Home

MLB 11 The Show "Franchise/Season" Progress Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show "Franchise/Season" Progress Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #705
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: MLB 11 The Show "Franchise/Season" Progress Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

Bullpen =
Oh im with you on bullpens...only 3 out of my 7 are performing, its killing me.

Hows progress Country?

Ive started 4-5, struggling offensively but getting by with some good starting pitching from Verlander, Scherzer and Porcello...but not Brad Penny, an ERA of 27.00 after 2 games, 6 innings, 19 hits given up, i kid you not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #706
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Oh im with you on bullpens...only 3 out of my 7 are performing, its killing me.

Hows progress Country?

Ive started 4-5, struggling offensively but getting by with some good starting pitching from Verlander, Scherzer and Porcello...but not Brad Penny, an ERA of 27.00 after 2 games, 6 innings, 19 hits given up, i kid you not.
My pitching has been my saving grace, with the exception of Penny who is 0-2 with a 6+ ERA. I watched him pitch that gem (IRL) the other day, and I remember before the game, the commentators mentioned he had the highest ERA for eligible starters...

Edit: I had a great walk-off win in Penny's last start though. He actually pitched pretty good (2 runs in 6.1 innings) but walked a few and gave up a 2-run homer to Konerko in the 4th. Perry got the win, after I manufactured a run in the 7th (Villareal pitching) and I brought Perry in top 9 to get some work. The CPU brought in Thornton to close for Buerhle, and he retired Raburn and Ordonez fairly quickly, then Cabby line the first pitch to center for a single. V-Mart steps up and has a long battle and on like the ninth pitch (1-2 count) he hits a walkoff just over the LF wall! I had pretty much mailed in the loss... that was a pretty realistic blown save for Chicago's pen too.

Needless to say, that is why I love this game! I'll have to post that highlight reel on YouTube.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

YouTube

Last edited by thaSLAB; 04-27-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #707
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
My pitching has been my saving grace, with the exception of Penny who is 0-2 with a 6+ ERA. I watched him pitch that gem (IRL) the other day, and I remember before the game, the commentators mentioned he had the highest ERA for eligible starters...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Yeah, doesnt surprise me, yes he threw a gem the other day but hes so inconsistent, if his 2-seamer isnt on he gets hammered.

Im giving him one more start, if hes bad again hes down to Toledo and im going to give Andy Oliver a shot in the rotation.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #708
Banned

OVR: 0

Just played the season opener at home against the Astros. My ihtting wasn't the best (I had 5 hits), but I ended up winning 2-1, with Jason Kubel hitting a solo HR in his first AB, and Denard Span getting a walk-off HR in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs. I decided to start my second-year 19-year-old SP over Nolasco because I think that he's a better option, because even though Nolasco has GREAT control, this 19-year-old can throw 100 MPH and has the best slider in the game (and, no I didn't edit him to make him a super rookie, I only edited his 2-seam FB speed because it's unrealistic to throw a 100 MPH 4 seamer and a 90 MPH 2 seamer). He pitched 6.2 solid innings, giving up 6 hits and 1 run, and getting a hit himself. It was a crazy game that had a few close calls (I failed a suicide squeeze in the 8th, and I threw a rocket form CF to throw out their runner at home in the 9th). Sean Gallagher got the win, pitching the last 2.1 innings and striking out 6!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #709
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19

After restarting my A's franchise over and over again due to not being able to win, i decided to finally swallow my pride and take some advice from some of the threads that I've been reading.

i have always wanted to try to play a National League team such as the Pirates. So i started my new dynasty by choosing to do a fantasy draft.

I went with Youth as much as i could throughout the drafting process. as soon as I'm done playing my first game i will list my starting rotation, bullpen and starting lineup and bench.

Currently im losing 3-2 going into the bottom of the 4th inning. see you after it is over.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #710
Banned

OVR: 14

I picked up Roy Halladay after he was released by the Phillies. It cost me $37 million over two years, the most expensive free agent pick up by far in my franchise, but well worth it. Since joining the team, he has not lost a game yet. He is easily my favorite pitcher to pitch with, ever. If I had any idea he was this much fun, I would have tried to pick him up in season 1. So with Halladay sitting at a 6-0 record, he was set to face off against a 7-0 Roy Oswalt of the Diamondbacks in our first interleague game of the season. As perfect as Oswalt was pitching in the season, he must have been due up for his first bad game, as we just lit him up. In the meantime, Halladay threw his first shutout of the season. I am really loving this guy. My luck though, he will end up retiring at the end of the season, a la Cliff Lee.

Speaking of Lee, Max Stassi, the guy I traded to get Lee, is now leading all AL catchers in all star voting and home runs. I guess it turned out to be a great trade for Seattle. I can't complain, since he did pitch very well to help us win the series, but it still grinds on me knowing I gave up so much, especially now that Suzuki's contract is up at the end of the year and re-signing him may not be possible.

Last edited by cardsleadtheway; 04-26-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #711
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19

ok as promised i will now unveil my fantasy roster for you to judge. again i went with as much youth as i could find in this one. also tried to build around pitching and defense as i could.

Starting Rotation

Stephen Strasburg (22)
Edwin Volquez (27)
Johnny Cueto (25)
Justin Masterson (25)
Kyle Drabek (23) R

Bullpen

LRP - Scott Mathieson (27) R
MRP - Tyson Ross 23) R
MRP - Brandon League (27)
MRP - Michael Kohn (24) R
SU - Rafael Soriano (31)
SU - Aroldis Chapman (23) R
CL - Drew Storen (23)

Starting Lineup

CF - Julio Borbon (25)
1B - Todd Helton 37)
C - Matt Wietters (24)
SS - Johnny Peralta (28)
2B - Skip Schumaker (31)
3B - Danny Valencia (26)
RF - Lastings Milledge (25)
LF - Jose Tabata (22)

Bench

SS - Ronny Cedeno (28)
CF - Cameron Maybin (23)
C - Jeff Mathis (27)
1B - Justin Smoak (24)
CF - Peter Bourjos (23)

So as you can see i tried to stay as young as i could in most cases. my first five draft picks were of course my starting rotation. had to get that secured first and foremost.

I can only hope that this young team can help bring life to the game for me and help me bring a playoff berth to the steel city. I'm not starting out well after losing 3-2 to the cubs on the road.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #712
Rookie

DJeterFan2's Arena

OVR: 0

Season Update: My record is 33-8. And my struggles against the Sox continue. I lost 2 out of 3 again against the Sox. Both Dice-K and John Lackey pitched gems against me. I struck out nearly 10 times against each pitcher. I was kept off balance the entire game.

As far as my team stats, it's been pretty good so far.

Team AVG: .278
Team ERA: 3.06

As far as the team MVP goes for the first quarter of the season. I'd have to go with Zach Duke

He's gone 6-1 with a ERA of 0.95 a WHIP of 0.86 and 40 SO. To think i picked this guy up for a bag of peanuts, so he could be another lefty presence in the rotation. It's paid off wonder so far.

I also made a trade for Ryan Perry and another relief prospect from the Tigers for Catcher Gary Sanchez, Joba Chamberlain(he was stinking it up), and a 3B prospect. I'm looking to send Ivan Nova back to the minors as he's been getting tossed around this season.

Lastly, I declined the trade from the Nationals for Jason Kipnis. The left side of the infield is way too tender at the moment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »