Home

Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed)

This is a discussion on Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed) within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TKAM0TWM

In order to facilitate historic roster making, I decided to attempt to make a calculator using Excel to extract realistic ratings for this great game. I made a calculator for BATTING + BASERUNNING ratings, as well as one for FIELDING ratings. Pitcher ratings you can still get from Bahnzo's old Roster Tools program which is still on here...

I used some information from Bahnzo's Roster Tools explaination (basically what he used to get his ratings) as well as TripleThreat's explaination of his formulas to come up with formulas of mine that I feel are easier to understand, and come back with realistic ratings.

You can type in a players stats straight off of B-R.com right at the top of the spreadsheet, and for the most part it will filter down into the correct spots. Some of the fielding ratings are by position, and some (arm strength in particular) required a special formula. I took Bahnzo's advice of using Caught Stealing % for Catchers, and I used a modified formula for 1st Basemen that separates Assists (which I used to calculate the Arm Strength stat since I don't know the formula Bahnzo made up for each position, and I was trying to be somewhat simple) that had nothing to do with the players arm strength from the Assists that did, seems simple enough, right? Above that I basically used the league leaders from the time period I am interested in (1988-present) as a jumping off point. Feel free to change the columns marked "Leader" as needed...

I hope you all will check this out and give me an honest opinion. I look forward to seeing how this helps the community out, it's my little contribution, enjoy!

THE LINK IS FOR THE FINAL VERSION I AM GOING TO POST OF THIS PROGRAM, ITS THE ONE I AM GOING TO USE, SO YOU SHOULD AS WELL, I KNOW SOME OF THE RATINGS ARE LOW FOR YOU GUYS, SO FEEL FREE TO CHANGE THE HIGH STAT, OR THE FORMULA, ONCE YOU DOWNLOAD, ITS YOUR CALL!!! ENJOY!!!

Last edited by Kritter77; 03-15-2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: FINAL update to Calculator!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed)

Nice contribution to the community. I'll be sure to check it out. Any plans to make something that will output a pitcher's pitchFX data the way Roster Tools did when it was working properly? I'd make a decent donation for something like that as I'm obsessive about pitchers having their correct pitch types.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Pro

I'm not quite that talented, frankly I'm amazed I pulled this off. I wish I knew how and where Bahnzo got that info and if it exists before 2007, but for now, that will be the extent of my contribution... Thanks for the kind words...
Old 03-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
td7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Very nice, thanks bro
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Rookie

emath's Arena

OVR: 2

Excellent.

I am using a combination of roster tools (the parts that still work), Dylan Bradbury's MVP 05 rating calculators, and a few formulas that I came up with on my own to do mine.

I seem to get pretty good statistical output when using them.

With the release of '11 so close, and all the improvements that are in it, my completion of rosters I had been working on for '10 is kinda dead in it's tracks. Don't want to keep messing with it, and put any more time into it if I am just gonna stop on Tuesday anyway.

I had not reached the point of inputting ratings yet anyway (just getting my roster set, and guys created to this point), so I will def give this a whirl to see what I think before continuing on with my methods.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Rookie

Great job, thanks for making this.

I took it a small step forward and incorporated a drop down menu where you could select a player. On sheet 2 I pasted 2010 stats from the Lahman database.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/MAPSFaXg

There are lookup functions for the stat inputs, so when you select a player from the drop down menu it will look to sheet 2 and find that player in the first column, and then find the corresponding value in the column that pertains to whatever stat you're trying to lookup.

All of this is easy to do, as long as you have a complete stat database. Like I said, those stats I took from Lahman. It would take way too much time to input stats on a player by player basis and I don't know how to use baseballreference.com as the database. I tried messing with web queries but I don't know enough about that to be able to make it work.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Rookie

I found the 2011 ZIPs projections so I'm creating a database in Excel based on that. The only problem is there are no projected split stats to base ratings on for contact and power.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2441
I found the 2011 ZIPs projections so I'm creating a database in Excel based on that. The only problem is there are no projected split stats to base ratings on for contact and power.
Hey Yankee, your link didn't work when trying to download, says its not valid?...it could be me though as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »