Home

MLB 12 The Show - Vita Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show - Vita Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 12 The Show - Vita Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1113
OK, first exhibition match out of the way. Boston (me) at San Francisco.

I lost. No surprise there, but only by one run. The game was great, and I'm getting in to pulse pitching now - it rocks. Managed to pitch pretty well other than one stray ball to a pinch hitter that left the park for the go ahead runs...

However, I suck at analog batting on the Vita. I probably need to just get used to it, and the new feedback on your stride timing is really helpful, but I ended up reverting to timing only batting, which I also suck at

The Vita quick-play mode is a little, um, quick, and I'd have liked to see at least a few replays (home run for example), but it moves the game along nicely and I understand why they've done it.

As I said before, the graphics, to me, are fine. The lighting is good, and it really does give that PS3 'feel' as you're playing. Obviously it's not as detailed (and I've not yet played the new version on my PS3), but I have no complaints.

One thing I've not seen how to do, so maybe it's not there on the Vita, is to choose your swing type - power, contact, normal - there just doesn't seem to be the option for it.

Thumbs up from me. If only I could hit...
Power, SQUARE, Normal, X and Contact is O.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Rookie

thx1113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboreham
Power, SQUARE, Normal, X and Contact is O.
I think my problem was I'm used to the rumble feedback of the PS3! The Vita is sadly lacking in that department... Glad to hear it's in there though.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
#ITFDB

sbmnky's Arena

OVR: 14

Just picked it up (picture in 'Who's getting this for the Via' thread). It's The Show we all know and love on a hand-held - that pretty awesome!

Couple of things I noticed:

• The ball is bigger in exhibition than it is in practice modes (I'm assuming this is because lack of fielding in BP)
  • I haven't figured out how to customize my batting cam (Is this available)
  • When setting batting/pitching analysis to 'BUTTON' the analysis is not populating when I push the R/L buttons. I have to have this set to 'ON' in order to view analysis - which in the case is on every pitch. I'd prefer to have the option to view it only when prompted. (this works in BP mode, but not exhibition)
  • The analog controls are pretty tiny and while I play analog on PS3, I might play button only on the Vita.

I'm at work and didn't log on to WiFi, so I'm not sure if the update addresses either of the observations in bold from above.

So far I'm enjoying the game and it's a bit premature to give my overall impressions, but I certainly see this being a daily device just for this game. I now get my Show fix when I'm away from my PS3 and cross-platform saves is now a must for all sports games. This is really well done.

Last edited by sbmnky; 03-03-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Linked to picture in other thread
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Scored a copy in Long Beach. Yay! Then went to a nearby Starbucks and got a game in lost. Giants vs. Marlins in the new park. I picked this matchup because that is what I played a couple of days ago at BB (wanted to see the new park). This way, I could compare the PS Vita 12 to the PS3 version.

I am very, very pleased! Understand that I bought the Vita almost exclusively for the Show. Also, I played every version of the PSP so I have a lot of history here. The bottom line is that the PS3 game (not version) but GAME is now on a handheld device. Some thoughts/observations:

1. It is very jarring how quick it plays. I think we will get used to but, but Wow is this thing on speed. Not the gameplay, but everything in between. For example, you hit a homerun and the announcers are still announcing the play-by-play and you are looking at the next hitter already standing in the batter's box. Yes, it is that quick.

2. At the same time, other presentation values are still there. The in between inning "buffers" are pretty much there and there is lots of good commentary (between old PSP and PS3 IMO). Also, lots of nice sound effects (play a game in Yankee Stadium for best example). All of this helps with the immersion factor and helps mitigate, to some degree, the quick presentation.

3. You better get good at hitting pause, start, etc. if you need to do anything in between batters, pitches, etc. The game hardly takes a breath during innings. It isn't "fast play" but more like "quick play." I wish we had the option to play differently, but oh well.

4. Graphics are fine IMO. In fact, I think they look really good and represent a MAJOR upgrade over the PSP. Now, if you have ONLY ever played the PS3 version then you will notice a bit of a step down. But it is a HUGE leap from the PSP. In addition, the framerates during gameplay are also fine. There is a bit of a slow down when they zoom in on a player stepping into the box, etc. But trust me, all of that happens so fast that you really don't notice. Again, gameplay is good. If you played the 2007 PSP version you remember the awful framerate disaster that was never fixed. That is NOT the case here!

5. Size of the ball is fine IMO. In fact, I played several innings before I even thought to look for it. Yes, it is a bit bigger than it should be but not so big that it takes away from the game. At least that is my opinion and my 48 year old eyes agree

6. The coolest part of the game, IMO, is how pretty much everything you have come to expect in the PS3 version is now in a handheld. For example, you now have your full cache of pitches and not limited to only 4. This was an old PSP restriction and it always drove me nuts. For a handhelf, everything feels very robust which, given the number of games I logged on the PSP over the years, is really something to cheer about.

I lost 4-1. I already know that getting the hang of pitching on those short analog sticks is going to be a challenge. I am also used to having the vibration of the strike zone on the PS3 and that isn't here. Might be a good thing, however, as I actually walked 4 and I almost never give up walks.

In addition, I personally didn't have a single batter strikeout. I have NEVER had a game where I didn't strikeout at least once (anything less than double digits is a real victory for me). I even got a trophy for it (contact king or something like that). This could be really encouraging. Time will tell...

Also, the overlays, physics, etc. that are new to the PS3 version of 12 are here, too. This includes the new glove/bat sounds.

Again, I am really happy with it and can't wait to play again (have some grading to do ). I was really worried when I started reading this thread this morning but am now excited again. Right now, it scores an 8.5 from me!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #13
Rookie

Personally I disagree with anyone complaining about the speed. I just spent a couple hours with it. With the console version I will leave all presentations on and have game play speed at normal for the first couple of weeks. Then after that I disable almost all replays and cutscenes and speed it up anyways. So for me, it's playing at the speed me likey.

Last edited by vagrantwade; 03-04-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #14
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Same rules apply from PS3 Impression Thread.

No comments unless you have the game and are sharing your impressions.

Thank you.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
Rookie

Good news, after yesterday's disappointment, I'm really enjoying the game!

Ignoring the sometimes dirty textures and little oddities, and just enjoying some great baseball.

So please don't worry you guys who haven't got it yet, you are going to love it I reckon! As I said yesterday, i kinda hope I lowered expectations and you will like it more than you expected come Tuesday!?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboreham
Good news, after yesterday's disappointment, I'm really enjoying the game!

Ignoring the sometimes dirty textures and little oddities, and just enjoying some great baseball.

So please don't worry you guys who haven't got it yet, you are going to love it I reckon! As I said yesterday, i kinda hope I lowered expectations and you will like it more than you expected come Tuesday!?
Mission accomplished

I keep having moments where I go back and forth. For example, I just played an exhibition game of Giants vs. Padres. Everything at Petco looked great and I kept thinking, wow, this is sooooo cool.

But before that I played Yankees at Devil Rays. Everything in that game felt "ugh". The graphics, stadium, lighting, size of ball, distance from pitcher to batter, etc. all of it felt "off" and I really couldn't put my finger on it.

In between my grading I will no doubt sneak a game or two in today. Plus, it is cool having a game "on" beside me while I work. Again, the commentary is pretty complete so it is nice to have what would normally sound like the PS3 version sitting beside me as a handheld.

I will be taking the Vita with me to work tomorrow. Playing during breaks, lunch, etc. should put it over the top. And then comes midnight...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »