Home

Should Madden adopt the NHL Rating System?

This is a discussion on Should Madden adopt the NHL Rating System? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Should Madden adopt the NHL Rating System?

Was reading about NHL 13 and their ratings, after reading this I wonder why Madden can't do something like this.

Quote:
How are the NHL 13 player ratings different from NHL 12?

EA: Last year, overall ratings reflected a player's effectiveness based on their player type (ex. Sniper, Enforcer, Grinder, etc.). NHL 13 Overall ratings are based on a player's overall skill based on their position.

Why the change?

EA: It was a fan-requested change that ensured that overall ratings were more representative of a players skill level in real life. A players who is 90+ will feel drastically different than one who is rated 65.

Examples: NHL 12 Parros was an 81 as his rating was based on his player type — enforcer, meaning that he was an above average enforcer. In NHL 13 Parros is an 69 overall based on his skill level as a forward. Chris Neil was an 82 (Grinder) last year, this year he's a 78. With this new overall ratings system, his rating didn't drop as significantly as Parros because he's still a skilled player who can check and score effectively.
It seems like a better way of rating players. Thoughts?

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Should Madden adopt the NHL Rating System?

I feel like Madden has a variation of this, such as how they mentioned a 4-3 DE will be less effective if you move to 3-4. Not quite sure how it'll work out yet, but this appears to be a universal transition, to me at least. As for the NHL 13 ratings, they seem to be more appropriate.

However, I also believe the NHL has more definitive roles than the NFL. For example, Parros is a gritty, nasty, enforcer type of player. Scoring doesn't matter to him and he's successful in that way. That is his role and he's very good at it. On the other end, a guy like Eli Manning is known to be clutch in the 4th quarter. It's not necessarily a role, but more of a persona or reputation. I'm interested to see what type of adjustable ratings CC will have.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
They aren't entirely different than that already. Not sure why NHL tried to change it but certainly makes sense changing it back.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'd be a fan of any new ratings system for Madden. I don't see the need in having what seems every quarterback on the game rated 80+.

None of this will matter however, until EA figures out how to make the ratings meaningful outside of speed and break tackle.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

im confused,, isn't that how they already do it in madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Yeah, I don't get what you mean. Madden is doing what NHL 13 is doing: basing overall on straight up skills at your position rather than how you perform for your "role." The only difference is that NHL 13 has "forwards" "defensemen" and "goalies." Madden has QBs, WRs, TEs, RBs, etc.

Last year, NHL 12 rated players based on their role within their position. To equate, Tim Tebow would've been rated in the high 80s or so because he would've been a decent "scrambler." It's really difficult to compare the two, because in hockey you have all these varying roles within one general position. That's not really the case with playing quarterback.

In NHL 13, so many more ratings matter to a player. In Madden, a player has a few select ratings specific to their position. In Madden, you don't care if your running back can cover zones or shed blocks. In NHL 13, you do care if your forwards can stick-check, their poise, deking, body checking, shot blocking, acceleration, etc. All of those add up in NHL 13. Not so much the case in Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »