Home

Ratings in APF2K8 and Madden.

This is a discussion on Ratings in APF2K8 and Madden. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #33
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Ratings in APF2K8 and Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
Not bashing either game, franchise, or company.

Just going to express something that's been on my mind.

Alright, first off, every game of Madden feels the exact same. It doesn't matter who the CPU QB is. Whether it's Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler, Dree Brees, or Jarmacus Russell. All of them play the exact same.

Now, let's look at APF2K8. A gold QB can and will light the hell out of you unless you make adjustments, where as a bronze or non-tiered QB will dink and dunk and have a hard time burning you.

The same goes with defense. This is my huge beef with Madden. In APF2K8, I dare you to throw in the vicinity of Charles Woodson or a gold corner. They can totally take your receiver out of the game. That is, you can't sneak any money plays on them. Slant? Nope, they'll jump it and pick it. Over the top? They'll stay step for step with your WR and bat it down. Screen? You'll get rocked.

In Madden, I can spam the same play, game in and game in, pre-patch or post patch, year in and year out, and go 16-0. I can't do that in APF2K8. Why? Their AI is marginally better. Madden needs a system like APF2k8, it's as simple as that. If EA stays on the same track, it just goes to show you how arrogant they are.

Sorry, I disagree. On the right difficulty and with the sliders (both are different for everyone) I found there to be BIG differences in QB's and gameplay.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 55

Madden made me very happy this year with their features and direction of the game. If they can create an ability system and get rid of 0-100 numerical ratings along with incorporating an RPG style ability system through franchise... my life may be ruined because I'll never go to class/work

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 09-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
The sad part about QB difference in Madden is its not the ratings that seem to matter. They got some gimmick in the game that makes QB's randomly throw bad passes. Its stupid. Random bad passes is not what makes a QB bad. You are what you are. You are either a good QB or a bad QB or somewhere in between.

Madden is terrible at portraying this. The main thing that stands out about the difference in players in madden is SPEED.

In AP2k8, You truely had to consider what QB you had with the type of offense you wished to run. If I wanted to run West Coast and had a generic QB or a tiered QB that did not have good accuracy or could not zip that ball into areas quickly, You were in for some long hard games. Was not because the QB threw random bad passes or the lead pass was made to be off target. It was because your QB really had no arm strength or little accuracy or was not good in the pocket or bad at throwing on the run. There were even QBs in Ap2k8 that threw bad passes when pressure was in their face, it plum rattled them. If you had a "tough as nails" QB he could throw nice passes even if the whole Dline was inches away from sacking him. (JOHNNY UNITAS WAS MY MAN !!!)

I can go a whole game and not have to throw to my "star" WR in Madden and have a GREAT game. My other WR's(3rd and 4th stringers) can have 10+ catches a game. So whats the point of having a Stud WR when the scrubs play just as good ?

In Ap2K8 a generic WR was NOT your go to guy. Some where good in certain situations. Some where good at catching deep balls, but if they were in traffic and had anyone near them they would drop the ball, or could not run short routes well, they would take a long time to come out of their cut making you have to wait that second longer(that may get you sacked) to pass to them.

I could go on and on in other areas of the games but the point is Madden has failed in making players play like their real life counterparts. Yeah you see some difference in players but nothing like you saw in AP2K8.
Excellent example on the Tough as Nails ability that distinguished QB's. In Madden 2010 all QB's are Tough as Nails because they are all accurate even though the defender is in their face and they are spinning while throwing the football off of their back foot. I have seen this way too much in online games it sucks. I have literally replayed countless number of times the highlights where I have a defender in the QB's face and rather than running through the QB an animation check occurs and the defender slides to the side to tackle the QB, but by doing that the QB is able to get off that spin off the back foot throw for an accurate pass.

The animation is not the problem, the RESULT IS. Secondly, this game could use a mega does of procedural awareness for WR's. You should be able to throw the ball any time during a WR's route, but he should not be aware of the throw at all times during the route. Now should user control be able to save someone here? That's the question.

Also, if they are not going to program better DB behavior and ball skills for man coverage, why not just remove 2 Man Under from the game? Nobody uses it. Everyone will use 2 Man Press. We use man press to cover up the lack of DB Ball skills and the lack of options of telling our DB's how to play. What they need to do is do it on a scale. CB's with 90 + man coverage have a set of animations and behaviors to play the WR and the ball that corners 80 - 89 man coverage do not. But corners 80-89 have a set of animations that 70-79 man coverage do not ect., Then go back and do the same thing for zone. There is just too much generalizing in the game to where guys up and down the board do too much of the same thing. They need to tighten the ratings.

When I get home I will post some examples of how I see this working out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Excellent example on the Tough as Nails ability that distinguished QB's. In Madden 2010 all QB's are Tough as Nails because they are all accurate even though the defender is in their face and they are spinning while throwing the football off of their back foot. I have seen this way too much in online games it sucks. I have literally replayed countless number of times the highlights where I have a defender in the QB's face and rather than running through the QB an animation check occurs and the defender slides to the side to tackle the QB, but by doing that the QB is able to get off that spin off the back foot throw for an accurate pass.

The animation is not the problem, the RESULT IS. Secondly, this game could use a mega does of procedural awareness for WR's. You should be able to throw the ball any time during a WR's route, but he should not be aware of the throw at all times during the route. Now should user control be able to save someone here? That's the question.

Also, if they are not going to program better DB behavior and ball skills for man coverage, why not just remove 2 Man Under from the game? Nobody uses it. Everyone will use 2 Man Press. We use man press to cover up the lack of DB Ball skills and the lack of options of telling our DB's how to play. What they need to do is do it on a scale. CB's with 90 + man coverage have a set of animations and behaviors to play the WR and the ball that corners 80 - 89 man coverage do not. But corners 80-89 have a set of animations that 70-79 man coverage do not ect., Then go back and do the same thing for zone. There is just too much generalizing in the game to where guys up and down the board do too much of the same thing. They need to tighten the ratings.

When I get home I will post some examples of how I see this working out.
I'm really feeling that part about a certain set of animations for specific ratings. That would work great as a subsitute for the lack of physics/momentum in the game.

Good idea man, I must say so meself, lol. So if a corner was rated 90 to 99 he would have a jump route animation specific to that # category correct? Thats slick, hope the dev team observes that post.

By the way, aren't you one of the cats that went to the testing phase? You should suggest that to em next time you link up with Ian.

Last edited by TheCreep; 09-28-2009 at 07:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »