Home

What do you guys think about this sort of "lead passing" feature for Madden?

This is a discussion on What do you guys think about this sort of "lead passing" feature for Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 22
What do you guys think about this sort of "lead passing" feature for Madden?

Ok i am going to try and explain this as best as i can. I am really looking forward to M13's better lead passing technology but one thing that struck me fairly instantly when i first heard of what they were doing to allow us to toss a ball out further so the WR can run to the ball or lead the WR a bit better with leading our passes to our WR's.

Well i was thinking what if they actually implemented a cross-hair of sorts? What i mean is this.. Say you got 3 WR's out there..each WR representing a button on your controller like how it is now..but when you press the corresponding WR button..the camera zooms in a tiny bit more, locks on to that WR but ALSO a on-screen cross-hair suddenly appears allowing us control the cross-hair ahead, left, right or underneath the WR which gives us a much better perspective on exactly where we are leading the ball to the WR and actually giving us better feel of leading a pass. Maybe it would be good as an option or toggle off/on feature..hmmm

Here is an example of what i mean with a different game..below is the latest Ace Combat game..in dogfight mode..the camera angle zooms up a bit more when you go into dogfight mode but more importantly...the camera locks on to the enemy aircraft which gives you total control to the small circle to lead your fire ..in other words..in the pic below...you see the red box which is representing the camera locked onto the enemy fighter...next you see a small circle a tad above the enemy craft (at 1 o'clock) which this small circle represents your fire trajectory...so you can over aim, under aim or aim out to the right or left of the enemy craft so that your basically leading your fire because you know the enemy craft will run into it..which basically is leading your fire just like what im am getting at for Madden with leading your passes.

So i am just wondering what you guys thought about this..having a visible "X" or "Target Icon" visible so that we have a clearer sense of where we are leading the pass to our WR's.... any thoughts? Right now we see nothing ..so maybe adding this tiny bit of feature would greatly give off a better sense of location and momentum? I dont know..just figured i would shoot this across to you guys. Im not saying it needs to work exactly as i explained but something similar in nature that would work to give us a better feel for placing the ball in leading a pass... Peace

Last edited by Moegames; 05-02-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: What do you guys think about this sort of "lead passing" feature for Madden?

I think it would be a great option. Maybe better use for it would be in practice mode?

I don't know if what you're saying is this, but if I wanted any visual this is what it would be: there would be no need for a zoomed in view. Just as I press the receivers icon, and give him a direction or a lead... a little crosshair or target would pop up letting me know where exactly I aimed it. Its after the fact I guess, so there is no controlling the cross hair.

I guess that wont work lol. So maybe instead of a cross hair, there is a zone and the QB's accuracy would dictate the size of the zone. Where a more accurate QB would have a smaller more precise zone. I don't know.

It would be neat, but I could definitely live without it. I am all for options though
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: What do you guys think about this sort of "lead passing" feature for Madden?

I would love to see something along the lines of throwing to a spot instead of a reciever button, but thats probably not going to happen. From what I have read, I simply picture a system to match 2K's "Maximum Passing." Basically more control in leading the reciever, and throwing him out of his original route.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

No thanks, and my reasoning is that I want to avoid as many UI helpers as possible. What's next, showing the trajectory of our pass with a line? There is something to be said about learning the touch of the game. We already have a marker on the ground where the ball is going to go once you throw. Outside of that, practice makes perfect.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

NFL Fevers Read and Lead system had this option. They also had the full mode of throwing to anywhere on the field.

For me I won't be satisfied until we get a full on "Throw anywhere" system instead of hitting X for X.
Fevers was very fun and challenging and just needed some fine tuning IMO.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
No thanks, and my reasoning is that I want to avoid as many UI helpers as possible. What's next, showing the trajectory of our pass with a line? There is something to be said about learning the touch of the game. We already have a marker on the ground where the ball is going to go once you throw. Outside of that, practice makes perfect.

I agree with you, I think it would be too cartoony.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I do't want to play Ace Combat, I want to play football.

Madden 13s lead passing sounds just like 2ks maximum passing, which is a good thing.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I would love to have a more field level game play view, that allows the User to actual look at anywhere on the field using the left stick, focus closer on a smaller area using the left trigger and throw there using various buttons for different types of passes. No arcade icons or visual markers, just throwing to the spot on the screen the QB/User is literally looking at.

The passing game should be far more challenging than what is has been, to promote far more running the ball and add a true risk/reward to playing with pass oriented teams and their playbooks llke the Pats and Green Bay, that currently doesn't exist. I shouldn't be pick up play easy to utilize this risky offenses because if what these teams do in real life was easy, every team would be doing it. However, most teams opt to throw the ball as little as possible because the best way to avoid turnovers, keep your defense off the field and keep the game close is on the ground along with playing solid defense/special teams. A fundamentally foreign concept to most Madden gamers because it's not better represented in the challenge of the passing game.

Also, while I am on my soapbox, the run game needs to be far more progressive than it is now. Meaning it should be rare to see runners going for 8-9 yards consistently early in the game, particularly if defenses are stacking the box. The run game should have a progressive element for wearing the defenders down more as the game continues and drawing LBs and safeties further in to setup PA passes.

Anyway, whatever, it is what is. lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »