Home

Running FB and 4seam fastball

This is a discussion on Running FB and 4seam fastball within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Running FB and 4seam fastball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarityman;2041318468[B
]I really don't know about that. I do a lot of replays, I have about 100 saved on my PS3, and the 4seam fastball certainly seems to me like it has movement on it this year.[/b]

Especially when guys whose fastballs have high break ratings, like CC Sabathia, are pitching.

It's not as blatant as the RFB and 2sfb, but it's there.
Absolutely! I raised breaking for fastballs and it became so hard to locate them that I now lowered the ratings.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
All Star

Rod_Carew29's Arena

OVR: 38
@ El_MaYiMbE

Exact explanation...the key word being 'horizontal'

^5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
RFB fastball moves left to right out of a right handers hand like the 2FB, but the the 2FB has some downward movement as well, RFB does more of a horizontal shift.

The 4 seam is just a straight FB in The Show.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
In real life, in this game its just straight.
That is true if you aim for the yellow line on meter pitching. If you go to the red (max break) and then stop higher or lower of the line, the pitch will have movement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #12
Banned

InSainn's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyhartsdaughter
That is true if you aim for the yellow line on meter pitching. If you go to the red (max break) and then stop higher or lower of the line, the pitch will have movement.
This is correct. I've tested many things out with the 4-seamer and like a reallife 4-seamer it has a ****ton of movement but no set in stone break. If you throw it perfectly on the mark, max power it'll have perfect backspin and give the illusion that it's rising. If you hit it on the mark with less power it'll still goto the mark but with less backspin and will appear to sink just a little (the less power the more sink). If you're a little early on your mark the ball will run in just like a running fastball and if you're a little late on your mark the ball will cut like a cut fastball. Too many people expect the 4-seamer to do exactly what it puts up on the screen but it's really the most lively pitch in the game as it can be influenced to move 8 different ways. Think of it as if you were throwing a real baseball, a real 4-seamer, if you throw it the way the pitch is truely meant to be thrown it's straight as an arrow with a ton of spin, but if you're off on your grip or release point slightly it's gonna cause the ball to do different things.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

wasnt sure where I wanted to post this but this older thread will suffice.

is the running fastball a real pitch? who throws/threw it in real life?
and while this particular thread compares it to a 4 seamer, I originally thought it was the opposite of the cutter, but now I'm not so sure. I'm starting to think maybe its more akin to the 2 seamer/sinker.
I have found numerous articles in great detail on every other pitch in the Show but the more I research the ''runner'', as like to call it, the less I realise I really understand it. and whether it even really exists. the Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers makes nary a mention of it and neither does the Dickson Baseball Dictionary. if anyone can provide info or point me somewhere that really goes in depth on the RFB, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks, Caulfield.

EDIT: ugh, didnt realise this thread was in a dead forum,sorry

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 06-21-2017 at 09:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »