Home

Everybody talks offense schemes. Lets talks defense schemes

This is a discussion on Everybody talks offense schemes. Lets talks defense schemes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
Banned

jt2000's Arena

OVR: 0
Arrow Everybody talks offense schemes. Lets talks defense schemes

I have always notice that nobody talk about the defense side of the ball when it comes to planning a scheme. Its always offense as in 3 running plays and one passing plays. On defense when I set my up. I run a 3-4, mixed in with 46, nickle, dime, and 4-3. Its like having a "global playbook" of old. I usually pick a blitz, zone blitz, cover 6 or 9, and a hard flat cover 2 and then mix then in with other plays. How do you all set yours up?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Everybody talks offense schemes. Lets talks defense schemes

I try to make playbook that plays to strength of my defense. I usually run a 4-3 because I find I get more preassure. The major problem with madden though is you can't play strong side weak side with the players you want. I cant have a pass rushing olb and a coverage outside linebacker and put them where I want them. Auto flip does not flip the players so you can't make it work. Same with safeties and defensive linemen. That really kills defensive scheming for me.

So what I do is turn off auto flip and make a playbook out of a bunch of different formations where players play mostly to their strength.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

My core defense is under cover 3, and nearly everything I run is a variation of that.

I prefer to remain in base when possible. 4-3 Under, Cover 3 Match Press is my vastly most common call. I generally don't use nickle unless I'm facing 4 or more receivers or I've utterly buried their run game.

It's totally about personnel fit and as long as you have the right people, they don't have to all be probowlers. You want a FS with SPD and ZCV, a SS with PRC and ZCV, CBs with PRS and ZCV, a SAM with STR and BKB, MATT and WILL with PRC and TAK, a LE and NT with STR and BKB, a UT and RE with either pass rush.

I'll move to an over front in running situations, but otherwise I'm very under focused.

Nice thing is, the 49ers are actually running this defense now so I wont have to change playbooks.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Pro

patsfan1993's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
My core defense is under cover 3, and nearly everything I run is a variation of that.

I prefer to remain in base when possible. 4-3 Under, Cover 3 Match Press is my vastly most common call. I generally don't use nickle unless I'm facing 4 or more receivers or I've utterly buried their run game.

It's totally about personnel fit and as long as you have the right people, they don't have to all be probowlers. You want a FS with SPD and ZCV, a SS with PRC and ZCV, CBs with PRS and ZCV, a SAM with STR and BKB, MATT and WILL with PRC and TAK, a LE and NT with STR and BKB, a UT and RE with either pass rush.

I'll move to an over front in running situations, but otherwise I'm very under focused.

Nice thing is, the 49ers are actually running this defense now so I wont have to change playbooks.
What advantages do you see for running an under defense?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13

3-4 and Nickel 2-4-5.

The variations and adjustments I make are numerous. I'll share one setup that I have a lot of red zone success with.

3-4 solid, cover 2 zone. Freeze the defenders. Set the FS/SS on the wide side to a purple buzz zone. Set the blitzing OLB to a spy. Set the other S to a yellow hook zone. User the MLB on the same side as the hook zone S and cover the middle along the back of the end zone.

Result:

* 3 DL rushing/run defense
*1 MLB/1 OLB in hook zones close to LOS
*1 OLB spying in immediate pursuit of a RB, moving to middle under the hook zones as a spy, and playing the QB run.
*1 S coming towards the LOS in a hook zone
*1 S running to the corner with depth
*2 CB playing the flats
* 1 usered MLB playing middle with depth

The one opening is the short side corner but it's tough to find in time and make an accurate throw. This has given me great red zone defense for the last 2 years if the LOS is at the 7-8 yard line or in.

Be Good Or Be Gone
Sent from Galaxy S8+
GT roll2tide
Let's play Madden or Fifa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

OVR: 8

It really depends on what I'm looking to achieve. If I'm focusing on pass defense I'm a 3-4 guy, if I'm focusing on run defense I go 4-3.

I like to go 3-4 because my ideal strategy for building a defense is from the linebackers out and with that being the case I like going with a linebacking corps that can both rush and drop into coverage and with that being the case I have essentially 4 guys who I can disguise that keeps the guessing game going. I prefer zone blitzes where I'm pulling one of my middle linebackers through the middle on the blitz and pulling one of my outside linebackers into coverage, it can cause some decent confusion long enough to get a sack or an incompletion. I also find that cover 1 is really effective against the pass if you can send one of your zone guys on a fake blitz it can sometimes result in either a quick dump off or if you are lucky a pick over the middle. Cover 2 Man is also nice if you have guys that can get consistant pressure but if not base cover 2 zone along with zone blitzes is a nice way to clog up passing windows to try to force coverage sacks. The personnel I usually look for here is two outside linebackers who are preferably good at rushing and decent at coverage, one middle linebacker who is proficiant at rushing and the other who is proficiant at coverage, two corners who a good at man coverage and my nickle who is good at zone, both safeties good at zone with my strong safety preferably being decent at run support and my free safety having serviceable man coverage, and two big body defensive ends with good block shed that can clog holes and eat up running lanes.

As for 4-3 it is a bit harder to build from the linebacking corps out as there is usually only 1 or 2 on the field unless you are always running base 4-3. So I build from the line out instead. In a 4-3 blitzing is less impactful so I find myself running more coverage packages with 4 rushers. A lot of cover 2 zone, cover 3, cover 6, and occasional cover 2 man if I feel my corners can handle the press. What I look for in personnel is generally a middle linebacker that can do a little of everything, one outside linebacker that can cover and one that can rush, one big body defensive tackle who has high block shed and a smaller one that is good at rushing, two defensive ends that are quick and have good rushing preferably one having high block shed, two corners who can cover in zone and has high press, and 2 faster safeties that can cover.

Out of the two my preference is 3-4 but I usually give up a lot of yardage on the ground which I don't mind if I can force them to nickle and dime which increases the chance for mistakes. It really depends on my personnel though and what I havr to work with and I try to build a strategy to work to my teams strengths.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
Banned

I'ma Tampa 2 guy at heart so that's what I'm going after. I like to see if I can stop the run and pass rush with just 4. I'm not a heavy blitz guy. They occasional DB blitz... But that's it. Im very committed to the T2.

Sent from my 5049W using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan1993
What advantages do you see for running an under defense?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Well defined personnel roles. Every position's job is clear and fairly one dimensional, so you can get away with lesser athletes so long as they fit their role.

Also, it creates a pass rush advantage to the underside with a 9-3 tech combo. It effectively gives you two REs because they're both rushing from hard to double team spots. This was the brilliance of the Tampa 2 and it's carried over to the modern Seahawk 3.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »