Home

Franchise Commentary - Rookie Names List

This is a discussion on Franchise Commentary - Rookie Names List within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Franchise Commentary - Rookie Names List

About half the rookies will have their name said according to the blog. I've heard one, a TE drafted in round 2, Cameron Gordon. I only heard them say Gordon so far and not his first name. Gordon was in the news feed during the draft.
I edited a rookie's last name to Knight, I forgot what it was before but the commentators call him Ed "Too Tall" Jones in game, so I think I'm going to edit him to Eddie Jones.

I'm wondering if his name was supposed to be said in game and I should not have edited it.
Also, I don't know yet if all rookies named Gordon will have their name said or if it's only specific players in each draft, like the ones with storylines.

We can use this thread as a list and maybe to figure out how it all works. Because I love that we will finally have rookies names called in the game as it really helps with the immersion factor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Football Fanatic

Yukon46's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Franchise Commentary - Rookie Names List

I have not played many full games, but have only heard 2 names...
Both were QB's
Fox
Casey

Have never heard any Full first and last names said , and the announcers do not say the names on every play.

Many times they said "He" a lot, and then you hear the last name every once in awhile.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler97
the commentators call him Ed "Too Tall" Jones in game, so I think I'm going to edit him to Eddie Jones.
I'm glad to hear about the names finally being announced, but this glitch still being in the game after a year is really disappointing. Hopefully the Day Zero patch (or a future patch) takes care of it.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
MVP

I finally got some game time in today and found out a couple of things about the names.
First, I have to say I love this addition. It seemed so much more authentic to hear the guys say "Cobb" back to pass, caught by Steele. That's so-so much better than the QB throws to the WR. It's going to make going deep into a Franchise so much more enjoyable.

Below are my observations/opinions, I have not doubled checked or played enough to call it fact:

*The names called are simply a list and has no relevance to storyline or draft position. I had an undrafted rookie, Harrell I think, named called.

*It's just last name, I have not heard the first name yet.

*You can't edit the last name into the name pool. Example, you rename your QB to Gordon but they won't say even though it's in.

*Even if you just edit the first name you lost him. Ex. Stuart Cooper, I heard Cooper all day long so then I tested and changed his name to Jake and didn't go to the last name section. After that, he was just "QB"

*You can edit appearance, skin color, face, size attributes and be fine. I wonder if it's the first page that can't be touched. So like position, school, handiness ect.?

Names I heard:
Cooper, Cobb, Harrell, Stewart, Gordon, Pierce, there's a few more but I'm blanking.

Any thoughts or things to add or change?
Old 08-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
About half the rookies will have their name said according to the blog. I've heard one, a TE drafted in round 2, Cameron Gordon. I only heard them say Gordon so far and not his first name. Gordon was in the news feed during the draft.
I edited a rookie's last name to Knight, I forgot what it was before but the commentators call him Ed "Too Tall" Jones in game, so I think I'm going to edit him to Eddie Jones.

I'm wondering if his name was supposed to be said in game and I should not have edited it.
Also, I don't know yet if all rookies named Gordon will have their name said or if it's only specific players in each draft, like the ones with storylines.

We can use this thread as a list and maybe to figure out how it all works. Because I love that we will finally have rookies names called in the game as it really helps with the immersion factor.
So generated rookies will have their last names read if they are on the list of new names. If you edit them they will still be called their original name. The editing of the name is the front end, but apparently there is a back end identifier that triggers the audio that is not edited by simply changing the name we read.

Hope that helps.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
So generated rookies will have their last names read if they are on the list of new names. If you edit them they will still be called their original name. The editing of the name is the front end, but apparently, there is a back end identifier that triggers the audio that is not edited by simply changing the name we read.

Hope that helps.
No, if you edit the name it will be messed up. I edited a guys name before knowing how that worked and the announcer called him Ed "Too Tall" Jones. My guess is his last name was going to get called.
Or, in my Stuart Cooper example, the first game they said Cooper all game long but then I changed his first name to Jake and didn't touch the last name. The next game he was just called "QB"
So, I've learned to not edit names if I want a chance they'll be called in-game.
But, if we know who will get called I can draft and edit based on that. Because simply having the name called for generated rookies adds a ton to the in-game Franchise Realism.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #7
Banned

In Australia we can get the game until 25th, can one of you guys please confirm if there is first and/or last name commentary on ANY created players. I'd if I make a player with the name Tom Smith will
His last name be mentioned frequently by commentators. This is a huge deal for me deciding to get this game... I can deal with rookies not looking close to real life, but if I make Josh Allan the QB (pretty common last name..) and they never say his name I can't stick with a long franchise mode... after 4-5 years your commentary will be silent because you have a team full of rookies all because EA is too lazy to implement something essential for franchise longevity..
Old 08-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
No, if you edit the name it will be messed up. I edited a guys name before knowing how that worked and the announcer called him Ed "Too Tall" Jones. My guess is his last name was going to get called.
Or, in my Stuart Cooper example, the first game they said Cooper all game long but then I changed his first name to Jake and didn't touch the last name. The next game he was just called "QB"
So, I've learned to not edit names if I want a chance they'll be called in-game.
But, if we know who will get called I can draft and edit based on that. Because simply having the name called for generated rookies adds a ton to the in-game Franchise Realism.
Interesting that wasn't how I understood it from John, but it almost seems like a glitch of a glitch. Either way, editing rookie names isn't going to achieve what people are looking for so best to avoid it when possible. Tech not there this year, but doesn't mean it won't be in the future.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »