Home

Are Rookies Overrated in Madden NFL 13?

This is a discussion on Are Rookies Overrated in Madden NFL 13? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Are Rookies Overrated in Madden NFL 13?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I don't think it is the OVR so much that is broken. The OVR is the simple SUM of all the PARTS.
I agree with what you said overall (no pun intended), but OVR's problem is that what it sums up is broken...at least in terms of weight.

For example AWR still has extreme weight, though the value of AWR depends on execution skills, which, depending on position, are relatively undervalued.

Let alone the on-the-field play.

OVR's existence is part of the problem, because of what it (tries to) represents. So it became such a driving factor as a ranking system as much as it represents player skill set - which leads to manipulations to make sure some players play worse, even if it no longer represents the player's actual skill set - or his OVR might be "too high" or "too low".

If it was gone, then players would be ranked solely on skills - which then would create a more solid base for evaluating players with nothing else on the side like some say OVRs are "adjusted" so people will pick the teams in multiplayer or so that it can be "more fair", etc.

It causes more trouble than it's worth, imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #82
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
For example AWR still has extreme weight, though the value of AWR depends on execution skills, which, depending on position, are relatively undervalued.

Let alone the on-the-field play.
The problem with AWR is something that we have with a lot of skills, but I think it's most obvious there: We have no idea how the skills actually work like.

I used to believe that AWR only mattered for sim games, but I'm not so sure anymore. There have been videos clearly showing that QBs with higher AWR throw more precisely and I get the feeling they are less prone to throw "autopicks", that means throws that are obviously targeted directly at a defensive player.

At the same time, whenever I see a player simply run past the ball or ignoring a player he should be tackling, more often than not it seems to be a player with low AWR, so I get the feeling that Awareness might do exactly what it says on the tin, make a player "aware" of where the ball is and where the other players are, but of course that's all based on my personal experience, unless someone from EA who actually knows the code tells us how the game works, we can't be sure.

At the same time, I feel that AWR is absolutely, completely worthless for RBs, because obviously, whenever those guys get involved, you are controlling them so it doesn't matter how aware they are, you do that job for them. I've had huge success with Noel Devine as a rookie who starts out with an absolutely abysmal AWR rating which is the reason why he's only 65 OVR, but it doesn't make him play any worse than RBs ranked 15 or 20 points higher than him.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #83
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
The problem with AWR is something that we have with a lot of skills, but I think it's most obvious there: We have no idea how the skills actually work like.

I used to believe that AWR only mattered for sim games, but I'm not so sure anymore. There have been videos clearly showing that QBs with higher AWR throw more precisely and I get the feeling they are less prone to throw "autopicks", that means throws that are obviously targeted directly at a defensive player.

At the same time, whenever I see a player simply run past the ball or ignoring a player he should be tackling, more often than not it seems to be a player with low AWR, so I get the feeling that Awareness might do exactly what it says on the tin, make a player "aware" of where the ball is and where the other players are, but of course that's all based on my personal experience, unless someone from EA who actually knows the code tells us how the game works, we can't be sure.

At the same time, I feel that AWR is absolutely, completely worthless for RBs, because obviously, whenever those guys get involved, you are controlling them so it doesn't matter how aware they are, you do that job for them. I've had huge success with Noel Devine as a rookie who starts out with an absolutely abysmal AWR rating which is the reason why he's only 65 OVR, but it doesn't make him play any worse than RBs ranked 15 or 20 points higher than him.

Probably why it's usually the "scapegoat" rating for QBs and HBs - they are the most user controlled since one or the other is touching the football every play (or a lot of the time for HBs).
Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #84
Pro

OVR: 10

I dont understand how frank gore is the same speed as lamichael . Shouldnt James we alot faster? 91 how is rg3 faster than James? I dont understand I guess.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #85
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart2180
I dont understand how frank gore is the same speed as lamichael . Shouldnt James we alot faster? 91 how is rg3 faster than James? I dont understand I guess.
RG3 is a top notch sprinter, James is not.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #86
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart2180
Well I guess if James officially posted a best time of 4.35 and Griffin a 4.33 at the combine, that would mean that Griffin is faster.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »