Home

Tips for Defense!!

This is a discussion on Tips for Defense!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Tips for Defense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacnud
What do you find is the best defense for a play where the tightend goes into one of those routes that is in between a post and a crossing right. He goes across and gets deeper and deeper downfield and most zones lose him, man to man its hard to cover to, im usually coverin it man, but you know any other method that works good?
Try Cover 3's Buzz Duo, Buzz Weak or Cover 3/Cover 3 where the CB drops back and covers where you SS was and the SS Covers where your CB was, I get alot of picks with that play as it confuses the QB, i.e I picked Brady twice with that same play.

You can also highlight him!!!

I hope this helps!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Nice post. My style is like yours, good defense and good running game (which is why I am frustrated by the "run blocking" in this game).

Zone coverage is good, though you have to get pressure. Also, the AI will abuse the flats at will so be careful about zones that don't have a light blue area (flats zone).

I like to involve my LBs in zone coverage. I'm a fan of the 3-4 and when I play the Ravens, I have the 4-6 as well and both of those are LB reliant. So I like to have fast LBs that can get to their assigned areas well as well as come on the blitz quickly and track down RB/FB in the flat.

I'm a blitzer, though I try to blitz out of several of my formations and bring no more than 2 or 3 defenders from different angles. I'm partial to overload blitzes (since that's what the Ravens try to do in real life) and even suction blocking can't account for more rushers than there are blockers.

As far as coverage behind the blitz, often zone, but sometimes man. I don't know if it can confuse the AI's reads, but sometimes it seems like it. The QB will make a quick throw, thinking it's man and the LB picks it off. Likewise with varying who comes on the blitz. Say 3 plays in a row I come with middle pressure, then on the 4th blitz I come with outside weakside pressure.

What formations do you like to blitz from the most? I like the dollar (lots of speed on the field) the 3-3-5 Nickle (easy to change the angle of the LBs when bringing all 3 on the blitz and it has a nice zone overload blitz) and of course the 3-4 almost requires blitzing except to change it up once in a while.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #19
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Nice post. My style is like yours, good defense and good running game (which is why I am frustrated by the "run blocking" in this game).

Zone coverage is good, though you have to get pressure. Also, the AI will abuse the flats at will so be careful about zones that don't have a light blue area (flats zone).

I like to involve my LBs in zone coverage. I'm a fan of the 3-4 and when I play the Ravens, I have the 4-6 as well and both of those are LB reliant. So I like to have fast LBs that can get to their assigned areas well as well as come on the blitz quickly and track down RB/FB in the flat.

I'm a blitzer, though I try to blitz out of several of my formations and bring no more than 2 or 3 defenders from different angles. I'm partial to overload blitzes (since that's what the Ravens try to do in real life) and even suction blocking can't account for more rushers than there are blockers.

As far as coverage behind the blitz, often zone, but sometimes man. I don't know if it can confuse the AI's reads, but sometimes it seems like it. The QB will make a quick throw, thinking it's man and the LB picks it off. Likewise with varying who comes on the blitz. Say 3 plays in a row I come with middle pressure, then on the 4th blitz I come with outside weakside pressure.

What formations do you like to blitz from the most? I like the dollar (lots of speed on the field) the 3-3-5 Nickle (easy to change the angle of the LBs when bringing all 3 on the blitz and it has a nice zone overload blitz) and of course the 3-4 almost requires blitzing except to change it up once in a while.
Nickle 3-3-5 is very good along with Nickle strong, Dollar normal, 4-3 over, 4-3 under You can get all those in the Buccs 4-3 D book.

3-4 D books, i like are Steelers Nickle 2-4-5 and 3-4 stack, Ravens Nickle odd split, 3-3-5, 3-4 predator and 3-4 stack again.

those are a few off the top of my head!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by z ROCKnROLLA z
Nickle 3-3-5 is very good along with Nickle strong, Dollar normal, 4-3 over, 4-3 under You can get all those in the Buccs 4-3 D book.

3-4 D books, i like are Steelers Nickle 2-4-5 and 3-4 stack, Ravens Nickle odd split, 3-3-5, 3-4 predator and 3-4 stack again.

those are a few off the top of my head!!!
D'oh, how could I forget about Nickle Odd Split! Even more shameful as I play the Ravens and it's in their own playbook *sigh*

I haven't used 3-4 stack much. I'll have to experiment with that formation. Predator is awesome. I think I run that formation the most out of the 3-4.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #21
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
D'oh, how could I forget about Nickle Odd Split! Even more shameful as I play the Ravens and it's in their own playbook *sigh*

I haven't used 3-4 stack much. I'll have to experiment with that formation. Predator is awesome. I think I run that formation the most out of the 3-4.

lol... ok well I'll let u know the Stack plays

3-4 Stack, you have the Hog buck 3, Thunder smoke, Strong snake 3, SS Strong snake 3 stay, OLB Fire man, CB Dogs man and the classic Engage 8.

Predator, Weak blitz 3 is nice, MLB Cross Fire and MLB Cross Fire 3 is crazy, I think thats what they're called.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z ROCKnROLLA z
Thats what straff is for, it will be your best friend and is great for lining up a big hit, Use it when there is a lot of space behind you and you are the last man!!!
If you have men behind you just run upto the guy and slow down just before you get to him and then make the tackle!!
I've started to use Strafe much more especially as last man and im actually timing tackles rather than panicking and quickly pressing square and missing the receiver! it also helps lots when going for a pick. thanks for this!

Quote:
If you think its gonna be a run then line up as a DE, you can break off the block and attempt a tackle, or you can switch from DE to LB or to CB in mid play if the RB has beaten the D line!!
I generally like being the ROLB at all times but if he is assigned man to man on the RB i may have to bite my tongue and either swap to another linebacker or as you say a DE even if i dislike using them! Not soo keen on changing player midplay i always give up HUGE plays when i try to be the CB or SS as the balls in the air or the rusher rushes NOT on my side i get this urge to swap play to make the play and almost always mess it up!

Quote:
I only re-align my D line by shifting, I never change where they are gonna press, i.e I never spread, pinch or ask them to press left or right, as you can blow the play, and lose a serious amount of yards if you get the play wrong!!

I will most of the time shift to the TE weak side as that can slow him down and I can create pressure form that side, if it is 3rd and long I will blitz LE and my LOLB, sometimes the CPU will adjust and send someone in motion to help out that side. I will choose to be the LOLB in that situation and run around the blocker!!
Thanks for this, I find i almost automatically on 3-Long Spread the line as all my LB are in Zone that the D-line can get around the blocking and get to the QB. I'll try shifting the line TE side a bit more, i noticed Cooley of the Skins earlier tonight burnt me alive with 4 catches hopefully small things like slowing the TE down can get me more edge on my D.

Quote:
On 1st and 10 i will shift my D to align with the blockers and spread my LB's. If the CPU has more men lined up on one side I will shift my LB's to where they have more men.
Seems soo simple, but i rarely do this. 1-10 to start the game and i'll pick a base 3-4 maybe a Cover 1 and just see what happens almost. Maybe a big flaw is awareness of the Offence, see if there's a mismatch to my D and if so adjust it.

Do you Manually MOVE the LB accross or can you do a quick audible to spread them or move them to say the Strong side of the offence.

Is it (ps3 here) R1 then Up (left stick)to Spread them all

R1 then (right/left) on left stick to move them to 1 side. Will this mean ALL the linebackers move to this side if you choose this audible?

Quote:
I use 4-3 D as nano blitzes seem to work better if you pick 4-3 C2 and C3, for me if your nano blitzing with 3-4 C2 your sacrificing to many men, and the CPU will alway throw in the that hole and burn you for big yards.
Im a pure 3-4 man and im SLOWLY learning the playbook so i wanna stick to it for now but DONT i know it about sending too many men, the CPU gets me in flats all the time its infuriating if i've sent say 2 LB down the middle.

Quote:
You really don't need to nano blitz with 3-4, with 3-4 D I would press with my D line and blitz my OLB's, you can either blitz left or right side or both at the same time, I never Blitz the middle as my D line will be doing that, I will then cover the middle with my 2 MLB's, doing this creates a big push from my D line and OLB's and gives me good coverage behind, you will see that the CPU O line will need to spread there blockers and go 1 on 1, which also free's up your 1 DT, instead of him being blocked by 2 to 3 line men he will be blocked by 1 or 2 line men.
ah maybe this is where im going wrong i generally blitz the MLB's, i blitz two DT in front, manually blitz the MLB's and place them on the hips of the DT, hoping that 4 men down the middle wont get picked up but its a waste of time as even if someone gets through more often than not the easy flat pass or slant pass kills me every time.

The outside blitz more than the outside one can be a reall good shout, although if i DONT bring heat down the middle does this mean my decent-ish Rush defence may suffer as there's less men covering the gaps upfront?

Quote:
To be honest with the accelerated clock its hard to ask this, I recommend 7-8 min no accel clock once you get the selection for nano's down you can go back to accelerated clock, or what ever time you choose.
THink this is sensible, i often find i call a play, next thing i know before ive (attempted to) read the offence the balls snapped and its a bit of a panic or even worse then the balls snapped MID hot routing/audibling to bring a nano blitz.

Quote:
I hold down turbo prior to the snap, if there's a blocker the block will engage, if your lucky the CPU will miss the block, if not you can try and run around him or swim, spin move past him, you wont beat the line men with power, unless your LB has good power and strength, so check out the players ratings and check his strengths and weaknesses, this is what I mean by making or creating mismatches!!
If you press the right stick to early you will go into a stumbling motion falling flat on your face and out of the play!!!
*so that's why i always fall flat on my face*

I generally just use right stick left/right with my ROLB although i initially found going OUTSIDE used to work more in terms of getting past the Tackle but now that's ended with me flat on my face. I think i need to flick the right stick Just before we engage and perhaps if i TURBO from the snap i may beat the Tackle anyway with my ROLB's speed.

Quote:
Well I hope I have answered your questions and that you understand what I'm talking about, If not just let me know!!

Good Luck dude!!
Thanks pal! as you can see i have a few more queries but its been a fantastic read up till now,keep this gold dust coming
Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycast27
Seems soo simple, but i rarely do this. 1-10 to start the game and i'll pick a base 3-4 maybe a Cover 1 and just see what happens almost. Maybe a big flaw is awareness of the Offence, see if there's a mismatch to my D and if so adjust it.

Do you Manually MOVE the LB accross or can you do a quick audible to spread them or move them to say the Strong side of the offence.

Is it (ps3 here) R1 then Up (left stick)to Spread them all

R1 then (right/left) on left stick to move them to 1 side. Will this mean ALL the linebackers move to this side if you choose this audible?
I'm on 360, I'll press RB to shift and left, right, up, down. I'll press LB left or right for my D line to shift, I press Y, triangle for you, Down for press coverage, up to loosen/back off coverage, I never ask to align as that gives away your man to man coverage.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #24
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycast27
Hi mate

hope your well?

just a quick one which ive been thinking about for a few days but not really sure if i should post in your D-Thread or to you personally.

So i went for the safer option

BASICALLY i think we're very similar here regarding D-Plays.

What i mean is upon viewing your thread i saw that you like me are a fan of Cover 2 and Cover 3.

My problem is that almost on every down i play 3-4 cover 2 or cover 3 with no blitzers.

if its say 1-10, il come out maybe in a 3-4 Cover 1 and often "show blitz" what this does is the CPU doesn't have many targets to pass to but if it's rushing as my LBs and Safties are up i often kill the run.

On 2nd down or 3rd down, i almost always sit on a cover 2 and cover 3 simply because i CANT get to the QB with my OLB's when i blitz them or if i do this on say 1st down or 2nd down the QB quickly gets his pass away in the flat or a slant and im giving up at least a 1st down.

Its a little frustrating because, i LIKE to play "bltiz happy" D with lots of LB pressure on the QB however in my games i dnt ever get to him in time or if i do the CPU gets rid of the ball soo quickly at best its a 2-10 rather than the 2-15 that im after.

By using cover 2-3 on almost most plays as the ROLB i cover the as you see it on your tv left ZONE and im gtting really good at this with Clay Matthews i sometimes dont get infront of the WR and he makes the catch but often im able to make the play.

By using SHOW BLITZ it also helps against the run as my team reacts to the run and as my OLB are in wide zones they can often get the ball carrier pretty quick.

You say so what's the problem?

well...i'm doing quite well to win games at the moment and when the CPU goes into "comeback- 4th qtr when they are losing etc" mode they gain about 10 yards a time and slowly get up the pitch for some kind of score. This i can handle but i'm almost a little "bored" of D.

I get a hell of a lot of INTs because i have zones every where but im a "sack & fumble" man, i can get the odd fumble via strip or BIG hit on a RB or a WR just after the catch but all sacks are by my front 3 of course thats going to happen because they are the only ones rushing the QB but when i send LB's or i send CBs and have LB drop back the CPU reads it and bang pass is made and i give up yards.

I know not SENDING people il contain the cpu LONG ENough to win most games but i want to see my OLBs getting sacks, ive got 94 odd KAMPMAN on my left and i control matthews on the right.

Do you know of any 3-4 plays where im likely to get many sacks on the QB OR should i re-phrase get heat and get heat QUICKLY.

It just feels that by dropping in ZONE all the time takes away some of the fun because if you blitz blitz blitz you're going to get killed but it would be nice to blitz on 1st or 2nd down with only say 5-10 yards till the 1st down and get a sack rather than blitz and the CPU makes the completion.

I hope i haven't waffled on too much mate and that its easy to read!

thanks!!
3-4 plays!!! if you choose to play cover 2 or 3 with no one blitzing you can make the player you select blitz by pressing A, {X for PS} and then tell him to blitz!!

ok the reason i dont blitz or use 3-4 d is coz of the inconsistency with the rush/blitz, I was a 3-4 d player before m10, but switched to 4-3 because of the lack of pressure you get form LB's, I get more pressure with 4-3 and with my DE's.

ok a few plays for you!!

Renegade - 3 DB's back in zone coverage and an 8 man rush, spreed the LB's!!! recommend 1st D

Crash Blitz - 3 deep DB's LOLB,ROLB, LE and DT drop back in zone coverage, RCB, and both MLB's blitz!!
Recommend for 2rd,3rd and long

MLB storm blitz - FS in zone coverage, SS, CB's, LOLB, ROLB all man coverage, highlight main threat, both MLB's Blitz with D line creating a 5 man rush!! recommend for 3rd down

Storm Brave - FS in zone coverage SS, CB's, ROLB all man coverage, LOLB, RMLB both blitz with DT's, 5 man rush. recommend for 3rd down!!

LB Storm 3 - LCB, SS, FS, drop back deep for zone coverage, LOLB, RCB zone coverage covering right and left, ROLB, both MLB's blitz creating a 6 man rush!! be aware you will be open in the middle!!recommend for 1st down or 3rd and long!!!

CB Dogs Blitz - CB's blitz with D line creating 5 man blitz, everyone else drops back in coverage, you can use this anytime, known to create good pressure, QB needs to react quickly, normally throws center or the flats!!!

I'm not home at my business, so i don't have my playbook with me, but those are some plays i off the top of my head!!!

I will give you some more when I get home which will be later today...

3-4 books to look at, Jets, Steelers, Ravens, multi D, 3-4 D

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »