Home

Do you ever get thrown out???

This is a discussion on Do you ever get thrown out??? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Do you ever get thrown out???

I'm about 10 games into a season playing as the Reds. I have yet to have a runner thrown out stealing. Not even close really. Phillips is 3/3, Stubbs 2/2, Votto 2/2, Renteria 2/2. Is this just the way it is, or will these stats even out a bit the more I play.

Kinda makes me not even wanna steal bases due to the unrealistic stats it produces.

Also, I was wondering if anyone ever walks a batter. I have yet to walk a batter and don't really see how it's even possible. I'm considering walking a few each game just for the sake of realism. Is there a slider, or something I can do to produce walks naturally?? Thanks for any advice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Pro

The Amaizen Blue's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Do you ever get thrown out???

I get thrown out all the time lol. I've only been picked off at first once, but like 20 times going to 2nd.

As for walks, I rarely get them too. The strike zone is huge at the top of the zone.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I get thrown out while trying to steal on catchers with good arms like Molina, Martin, etc. I get picked off more than I get thrown out however. Lefties kill me on that fake throw to home, throw to 1st move.

As for the walks I probably have 1-2 per game. It is mostly when I am trying to strikeout a high number of batters by making them chase pitches out of the zone. With a sinker ball pitcher I normally pitch to contact and hardly ever walk a batter. I still feel that the game is incredibly realistic however.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantownbruins
Lefties kill me on that fake throw to home, throw to 1st move.
That would get me too! I'm confused. Do mean the fake to 3rd, throw to 1st? Only righties do that...

I do have lots better success stealing against some catchers then others but I do get thrown out too.

With these kind of questions you should always say what levels you're playing on. That determines everything. Pitching on All-Star using analog, I'm always aiming at the edges of the zone and I do miss sometimes. So yea I walk a couple every game.

Last edited by Mabster; 04-11-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger05
I'm about 10 games into a season playing as the Reds. I have yet to have a runner thrown out stealing. Not even close really. Phillips is 3/3, Stubbs 2/2, Votto 2/2, Renteria 2/2. Is this just the way it is, or will these stats even out a bit the more I play.

Kinda makes me not even wanna steal bases due to the unrealistic stats it produces.

Also, I was wondering if anyone ever walks a batter. I have yet to walk a batter and don't really see how it's even possible. I'm considering walking a few each game just for the sake of realism. Is there a slider, or something I can do to produce walks naturally?? Thanks for any advice.
Try raising your base stealing ability slider to around 7 or 8. Word is this slider works the opposite of its description thus the higher the setting the harder it is to steal.
At least that's the way I understood it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Great, thanks for the answers. I was hoping it was just one of those things that would even itself out. After all, it would not be terrible unusual for a team in real life to get 8-12 straight stolen bases. Then turn around and get thrown out 4 or 5 times in a row.

As for what level i'm playing on, I really don't know lol. I forgot. I will have to check. It's not a high level i'm sure. I kinda suck at these kinda games to be honest. I found analog hitting to be impossible for me. I use classic hitting and auto baserunning lol.

Buy hey, I'm an old gamer at 41, so I gots an excuss!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

The cool thing is that you can change the levels independantly of each other. Lots of people find one or two aspects of the game easier then others parts. If you're always hitting your spots while pitching, and you want more consistent results, consider moving only that part of the difficulty up a notch. There's also the sliders, but don't get too drastic with them. Change control one or two notches and then play 10-15 games.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabster
That would get me too! I'm confused. Do mean the fake to 3rd, throw to 1st? Only righties do that...
No, I mean when the opposing pitcher starts their windup and then instead of throwing their pitch they throw to 1st base. Users can do this too but it can only be done with a lefty. Just hold down L2 and instead of tapping the SQUARE button to try a pickoff, or double tapping the SQUARE button to try and even faster pickoff move, hold down L2 and hold down the SQUARE button until your pitcher makes the throw over to 1st base. You will start your windup and look like you are going to throw your pitch but instead you will throw to first. This works even if you are using the analog pitching controls. It's a great animation, but it kills me when I'm running the bases.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »