Home

A Possibility for Rules in Online Franchise and Online Community's

This is a discussion on A Possibility for Rules in Online Franchise and Online Community's within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would a video accompaniment for league rules help with rule understanding/enforcement
Yes 20 86.96%
No 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 25
A Possibility for Rules in Online Franchise and Online Community's

A major complaint with online leagues whether it be Online Franchise or Online Communities is how players understand (or fail to understand) the rules set forth by the commissioner. Now if that is by ignorance of the rules, or lack of caring about the rules, I don't know, but I have an idea to alleviate one of this reasons.

Most leagues have a rule book, but that is contingent on people being able to understand what is written and applying it in game. I feel that a visual aid to accompany the rule book is much more fool-proof. I am toying with the idea of making a video accompaniment to supplement rule book for leagues. The general idea is to have the written rule book with a link or multiple links to examples of acceptable or unacceptable play and tactics for your individual league.

How many of you would think this would be a useful tool to help combat unacceptable play for your league? Depending on the response, I may do a small beta test on the videos for a few leagues to see how well it is received and how time consuming this would be for me to do in addition to my job and work with leagueManager. I know I will be doing this for our Communities and our private leagues.

Last edited by CRMosier_LM; 07-28-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Rookie

falconfansince81's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: A Possibility for Rules in Online Franchise and Online Community's

awhile back i made videos for our leagues regarding specific rules that always seemed to get misunderstood.

particularly the inside out kick return rule...

but apart from franchise specific rules, how do you plan on making universal rules for each league? are there plans for a universal fair-play type system of governed rules?

reason i ask is because i think it would be hard to make a general rule vid for each community/OF so if there was a general set of ground rules for sim leagues a video will certainly help clear up gray areas such as insta-sprinting out of the pocket, excessive drop backs and across the body spin throws etc...
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I did this for a league I used to run last year and it worked phenomenally well. I just set up a capture device and created a series of YouTube videos that were focused on our top 7 issues or so.

BTW, the plural of "community" is "communities," not "community's." I keep seeing the latter and it hurts my eyes.

But again, this is a great idea. El Gato makes a nice device called EyeTV that you can use if you have a Mac.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I did this for a league I used to run last year and it worked phenomenally well. I just set up a capture device and created a series of YouTube videos that were focused on our top 7 issues or so.

BTW, the plural of "community" is "communities," not "community's." I keep seeing the latter and it hurts my eyes.

But again, this is a great idea. El Gato makes a nice device called EyeTV that you can use if you have a Mac.
Yeah I know, auto predict text on my phone isn't the greatest.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconfansince81
awhile back i made videos for our leagues regarding specific rules that always seemed to get misunderstood.

particularly the inside out kick return rule...

but apart from franchise specific rules, how do you plan on making universal rules for each league? are there plans for a universal fair-play type system of governed rules?

reason i ask is because i think it would be hard to make a general rule vid for each community/OF so if there was a general set of ground rules for sim leagues a video will certainly help clear up gray areas such as insta-sprinting out of the pocket, excessive drop backs and across the body spin throws etc...
Actually I was talkin about specific videos for each individual league to match what that specific league feels is important.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Rookie

falconfansince81's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Actually I was talkin about specific videos for each individual league to match what that specific league feels is important.
oh ok so you would make em per request? guess thats what i was wondering. yes i think thats a great idea that will benefit MANY leagues and clear some things up but you may need to hire a staff lol.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Yeah that's tight.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 28

Agree with Trojan Man. I have used videos in our rule book as well. That way there is no confusion. If the rules aren't followed, there is disciplinary action. If they don't like that, they don't play anymore

What would be better, is if the game had settings that you could set MOST rules with. Now THAT would be killer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »