Home

Connected Careers Player Progression is broken

This is a discussion on Connected Careers Player Progression is broken within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #49
Pro

NYwRiter94's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Connected Careers Player Progression is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by howemj192
It seems to me that the problem isn't necessarily that progression is broken, but instead the sim engine is slightly dysfunctional and the goals for backups are too high in some cases.

In my first season with the Jets, both Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight (running backs) have 100-200-400-600 rushing yards as their goals and I believe 1000-2500-5000-25000 as their XP. The CPU engine won't give either of them carries unless Shonn Greene gets hurt, so they will never gain XP. In reality, McKnight will get carries/catches as the 3rd down back, and Powell will spell Greene for carries, and both should have a legitimate shot at least to get 200 yards rushing this year, meaning they would get AT LEAST 2500 XP on top of any weekly goals that they get (which also seem slightly high for backups) and Milestones.

The same goes for backups at other positions. Madden's sim engine doesn't utilize timeshares in the backfield, hybrid defenses, multi-TE offenses, etc. The problem isn't the progression system, its the sim engine.

Note: I have no idea how to progress backup QBs that don't play. There is legitimately 0 percent chance of getting a Tom Brady, Tony Romo, or even mildly successful journeymen like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Moore.
While I agree with your complaints about the sim engine, the note at the end is not necessarily true. I haven't done testing to actually see if it works out, but backup players DO get points from practice (possibly games too, but I know everyone on my team has at least about 3k right now and I think it's week 5). Sure, it might not necessarily be enough to make them a superstar before starting, but an Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady hybrid situation could emerge (The player is a steal in, say, the 7th round, but is stuck behind a superstar QB and no one knows how good he is until he gets his chance).
Old 09-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #50
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYwRiter94
While I agree with your complaints about the sim engine, the note at the end is not necessarily true. I haven't done testing to actually see if it works out, but backup players DO get points from practice (possibly games too, but I know everyone on my team has at least about 3k right now and I think it's week 5). Sure, it might not necessarily be enough to make them a superstar before starting, but an Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady hybrid situation could emerge (The player is a steal in, say, the 7th round, but is stuck behind a superstar QB and no one knows how good he is until he gets his chance).
Except that doesn't happen, but it was a nice thought...
Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #51
Banned

OVR: 0

It can and does happen if you know how to play the game. A couple people have said it a couple times already. You have to save up to get the package that makes things cost less(its comparable to ambition in head coach 09). Also, when you picked your coach style, what kind of coach did you pick?

All 3 coach types (motivator, strategist, team builder) have DIFFERENT skills that make them easier or harder depending on what you're trying to do with what team(a team with no talent NEEDS a team builder for instance).

Motivators makes it so players want to play for you more. Free agents will pick your team over others for similar money. Player also play harder in clutch situations for a motivator coach(you're never out of a game with john madden or Vince lombardi coaching on the side line in other words)...

Strategist makes it so xp packages for players and the coach COST LESS.
THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT TO PICK IF YOU WANT TO PROGRESS YOUR TEAM FASTER. They also happen to be some of the best play callers so gameflow works better under them.

Team Builder makes it easier to scout and something else... cant remember right now. Doesnt matter as most wont pick it usually.

But people need to understand the overall rating changes based on the philosophy at that position. If you have a one cut back but you have your philosophy at power rb, he's not gonna fit. He might make a couple plays here or there but he'll never be as highly rated as you feel he should be because he doesnt mesh with your sytem. Its also gonna take him longer to progress because he doesnt play the way your team wants that position to.

Different philosophies are keying in on different attributes to decide the intangibles size physical and the overall, based on how well the player fits what attributes they're looking for. Thats why different teams will go after different kinds of players in free agency and the draft.

I highly suggest you change progression to every 4 weeks or end of the year as it takes a while anyways to build up xp on lower levels so you'll need those weeks to be able to buy anything at first.

Make sure to check the weekly goals for the team as well so you know what will give you easy xp. One is for running teams where they say run 30 times. Just make sure you have a long enough game and you can get that easily.

Also, ALWAYS DO PRACTICE YOURSELF every week. Only do ones your teams personnel can win. If you dont beat the objective, you only get half the points, sometimes less...

I think if you're not practicing, the game wont practice their players to keep the playing field even so to speak.... That might be why your dont see cbs with high enough ratings around the league...

Last edited by Byron Yatch; 09-01-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #52
MVP

TajDeni's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Yatch
It can and does happen if you know how to play the game. A couple people have said it a couple times already. You have to save up to get the package that makes things cost less(its comparable to ambition in head coach 09). Also, when you picked your coach style, what kind of coach did you pick?

All 3 coach types (motivator, strategist, team builder) have DIFFERENT skills that make them easier or harder depending on what you're trying to do with what team(a team with no talent NEEDS a team builder for instance).

Motivators makes it so players want to play for you more. Free agents will pick your team over others for similar money. Player also play harder in clutch situations for a motivator coach(you're never out of a game with john madden or Vince lombardi coaching on the side line in other words)...

Strategist makes it so xp packages for players and the coach COST LESS.
THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT TO PICK IF YOU WANT TO PROGRESS YOUR TEAM FASTER. They also happen to be some of the best play callers so gameflow works better under them.

Team Builder makes it easier to scout and something else... cant remember right now. Doesnt matter as most wont pick it usually.

But people need to understand the overall rating changes based on the philosophy at that position. If you have a one cut back but you have your philosophy at power rb, he's not gonna fit. He might make a couple plays here or there but he'll never be as highly rated as you feel he should be because he doesnt mesh with your sytem. Its also gonna take him longer to progress because he doesnt play the way your team wants that position to.

Different philosophies are keying in on different attributes to decide the intangibles size physical and the overall, based on how well the player fits what attributes they're looking for. Thats why different teams will go after different kinds of players in free agency and the draft.

I highly suggest you change progression to every 4 weeks or end of the year as it takes a while anyways to build up xp on lower levels so you'll need those weeks to be able to buy anything at first.

Make sure to check the weekly goals for the team as well so you know what will give you easy xp. One is for running teams where they say run 30 times. Just make sure you have a long enough game and you can get that easily.

Also, ALWAYS DO PRACTICE YOURSELF every week. Only do ones your teams personnel can win. If you dont beat the objective, you only get half the points, sometimes less...

I think if you're not practicing, the game wont practice their players to keep the playing field even so to speak.... That might be why your dont see cbs with high enough ratings around the league...
i dont know if this is the solution to the OPs issue or not, but for convo sake lets say that there is some merit to this post....

then my next question is can a coach change his role, or is it set in stone?

4ex. lets say you were rebuilding a team with no talent, and you picked the teambuilder role, what happens when that team is finally loaded with talent, can the coach change into one of the other 2 archetypes based on what your team needs at that moment in time.

im just renting the game right now off of redbox so i havent even ventured into ccm yet.

Hidden Within the Depths of Silence and Solitude, Awaits the Realest Dude...
-- TajDeni
Old 09-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #53
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

For what it's worth, there's still a lot of 90+ overall guys in my CCM and I'm in 2017. LeVonte David and Mark Barron are both in the 90s for me now after starting out around a 78 or so. My RT has progressed from an 84 to a 91 in two seasons, and there's players on CPU teams progressing at a nice rate too.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 09-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #54
LSX
Rookie

LSX's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Yatch
It can and does happen if you know how to play the game. A couple people have said it a couple times already. You have to save up to get the package that makes things cost less...
Again, what does this have to do with this thread?

Some of you have these suggestions for how to progress your players. Fine. But what about the other 31 teams in the league? Whether it's flawed sim logic or XP goals or whatever it may be, players on CPU teams are not progressing at the rate they should. THAT is the issue.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #55
LSX
Rookie

LSX's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinner622
This does not only apply to user control teams, but mainly for cpu control teams.
Just in case anyone didn't read the original post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #56
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajDeni
i dont know if this is the solution to the OPs issue or not, but for convo sake lets say that there is some merit to this post....

then my next question is can a coach change his role, or is it set in stone?

4ex. lets say you were rebuilding a team with no talent, and you picked the teambuilder role, what happens when that team is finally loaded with talent, can the coach change into one of the other 2 archetypes based on what your team needs at that moment in time.

im just renting the game right now off of redbox so i havent even ventured into ccm yet.

Actually, the biggest difference between some people seeing decent progression and others not is that online ccm has increased the amount of XP given and offline has not since it has to wait for a patch. Saw this info in another thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »