Home

Thoughts from a PS2 Madden gamer..

This is a discussion on Thoughts from a PS2 Madden gamer.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16
Thoughts from a PS2 Madden gamer..

I think Madden 09 on PS2 is probably the best pure football game/sim I've played. With the right sliders, this game is absolutely outstanding...coming into the Madden 09 season I bought the game for PS3, but after just 3-4 games I noticed some severe freezing problems, a very lackluster running game, and just wasn't happy with the overall responsiveness of the game. Particularly on defense. It felt like their QB could do no wrong out there, and there was nothing I could do about it slider related really. Then I traded the game in for the PS2 version, the first thing I noticed about 09 that I liked were the sideline catches. On all-madden passing can be very tough, but giving wide outs more inteligence on the sideline routes is big imo. Just one of those little things that I like. Also, I play Madden with a friend and we are on the same team, I'm the QB and he's the RB. The running game is just terrific on PS2, because I can be the FB with the lead blocking system, it's just fun. On PS3 this is absent, why I don't know...but this has always been my favorite experience with Madden the ability to play with a friend on the same team. It's just not fun on PS3, this isn't a game breaker obviously...but if there is no obvious advantage for the PS3 version it's clear which direction I'm going in. I'll take gameplay over graphics any day, especially considering my PS3 version froze all the time. I know alot of peope share my opinion that the PS2 version is superior, and this is simply unacceptable at this stage. It's been 4 years on the nex gen for EA. For them not be able to produce at least a fun game is worrysome, but I am hopeful after seeing some producer feedback on here. That's why I'm writing this post actually. Franchise mode is dull and just not well done on PS3 either, I don't care to run the 40 yard dash or do bench press reps to get guys ready for the game during the week, if you're going to give small boosts for practice just have it be like it is on PS2, running plays. Oh, and one thing PS2 does have that needs to be fixed is special teams. Special teams are a chore EA, particularly punts. I am not sure how this has gone unnoticed but it would be nice to see better play on Special teams, it is a big part of the game. I'm sure I'll be excited again for nex gen football come May and June, hopefully this year it will not be false hope.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Thoughts from a PS2 Madden gamer..

Can you divulge your sliders? Because I've tried the ones here, and I'm still giving up over 200 yds passing and about 30 or more points per game. It's becoming more arcadish than realistic.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

Oh and one more thing EA needs to do to make the game better.....

O-LINE play!!

Every play a lineman should not pancake a d-linemen. It happens WAY too often, why can't linemen just drive guys back or steer them out of the way to clear holes like in real life? This doesn't happen at all in Madden, and it needs to change. If linemen are great "technique" blockers they should be able to get great position and move guys around, and the counter to this would be guys that can penetrate and disrupt with strength, push, etc. The PS2 version still struggles with this, but it's not as noticeable as it is on the PS3.

As for my sliders, I play with human awareness up two ticks, knockdowns up 2 ticks, interceptions down to 3, break block up 2 ticks, tackle up 3 ticks. I also turn CPU RB ability up a little because they struggle to run, and turn down the CPU pass block 2 ticks. Should help you out.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 12

IMO, Madden on PS2 and XBOX is a joke. I haven't played 09 on them yet but I just played 07 the other day on XBOX, and this kid I was playing did the same play over and over again, and he caught the ball over and over again. He was even double covered. Anyway the score ended up being 42-42 in the 1st quarter. The 1st quarter consisted of about 4 different plays. I ended up blitzing him with the same play over and over again, and sacked him about 12 times in the 1st quarter. Lame. The gameplay is crap. I can't believe people think this is the best football game out. They don't know what they are missing out on.

Hopefully EA shapes up with Madden 2010. It seems like a few animations are getting better, but hopefully the core gameplay and A.I will be better.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32

I loved every Madden on the PS2 franchise-wise. Last year I took the step up and got 08 for the 360, but had to take it back and exchange it for the PS2 version. Yeah it looked awesome on my HDTV, but the franchise issues were a gamekiller. PS2 looks worse on the HDTV than on my old tube one so this year I stuck with the next gen version. I'm not having as much fun in franchise but I am dealing with it.

Bottom line PS2 is the way to go if you can give up the graphics.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »