Home

Identifying The Mike

This is a discussion on Identifying The Mike within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
A DB'S SWAG

avwhitechic's Arena

OVR: 2
Identifying The Mike

Why do quarterbacks call out the mike linebacker?

Answer:
Identifying someone as the mike linebacker sets up the protection for the center and backs. Typically the offensive guards and tackles take the defensive tackles and ends (most offensive lines try to block big on big). The center and backs have to figure out who is left unaccounted for to block. So based on defensive formation and tendencies learned during film, the QB (or center) calls out the Mike, which gives the center his blocking assignment. Once the Mike is establsihed - it may not be the player who in reality is the middle linebacker, the backs will know who to block. Without doing this, the center and backs may be late in figuring out who their guy is...

This could be an awesome feature and teach you the game at the same time if implemented correctly. Something to the affect of having the user point at a player who they think is the Mike for better protection. But if you guess wrong "bad things man Bad things".....Tecmo bowl like guess right blitz lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Rookie

AlmostLikeFlacco's Arena

Re: Identifying The Mike

I would actually like to have a "calling the mike" feature in. As long as it's not detrimental to you if you don't do it or if it's an on/off option.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
A DB'S SWAG

avwhitechic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostLikeFlacco
I would actually like to have a "calling the mike" feature in. As long as it's not detrimental to you if you don't do it or if it's an on/off option.

True i want it tasteful but in the real NFL there is no turn off option...If you dont do this you'll get your quarterback killed in the passing game.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Rookie

AlmostLikeFlacco's Arena

But then you have the casual "pick-up-n-play" Madden player getting destroyed all game and maybe not enjoying the game like they want to.

The "call the mike" mechanic would have to be simple to learn/master if it was going to be constantly there.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
A DB'S SWAG

avwhitechic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostLikeFlacco
But then you have the casual "pick-up-n-play" Madden player getting destroyed all game and maybe not enjoying the game like they want to.

The "call the mike" mechanic would have to be simple to learn/master if it was going to be constantly there.

This is true but 2k13 is not for casual gamers its a great game that rewards you with learning to play it correctly...i struggle with this game because of the controls but its more rewarding when i learn the "small" things that make it such a great game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Call out the Mike ability should correlate with the Pre Snap line adjustments control. Pointing the stick in a certain direction should command that focus on the Mike -- It's a great opportunity for them to develop this line protection control. Hopefully we will see this feature mature on the new consoles
Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Rookie

JDoze's Arena

OVR: 3

I'd rather see something more along the lines of calling out a blitzer. It could work just like spotlighting a receiver.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

What is the group think on enhancing ball carrier vision through a feature like the vision cone? or a slow-down / speed up effect for certain backs? Its an arcade like feature but I'm just thinking along the rails of making ball carrier vision come alive in a virtual perception context/concept

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »