Home

Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed)

This is a discussion on Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed) within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed)

Yeah I probably screwed something up with the upload. I'll try using megaload...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H4QD2OO8

This has the ZIP projections for over 1,000 players. Again, I made a menu so you can select the player, and then it automatically looks up the stat in the ZIPs proj. sheet. I left all of the formulas alone, although you could change these to whatever you think produces accurate ratings.

This isn't complete by any means, but I wanted to mess around to see what could be done to calculate ratings based off of a stat or stat projection database since Bahnzo's program isn't fully functional anymore.

Bahnzo's program used Baseballreference.com as the database, but I'm not advanced enough to know how to do that in Excel. I'm aware of the web query function but I'm not sure how to use it for this purpose.

Thanks again to Kritter for creating the Excel fie in an organized and user friendly manner. Hopefully someone who is more knowlegable can take this even a step further, and maybe we'll be able to use baseballreference as the database

Last edited by Yankee2441; 03-06-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7

I'll have to say not bad at all. The bunt might need a bit of work.. for example I put in Johnny Mac's bunting stats.. he has a couple sac bunts, in a very limited time on plate.. only 150 AB, and he still shows up at only 6 rating. I would say he's better than that.

So.. I would say we should and do something about making his bunt to what it would be if he had 550 At Bat, then whatever the math was to match with the 32 league average or whatever it was. Might help a bit. I'm actually using my own excel, by taking all the formulas off Bahzno's spreadsheet. I'm happy with it right now, including the pitchers without the pitch types of course. So i'm all ready for the 2011 version.... can't it come any sooner! lol

By the way I just tested the 550 AB, gave me 20 rating for Johnny Mac.. sounds much better. It's too bad 'cause I know he can do drag bunt but since he didn't play much, so the stats shows that he doesn't do it lol.

I had it at ((550/AB)*Sac Bunt)*0.9, then your formula off this in a different box. Just an idea. I did the same for Drag bunt as well.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2441
Yeah I probably screwed something up with the upload. I'll try using megaload...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H4QD2OO8

This has the ZIP projections for over 1,000 players. Again, I made a menu so you can select the player, and then it automatically looks up the stat in the ZIPs proj. sheet. I left all of the formulas alone, although you could change these to whatever you think produces accurate ratings.

This isn't complete by any means, but I wanted to mess around to see what could be done to calculate ratings based off of a stat or stat projection database since Bahnzo's program isn't fully functional anymore.

Bahnzo's program used Baseballreference.com as the database, but I'm not advanced enough to know how to do that in Excel. I'm aware of the web query function but I'm not sure how to use it for this purpose.

Thanks again to Kritter for creating the Excel fie in an organized and user friendly manner. Hopefully someone who is more knowlegable can take this even a step further, and maybe we'll be able to use baseballreference as the database

Good Job Kritter, yes if I could figure out how to pull the data from baseball referance, that would be great...but good job to the both of you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFFiTh
I'll have to say not bad at all. The bunt might need a bit of work.. for example I put in Johnny Mac's bunting stats.. he has a couple sac bunts, in a very limited time on plate.. only 150 AB, and he still shows up at only 6 rating. I would say he's better than that.

So.. I would say we should and do something about making his bunt to what it would be if he had 550 At Bat, then whatever the math was to match with the 32 league average or whatever it was. Might help a bit. I'm actually using my own excel, by taking all the formulas off Bahzno's spreadsheet. I'm happy with it right now, including the pitchers without the pitch types of course. So i'm all ready for the 2011 version.... can't it come any sooner! lol

By the way I just tested the 550 AB, gave me 20 rating for Johnny Mac.. sounds much better. It's too bad 'cause I know he can do drag bunt but since he didn't play much, so the stats shows that he doesn't do it lol.

I had it at ((550/AB)*Sac Bunt)*0.9, then your formula off this in a different box. Just an idea. I did the same for Drag bunt as well.
Everyone will have their own opinion on how to calculate X, Y, and Z ratings. Kritter said he used a combination of Bahnzo and TripleThreat. I think Excel could be a powerful tool to help roster creators formulate ratings and help keep everything organized. It may not be as user friendly as Bahnzo's program, but it could be just as useful.

The problem at the moment is coming up with a database to draw stats from. Theoretically you could go player by player typing in their split stats versus righties and lefties, but I can't fathom how long that would take. Linking Excel to baseball reference would be ideal, but I just don't know how to do that.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
td7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Great job, thanks for making this.

I took it a small step forward and incorporated a drop down menu where you could select a player. On sheet 2 I pasted 2010 stats from the Lahman database.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/MAPSFaXg

There are lookup functions for the stat inputs, so when you select a player from the drop down menu it will look to sheet 2 and find that player in the first column, and then find the corresponding value in the column that pertains to whatever stat you're trying to lookup.

All of this is easy to do, as long as you have a complete stat database. Like I said, those stats I took from Lahman. It would take way too much time to input stats on a player by player basis and I don't know how to use baseballreference.com as the database. I tried messing with web queries but I don't know enough about that to be able to make it work.
Where can I find the drop down menu on the excel file?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Everyone will have their own opinion on how to calculate X, Y, and Z ratings. Kritter said he used a combination of Bahnzo and TripleThreat. I think Excel could be a powerful tool to help roster creators formulate ratings and help keep everything organized. It may not be as user friendly as Bahnzo's program, but it could be just as useful.

The problem at the moment is coming up with a database to draw stats from. Theoretically you could go player by player typing in their split stats versus righties and lefties, but I can't fathom how long that would take. Linking Excel to baseball reference would be ideal, but I just don't know how to do that.
Yeah I know.. I'm not bashing him or anything.. just thought I'd give some feedback since his attributes for bunting would be really low. Just thought I'd help out

I personally prefer to input stats anyways so it's all good. One positive about it is I can do that for minor leaguers too while bahzno's tool had a very limited options for it (not that it's a bad thing.. I know he put tons of work on it). So I'm quite happy with doing the long but fun way lol.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Rookie

emath's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFFiTh
Yeah I know.. I'm not bashing him or anything.. just thought I'd give some feedback since his attributes for bunting would be really low. Just thought I'd help out

I personally prefer to input stats anyways so it's all good. One positive about it is I can do that for minor leaguers too while bahzno's tool had a very limited options for it (not that it's a bad thing.. I know he put tons of work on it). So I'm quite happy with doing the long but fun way lol.
Agree. I have ALWAYS preferred to get my own stats, as opposed to having it done automatically. This is the first ratings calc, for any game I have ever played, that one was made to do it auto, and I am not a huge fan of it being that way.

The one kritter made will be great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 10

I understand what you mean on the bunting stats, but I will admit, this is mostly for my needs (namely my 88-10 rosters) and I am using that time period as a basis for these stats. To be totally honest with you, if you can give me a better formula to use and type it all together in one post, I will be happy to put it into the program, but for now, basically what this does is simplifies each stat so everybody knows where they came from, I would have used TT or Bahnzo's formulas verbatim, but frankly, I had no idea what they were going for, and there were no formulas for the bunts, so I used the league leaders through that time period I mentioned. If you wish to use a longer period of time, or a different number, feel free, it will plug into whatever you decide to use.

Here's an idea, use your formula to find a more acceptable "leader" number, and plug that in instead of the ones I have in there, and use that, trust me, I won't be offended...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »