Home

The EA Overall Rating

This is a discussion on The EA Overall Rating within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
The EA Overall Rating

I know this is a slider thread but, for me the ratings and slider making go hand and hand. So I think this is important to sliders.

I don't know why but, I really started trying to figure out how Madden comes up with overall ratings. I wondered what ratings they use for each player and how much each rating mattered. I am far from cracking the code but, I thought with a little help I might be able to.

I wanted to know why, just to see what ratings they use and this could lead to finding out what ratings matter the most for each position. So far I am looking at the OL.

I was very surprised how few of the ratings actually affected the overall.

This is what I did to test the importance that EA places on each rating. I created on OL player and just raised and lowered each rating to see if the overall was raised or lowered.

The only ratings that had any impact on the overall for the test player was Strength, Agility, Speed, Acceleration, Awareness, Pass Block, Run Block, and Impact Block.

I then needed to find out how many clicks it took to raise or lower the over all by one point. Here are the findings.

Strength took 5 clicks
Agility 22 clicks
Speed 22 clicks
Acceleration 22 clicks
Awareness 4 clicks
Pass Block 2 clicks
Run Block 3 clicks
Impact Block 12 clicks

You can go and test these yourself.

As you can see EA counts certain ratings as much more important to an OL players.

The next thing I did was find the percent of those ratings out of 99.

Strength 19.8%
Agility 4.5%
Speed 4.5%
Acceleration 4.5%
Awareness 24.75%
Pass Block 49.5%
Run Block 33%
Impact Block 8.25%

This gives you the percent number as far as the importance it has on overall rating for OL.

I still don't know how to use all this and get the overall but, I got pretty close.

I took Donald Penn 87 overall. I took all those ratings that apply and multiplied them by the percent.

For example: 95 strength multiplied by .198 equals 18.81. Then I added all the numbers up and got 129.70. This is not 87 of coarse. I decided then to round the numbers down or up and came up with 130. I took that number and subtracted 87 (his overall) and got 43. I did this for another player that had and overall of 65. His total was 108. I subtracted 43 and got 65. I tried it again but, I was off by two.

I don't know how they come up with the overall but, I think I am on to something. If this helps anyone then great. If you can help me figure it out then great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The EA Overall Rating

Great stuff Charter! You have any insight on the OVR ratings change from the menu roster to in game for CCM?

Knowing which ratings effect the OVR most can really help you find sleepers.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
This man here is a statistics guru. He will have the whole story available for you

http://maddenmanniac.blogspot.ca/201...t-ovr.html?m=1

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

I looked through some of that info. Good stuff. A couple of things though. 1. He used Madden 12. Madden 13 works different. Pass block strength or footwork do not have any affect on overall in 13. 2. He seemed to make finding out which ratings affected overall more difficult and time consuming than it has to be.

The info was helpful though.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
Great stuff Charter! You have any insight on the OVR ratings change from the menu roster to in game for CCM?

Knowing which ratings effect the OVR most can really help you find sleepers.
The CCM guide covers some of that. I just want to start with every position first.
One thing I messed up on was dividing by 99. I should have used 87 because the overall only goes down to 12.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

Well I ran into a problem. I can still find how important each rating is to overall but, the numbers are not consistent enough to be able to figure out the overall unless I took tons of time. I still don't know if I could.

The overall will go up every 1 click sometimes then every 2. I still got got a pretty good average though. Also some rating being higher or lower have an impact on other ratings in relation to the overall. I still want to keep working on it because I enjoy doing this stuff.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

I'm almost 100% sure that awareness does nothing in game. CPU controlled Romo, Murray, and a created RT played great with 0 awareness. Romo was 6-6 with a TD before his first int. Murray ran great. I can't figure out what that rating is even for.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

If anyone is interested in this stuff ill be posting all info on my Madden 13 slider thread from now on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »