Home

MLB 12 The Show - PS3 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show - PS3 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #25
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: MLB 12 The Show - Impressions Thread

Just finished an epic game between the Cubs and the Mets(can a game between these two clubs be epic)

I finally broke a 4-4 tie in the 13th, when Soriano hit a 2 run blast. What can I say , but it felt great the whole way through. The game had errors, home-runs, great defensive plays and repetitive rehashed announcing

One of the improvements that I absolutely love this year, is how little an animation interferes with what you are trying to do on the field. You no longer feel like the last second of a play is just a canned animation. It feels like you have complete control down to final millisecond...which is awesome
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #26
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Alright, just finished a full game as the Jays in Miami (I think playing against Miami will be many guys' first or second game lol) and man oh man, All-Star seems slightly tougher this year than last. Maybe it's rust, though I've been playing RTTS in 11 for the last week, but I lost 6-4. I used Henderson Alvarez and it took me almost 50(!) pitches to get out of the first two innings. I was down 6-0 going into the top of the 3rd and Zambrano had me swinging at all sorts of splitters in the dirt.

Made a game of it with the long ball but all in all, they controlled the game from the outset. Tried Pulse Pitching again, and yeah, just not my thing. But like I mentioned previously, MANY on these boards will enjoy it. Used ZAB almost the whole game and no doubt, this will be what I take into my RTTS and Franchise. Very natural for me so far.

At this point, really enjoying all the little things that have been tweaked that make this such a great game but no doubt, the ball physics are a game changer like Skyboxer mentioned. Its the real deal. I'm gonna play around with Classic and Meter pitching as well as Timing and Zone hitting in the next game I play.

Ill tell you, its veeeeeeeery tempting to start an RTTS right now but I know when the OS rosters come out, ill just start a new one with those. Wish the servers were up to dive into DD a bit but not a big deal, I'll just keep playing single games and try and come across some of the very specific Q's in the other thread.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #27
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Just had a ball (I was pitching) that hit the 1st base bag and went straight up. I fielded it with my 1b but was so confused as to what the heck was happening by the time I realized what had happened I panicked and missed the bag and batter was safe....

Good grief lol

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #28
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Just finsihed a full game- CUBS at Washington and it was sweet!
The CUBS led the whole way and went to the 9th leading 2-1.
Washington rallied for 2 in the 9th for the win!
Desmond singled, Werth singled, Zimmerman singled and Desmond scored to tie the game.
LaRoche struck out for the 1st out, Morse grounded out.
2 outs runners on 2nd and 3rd. Espinosa was intentionally walked.
Pinch hitter Derosa singled to center for the game winner!

Chicago 2 runs on 5 hits
Washington 3 runs on 9 hits

I'll throw up the highlight reel in a few...

I don't want to go to bed!!

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 03-02-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 5

The first thing that has to be said is everything is so much smoother from menus to gameplay. Collision avoidance isn't perfect but makes a big difference most of the time. In my first game I didn't notice any commentary from last year that really annoyed me. Pulse pitching is more challenging than it might look watching videos.

One thing I've noticed that I don't like is the training drill options in the main menu. I couldn't find a way to do fielding or baserunning at all from the main menu and there is only one option for pitching and hitting vs. last year when you had multiple of each. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong let me know, Good at bat was my favorite last year and right now it seems to not even be an option.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #30
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26
Thumbs up Re: MLB 12 The Show - Impressions Thread

Got home from work kind of late. Played only 1 game (angels vs Yankees). I was the Yankees on a partly cloudy day and and I must say that it really did appear to be a partly cloudy game. At times it would get cloudy and at times the sun would be shining bright.

Here were my settings:

All star all the way
Tried pulse pitching for a few innings but went to Analog pitching afterwards
Zone hitting
Button fielding

Pitching:

I must say that pulse pitching was harder than I expected. I could not get my timing down at all. In 3 innings, I walked 3 batters withCc which is good. I switched to analog and still walked 3 hitters which I really liked. Right now I'm leaning towards using analog pitching since I've been using analog pitching all of last year. This year it seems that you can get your fair share of walks with analog.

Hitting:

Hitting is great. Stuck with my bread and butter which is zone hitting and I'm liking the new default camera angle. I'm able to see the pitches better and am able to get deep in the count. It's a lot easier to judge the break of the pitch IMO which allows me to lay off of close pitches. In the first game I played tonite I managed to get 7 hits and 3 runs so hitting is not dumbed down. It's actually "smartened up" with the new ball physics.

Fielding:

Saw some great fielding animations in the game I played tonite. Didnt see any balls warping into gloves. Saw a ball bounce off of Arods glove on a dive and it looks like pitchers can throw out hitters on slow dribblers close to the 3rd base foul line. I had Cc come off the mound to get to a ball hit slowly towards the line and got the runner out on a close play at first. Last year, I remember the pitcher would get to the ball, only to have his momentum prevent him from firing to 1st in time more often than not.

Presentation:

Love it. Love the overlays and player stats when they walk up to the plate such as how much success or failures they have against a particular pitcher. Also, I can tell that the commentary has beem improved and thy have added a good amount of new dialogue. The game truly has a broadcast feel to it.

Even though I wasn't able to get much playing time in tonite, I really like what the devs have done to the game. Can't wait to get more time with the game over the weekend. I will try to post some pictures and highlights in the highlight thread.

The only bad thing is the fact that I have to go to work tomorrow so I'm off to bed.
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by ckarlic; 03-02-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #31
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

Pretty funny that the first game I tried was the Jays at Miami, just like sroz. He would have finished this game before I even got to his place to grab my copy (thanks again, bud!). Jays fans think alike I suppose.

Anyway, in my game, Romero dominated and I won 4-0, CG 3 hitter with RR.

I have to re-iterate what many said, the ball just feels so much different, it is a complete game changer. It just feels like baseball.

The graphics or lighting or something is improved, not sure what, but damn!!

I am going to bed, but will go into the Q & A thread tomorrow and answer as much as I can for you guys!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #32
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes
Pretty funny that the first game I tried was the Jays at Miami, just like sroz. He would have finished this game before I even got to his place to grab my copy (thanks again, bud!). Jays fans think alike I suppose.

Anyway, in my game, Romero dominated and I won 4-0, CG 3 hitter with RR.

I have to re-iterate what many said, the ball just feels so much different, it is a complete game changer. It just feels like baseball.

The graphics or lighting or something is improved, not sure what, but damn!!

I am going to bed, but will go into the Q & A thread tomorrow and answer as much as I can for you guys!
To the bolded part.. Yes they have. The overcast days even "feel" overcast lol.
Loving every every second but need to wind down to get some sleep soon.
I know there's more SCEA can do to make the game even greater but damn what a game this is!

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »