Home

Five Things EA Sports must do for Success in Madden NFL 13

This is a discussion on Five Things EA Sports must do for Success in Madden NFL 13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Five Things EA Sports must do for Success in Madden NFL 13

Here are my responses to a couple of the issues listed:
  1. Pass Trajectory - This is a must fix, but ONLY if it is done right. I kind of fear that if they do add trajectory to the passes - specifically passes that cover more ground, or lob passes - it's gonna take passing in Madden to an extreme, where we're either throwing Favre-like bullets or Chad Pennington-like floaters. What needs to be implemented is a base trajectory scale, where throwing power determines how fast/sharp the ball is getting to the intended target (Basically, affecting the spiral - this would make guys like Tebow feel/look authentic), and where the throwing accuracy rating(s) determine how closely the ball follows that base trajectory arc; Guys like Tom Brady are gonna be money from short-range, while guys like Aaron Rodgers (RAHJAS!) are gonna be really accurate on deep throws. I think this idea is a start, but is kind of complex as to how to implement it in a game that is marketed to both the casual audience and the sim audience. Maybe they can implement a turn on/off feature like a "Sim Passing" or a "Real-life accuracy" type thing.

2. Also, just to touch on the animations issue - it's kind of sad and embarrassing when Madden 12 and EA's NFL Blitz have the same EXACT animations. Heck, I even think their arcade title and possibly the last NFL Street to come out had some Madden animations. To me, if you can't differentiate sim, realistic animations versus over the top, "video-game" animations, there's a serious problem, where either disconnect or complacency has set in within the company.

So, to me, along with the above I mentioned, presentation also needs to be revamped and done right, and honestly, the player models need work too. The players kind of look like clay models, there's no real skin tone or texture, or texture on anything player-model related.

Last edited by JaySmooov; 01-25-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

1. Special teams over haul. I want to see blocked punts, blocked FGs, bad snaps on punts and FGs, CPU returning punts and kick offs for TDs.

2. Pass interference. It need to be called.

3. Tackle animation. I'm tired of that 2 handed push BS animation that they have in Madden 12.

4. Real Assignment AI and locomotion over haul. They still don't block correctly on some plays and players can still turn on a dime. Weight doesn't matter.

5. WR/DB & OL/DL interaction over haul. Stop the patty cake animation and stop the player mirroring each other step for step.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Aren't there too many INT's because of the ball trajectory and LB warping. It's not the fact that defenders catch too many, it's that they get their hands on more balls than they should.
Right. I don't think there should be less interceptions, but really the individual player positions/playing styles need hardcoded AI.

A ballhawk like Ed Reed should be hardcoded to go for that game-changing interception, the INT's that only he would go for (or other aggressive ballhawks, in this case). He should make more risky plays than any other type of player.

A Hard-hitting DB/safety, like say Roman Harper or Brian Dawkins, should really be looking to clear that reciever coming over the middle first, then swat the ball second if it's in his vicinity, and 3rd look to make the INT if he has a legit play on the ball.

A balanced DB/safety, like say Troy Polamalu, should look to make plays appropriate to the situation, or at least be considered an all-around player/playmaker. They aren't as aggressive as ballhawks, but they still make or attempt aggressive plays, but they'll also go and make the tough tackle or big hit.

There also needs to be a run-oriented safety, a guy who's gonna stop the run, come in the box, and not be a factor in defending the pass.

For the record, we also need to be able to create true player packages. How realistic would the game become if your were in the franchise and you saw the Giants bring out the "NASCAR" package on 3rd down? And even better, it they lost all the players the next year, and didn't use it again until they had the appropriate players for it?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_81
Also to add to post #13.
A more advanced physics engine would be welcomed. No more WWE type hits.
If EA or 2k got in with, say, Natural Motion for the latest Euphoria physics engine. This again falls under the tools and time category.
I would love it too, but Madden said last year, down the road, not right now.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #21
All Star

OVR: 21
I wouldn't say a realtime physics engine is needed at this time either. But a significant overhaul with the other four things on the list are a necessity. I'd replace RTP with a much needed improvement to Presentation. The animation system imo is probably the most pressing; looking at the pictures included in the article show that the players articulate very little like real life players. If they can implement a proper animation system that'd help to alleviate some of the player interaction and player physics issues imo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #22
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Finally, an editorial wishlist that focuses on the gameplay. I think most of us can agree that Madden does a fair job with presentation, online play, graphics, and other features, but it's the on-field gameplay that so many of us have become frustrated with. I doubt this does any good, but thank you for giving us a wishlist with some substance.

Just a small side note, but I would have added DB/WR interactions in there as well.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23
I cannot wait for the exclusive license to run out, but with that being said, what other company is gonna step up and make a football game? I don't think 2k, they seem to heading in the wrong direction as a company. So who else is there?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13

These 5 ideas are awesome, but it's the stuff we've been asking for the last 5 years now isn't it. This isn't going to change until they start working on a new console, which is probably why they "doubled" the size of the team.

Yes we'll see some minor improvements, but the real time physics certainly isn't on the 360 or ps3 and the A.I routines won't change this console generation as well. They put over 7 years into this engine and gameplay, 1 year isn't enough time to rework this engine of theirs.

The only thing we can do is hope that some of the minor stuff like route recognition and added penalties can make it in this version.

The good thing is that if this new team is sincere, we've told them about the problems with this current engine and everything we want it to be able to accomplish. If they've truly listened, the next generation Madden will truly be a God send

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »