Home

My Madden keeps getting the "Disk Unreadable" message?

This is a discussion on My Madden keeps getting the "Disk Unreadable" message? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #25
Pro

utorde's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: My Madden keeps getting the "Disk Unreadable" message?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagster559
Well I actually opened up my xbox, only because I have no warranty anyway, and I cleaned the laser with alcohol twice. I don't know if a cleaning disc will do me any good.

As far as replacing the drive I do understand it involves flashing it which is no problem to do. My concern is spending the time and money on that project and doesn't resolve the error. If it is indeed a disc issue, how is it that other xbox 360's aren't having the issue while others are.

Nah, if you've already cleaned the laser lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol I doubt the laser cleaning disc will help you. It fixed my disc read errors on Forza 2 though, and that was the only game out of the 12 I own that was giving me read errors. Once, before the cleaning, inserted all 11 other games and they loaded fine. Then put Forza 2 in and got the error. Randomly picked a few of the other games again with no problem. Came back to Forza 2 and got the error again. After I cleaned with the disc I never got another error. That's been like 7 months or more i guess, and I played Forza 2 a bunch, so I know it did the job for me.

To add to the subject of switching out the dvd drive. Not only do you have to flash the new one with the correct firmware, which you already said you knew, you may also have to see which drives can be used. All may not be compatible. I know I was researching about adding your own hdd in the place of the standard 20GB hdd, and what I found out about that is that there is only one certain brand/type of hdd that can be used. That along with all that was involved to make the new hdd compatible with the 360 made me decide it was a lot less trouble to just go ahead and spend the money on the official 120GB hdd.

Good luck and I hope you all get your troubles figured out and solved. Heck, you may want to go ahead and give the laser cleaning disc a try since they're fairly cheap. Like I said, I gave around $11 or so for mine at Walmart. They had 3 different ones ranging from $8 to $20 something, I got the middle-priced one which is Philips brand for around $11. Worked fine on mine and fixed the problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 12

I AM TYPING IN CAPS SO THAT EVERYBODY READS THIS!
!! CLEAR YOUR CACHE !!
I RETURNED MY NHL 09 THREE TIMES AND NONE OF THEM WORKED SO I CALLED EA AND MICROSOFT AND TWO HOURS LATER THIS WAS WHAT THEY TOLD ME ... IT WORKS !!
GO TO THE LAST PANE IN THE XBOX MENU THEN GO TO MEMORY, PRESS Y FOR DEVICE OPTIONS, THEN PRESS X,X,LB,RB,X,X AND CLEAR YOUR CACHE !!

This is a problem in nhl09 also but clearing your xbox 360's cache has worked so far and everyone that had dirty disk has conformed that this works. hope it works for madden also give it a try and let me know. best of luck to you.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i c u cant stop me
I AM TYPING IN CAPS SO THAT EVERYBODY READS THIS!
!! CLEAR YOUR CACHE !!
I RETURNED MY NHL 09 THREE TIMES AND NONE OF THEM WORKED SO I CALLED EA AND MICROSOFT AND TWO HOURS LATER THIS WAS WHAT THEY TOLD ME ... IT WORKS !!
GO TO THE LAST PANE IN THE XBOX MENU THEN GO TO MEMORY, PRESS Y FOR DEVICE OPTIONS, THEN PRESS X,X,LB,RB,X,X AND CLEAR YOUR CACHE !!

This is a problem in nhl09 also but clearing your xbox 360's cache has worked so far and everyone that had dirty disk has conformed that this works. hope it works for madden also give it a try and let me know. best of luck to you.
It doesn't work for me. I did get me further into the game but once I kicked off, error again. I've tried that as that is what microsoft told me to do also. TOTALLY FRUSTRATED!!!!!

Even though I'm not experiencing this error on any other games do you think if I replaced my dvd drive it'll fix this error? My dvd drive in my 360 has a date of 4/06.

Last edited by Jagster559; 09-11-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #28
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Yeah, I've had this happen to me several times. I'll try clearing the cache and see what happens. Very annoying as none of my other games have this issue.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 09-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #29
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

I don't know what to think. For the last couple years every EA game I've played in my 360 spins out of control at times and occassionally I hear it grinding against something internally. The game hiccups when this happens but keeps chugging along. Well, I was playing last night and it did it some more. All of a sudden a "disc read error' pops up and I'm booted from the game. After several failed attempts to reboot, I pull out my disc and check for dirt, scratches, etc. What do I find? A tiny hairline crack extending from the inner portion of the disc. It apparently was spinning so fast that when it ground against something it actually broke my disc. It still plays, but I checked my disc today (after another disc read error) and now the crack is expanding.

Here's my question: Is it my 360 or Madden? I know that in part it has to be my 360, since it isn't only Madden that spins like nuts. It does seem to be all EA games though, which makes me wonder. I don't want to replace my copy of Madden and put it back in this 360 to have it happen again (I'm also having to put Head coach on the shelf to be safe...another spinner). I also, however, don't want to replace my 360 with an elite, only to find out Madden is slowly destroying my system.

So, I guess I'm also asking a couple of other things. Has this EA spinning thing been a regular occurance for 360 owners (and if so, do the newer elites have the same issue...Mine is an original and has never acted up)? Also, does anyone know if these types of "overspinning" issues occur on the PS3? I may just get the elite and then replace Madden with a PS3 copy (if I can get EA to cooperate...I'm certainly not paying for this again). I'm wondering if I should just keep EA the heck away from my 360...lol

EDIT: MY 360 is generally vertical, though I've tested it horizontally and still get the same issue with EA discs...just to clear that up for any potential troubleshooters out there

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 09-25-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:22 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 14

I have an original 360 as well. NEver had a problem. Recently been having lots. NBA Live 09 i get unreadable disc all the time and it's annoying. I dont know if my 360 is suddenly getting old and having issues or if games released recently are messing with older consoles. It seems like ea games in particular are a bitch. That's why i dont think it's my 360 because some games are better than others.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 14

I wish every CD had that message - GO NFL 2K!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #32
Pro

droopizzle34's Arena

OVR: 18

i returned my Madden partly because of this. The bad thing is that this can mess up your lens,and if that happens you are done for. I don't think their is a reliable solution,because if you mess with the lens or buy one of those disc cleaners,it will not read anything. I wish one of the EA guys could help,but I think its a microsoft thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »