not every game felt exactly the same as it does now. The CPU playcalling was different too. The Seahawks would constantly give the ball to Shaun Alexander and run it down your throat, Peyton Manning made a million adjustments at the line, the Rams would spread the ball out to several receivers, Vick scrambled often, I will NEVER be able to comprehend how the game regressed in SO many ways. It's embarrassing and disappointing.
I broke out Madden 2005 yesterday and my goodness , I got whipped. The AI was clearly better back then. I was on all pro, was 10-6 eagles against a weak Steelers team. They killed me. Smart AI won the game , not cheating. But it did not feel cheap...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #50
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
I really can't agree they were t hqat flawed. 10 really raised the bar IMO for graphics and gameplay and that that was the last year the original madden developers left EA after they got ###### for not getting what they deserved. (the story I heard). I really enjoyed 10 and 11 a lot. The sam Spence music really made it more enduring to me. What gameplay quirks made you think it was "vile?" I've never heard anyone say Madden 10 and 11 are vile. haha. but you're entitled to your opinion sir.
Ha ha.....should have clarified vile.

Stripped of all the features and franchise mode I remembered on PS2.

At least CFM has added (not everything) back more to the franchise mode experience.

Gameplay on 10 was decent and a real attempt at sim.

12 is overrated IMO.....gameplay was really bad.

It’s all subjective.

But the PS3 generation Maddens were quite sterile and went 10 steps back....IMO they never recovered till the move to PS4.

Now NCAA 14......love that game to death!!!!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 08-19-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:10 AM   #51
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Got a franchise running in 07 (PS2 version), which I'm enjoying quite a bit (I feel like people overlook the value of the player roles that were added when discussing previous Madden franchises). I also still pop in 2005 from time to time. It's fun to see the different paths some careers take, knowing what we know now.

I've also run 2K5 franchises with various updated rosters over the years as well...more fun on the field than in franchise though.

Madden 17 was the first time I put significant hours into the series on the current generation of consoles. It was mostly solid, though the clunky "online league" manner of setting up my 32 team CFM, the painfully slow menus, and a multitude of stat issues made the results not worth the tedium and effort it took to get them (for me, at least).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #52
Rookie

UltraHD's Arena

I'm literally playing 12 as I type this. Just finished the first Season. Playing as the Saints, lost a heartbreaker against GB in the Divisional Round by kissing a last second field goal as time expired in the Snow. Steelers win the Super Bowl against Green Bay with a late TD throw to Antonio Brown. Rodgers has 2 minutes too get into field goal range to win but throws a pick to Ike Taylor. Having a lot of fun.

Need to pick up a PS4 pro though and Madden 18.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #53
Rookie

Phantom Spaceman's Arena

I never really play older Maddens, but if I could I would like to go back and play 2002. 2002 wasn't really anything special on the field, in fact if I remember correctly counter runs were WAY overpowered back then. However, it was the first year the Texans were in the game (sort of, their uniforms weren't finished yet so they had these terrible generic placeholder uniforms). Anyway you could start your franchise with them (or with a created team to replace them because of the unis) and do an expansion draft.

As someone who likes to take bad teams and rebuild them there has been nothing in Madden quite like that since. Forget the Browns or Jets (no disrespect Browns and Jets fans), the team you got from that expansion draft was an absolute dumpster fire. I suppose you could do a fantasy draft now and purposefully take the worst players available but its just not the same.
Anyway that is why 02 has always been one I've remembered.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #54
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
Never. I'll probably uninstall Madden 17 today and never look back.
+1. Once I play the new one once that's it. The old one never sees action again.

Be Good Or Be Gone
Sent from Galaxy S8+
GT roll2tide
Let's play Madden or Fifa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 08-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 5

Madden 13 for me was the one I played the most. I think it was the last Madden that let you add your face in the game? I stand corrected if I am wrong but I seem to remember putting my face in as a coach or player. It didn't work to well but it was fun just to see!....I wish they had brought back that feature for current gen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 1

Just in general, there was a time that I could pull out old sports video games, but they just feel so dated now.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »