Home

Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #57
Rookie

DaiYoung's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: CPU vs CPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
I'm thinking that, and/or catcher reaction. I'm pretty sure, if I recall correctly, that catchers have a reaction attribute. Don't quote me on that. But, they may get themselves to the ball faster that way. If your near your PS3, feel free to check. Otherwise, I'll check in a few hours and report back tomorrow.
Heh, I had to check before I posted last because I wasn't even sure there was a blocking attribute. Yes, there is also a reaction attribute. I wonder if that might have a knock on effect on SB success rate though?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #58
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiYoung
Heh, I had to check before I posted last because I wasn't even sure there was a blocking attribute. Yes, there is also a reaction attribute. I wonder if that might have a knock on effect on SB success rate though?
Wow...didn't think of that. Hmmmm...

There's no way it would trump arm strength and such though. Do you think? I don't know. Man, wouldn't it be a pain to edit EVERY catcher EVER over the course of your franchise?

Maybe not...15 points each to start. Maybe a bit much, but decent for testing.

Either way, I'm glad WP are still less than 1 per team, per game. Even though it will have a modest impact on runs, it's not like it's 3 per team per game like last year.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjoid
Good to see you again TGreer....you're right about the HRs. I'm the same, I like to have my stats are realistic as possible. The main concern we have at present seems to be the number of WPs which cause the advancement of runners in certain situations. Unfortunately this is part of the AI which we can't do anything about via sliders. We've posted it on the bugs forum to see if SCEA can reduce it's occurence.

I'm getting to a point where I'm pretty happy with the results. I've spent my final holiday today watching loads of cpu v cpu games using my settings. Seeing loads of variation in hits/scores per game.....just watched Seattle come back from 6-1 down after 7 to beat the A's 8-6. Yet another game saw the Giants defeat the Rockies 1-0...the second successive 1-0 game between the two teams.

What I'm rolling with is: All default except

Power -1 (from default)
Timing -2
Solid Hits -4
Starter Stamina +1
Pitch speed Max
Field Errors +1
Steal Freq +3

This is for both human & cpu - just in case it affects home & away like it did in the past.

Hope that helps, give them a go and see what you think. All sliders are subjective to what we want to achieve, my ideas will be different to Dai's - which is good - however, I think we're pretty close as to where we are going, give or take the odd difference.

I know Dai is currently testing the pitcher consistency slider and I'm still may drop the steal success slider a touch too to allow for more attempts to be caught.
Are you playing the game on all star level if not what do you have it set at.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #60
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiYoung
Smallish sample size but here's what I have, Ninjoid...

From 12 games with the pitch consistency slider at zero. Pertinent results:

Stats are per team per game (MLB 2010 numbers in brackets)

BB 3.19 (3.25)
K 6.86 (7.06)
WP 0.82 (0.34)
HBP 0.22 (0.32)

Good news - walks are up, strikeouts aren't down, HBP up a little.
Bad news - WP obviously very high

The numbers look very promising, but one thing that concerns me about the pitch consistency set to zero is that, if I understand correctly, it makes a pitcher very erratic in a "random" way, isn't it? I've read the whole discussions last year how people experimented with pitch control/consistency and a sort of unexpected way these sliders affect how CPU pitches, but I still don't know how exactly control/consistency work.

My understanding (from the online manual) is that pitch control affects the size of circle around the desired pitch location, and the actual pitch is more likely to land inside that circle. So a pitcher with better control has a smaller circle whereas a poor control pitcher has a larger circle. If this is all there is, a pitcher would almost never throw a very erratic pitch (like behind a hitter).

Now, the pitch consistency changes the size of that circle by a huge margin occasionally (the frequency controlled by the pitch consistency slider) to sort of imitate how a pitcher just totally misses the target once in a while.

If this is the way it works, is it desirable to make pitchers very erratic like that?

Being a nerd I tried to do a simple experiment this evening to actually test this hypothesis, but I can only see 25 pitches at a time with pitcher analysis, so the small sample size kinda killed it for me. Data can still be accumulated, but it's quite boring to keep pitching fastballs down the middle with classic pitching (the best way to intend to pitch to the same location) and collect data in the end.

Does anyone know exactly the relation between control and consistency?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #61
Pro

OVR: 4

Ninjoid, ran another 8 games today with your base slider set. Offense is a bit concerning to me now. Trying to find a happy medium between these and Default is tough. I'm only showing 6.7 runs, hits are close and I like the feel of them (16.7 as opposed to 17.5 mlb avg) Runs in those games were 4, 8, 10, 5, 6, 7, & 7. Too many close games as well because the winning team is not scoring much. Also, BB it seems is too low (3.9 per gme between the 2 teams). For you or Dai, if you guys want me to test anything over a long period with any tweaks you are working on let me know. You guys know more about this than me, but if you need another tester I would be more than willing (even if it means moving something 1 notch) that way you guys could test run something else. I have the game on all day in my office as I work from home. So would enjoy helping if needed. Can you tell I'm anxious to get this right and start my MOM franchise? Let me know what I can do to help
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #62
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimmarov
Are you playing the game on all star level if not what do you have it set at.
I've got everything on All Star.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:30 AM   #63
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreer
Ninjoid, ran another 8 games today with your base slider set. Offense is a bit concerning to me now. Trying to find a happy medium between these and Default is tough. I'm only showing 6.7 runs, hits are close and I like the feel of them (16.7 as opposed to 17.5 mlb avg) Runs in those games were 4, 8, 10, 5, 6, 7, & 7. Too many close games as well because the winning team is not scoring much. Also, BB it seems is too low (3.9 per gme between the 2 teams). For you or Dai, if you guys want me to test anything over a long period with any tweaks you are working on let me know. You guys know more about this than me, but if you need another tester I would be more than willing (even if it means moving something 1 notch) that way you guys could test run something else. I have the game on all day in my office as I work from home. So would enjoy helping if needed. Can you tell I'm anxious to get this right and start my MOM franchise? Let me know what I can do to help
Is that combined runs or per team? If it's combined you could possibly try and up the solid hits slider by 1 or 2 and see what gives. I know Dai has this slider at default so it may be worth upping it and see what happens.

As for walks - I'm not sure as I'm seeing quite a few and I think my settings are the same as Dai's in that respect. Upping the solid hits may help as more hits/runs may dent a pitcher's confidence and cause more walks - maybe? See what happens bud.

Hope that's ok with you. Must admit my testing is very limited now that I'm back to work...my main bulk will come on a weekend as I can't get too many games in on an evening.

See what happens with that Tgreer and let me know - thanks

Last edited by Ninjoid; 03-16-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #64
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Nomo, your description of the control slider is perfect!!! It's great having discussions on sliders with guys that really GET it!!!

My understanding of consistency can be understood with the exact same idea of control. Take that 'large/small' control circle. Okay? Consistency is what causes it to miss outside of that control circle. The worse control a pitcher has, the lower the consistency, and the lower the pitch execution and such...the further outside that control bubble the ball will land.

Remember, comparing 10' to 11' on this is a bad idea. If this were 10', I'd agree with you. This year, however, beaned batters have been clearly toned down. Look at Dalyoung's stats from his recent sim. It did EXACTLY what I had expected. Walks are up, and HBP is still below MLB averages. It's simple, SCEA toned down the HBP this year.

WP, thanks to the catcher, are up. Not thanks to the engine.

Consistency at zero will not turn good pitchers into A.J. Burnett/Oliver Perez this year. LOL! Dalyoung is on the right track.

I don't blame you for your concern, though. 10' was a WP/HBP feast!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »