Home

Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside).

This is a discussion on Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside). within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #33
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Player ratings in this game do not matter (Video inside).

Ratings matter. As someone else pointed out BB/9 and the sliders for consistency and control do not necessarily mean that every pitch will be out of the zone and so far out thats its a wild pitch or something, it means the pitcher doesnt hit his spots and unless youre magic...how do you know exactly where the opposing pitcher was aiming? If that pitcher intended to throw a high inside fast ball and it catches the lower outside corner...since you didnt swing its a strike but he missed his spot by a foot or more. Ive done tons of simming. Ive tested and cross referenced stats. Stats can vary so setting a player to have 99 power will not have the same home run total every year, there is very little constant...but there is so consistency. Sure Id like the pitchers to miss more and have it be a no doubt take...but this is what they have now and what they are selling...but I assure the OP and the debaters...Ratings matter, a fair amount as well.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #34
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Also guys remember a player has a certain skill to even be considered in the minors. The worst guy in the minors - THAT's zero. Not 0 talent.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #35
All Star

authentic's Arena

OVR: 37

I'm not sure if the OP is saying that ratings don't matter when simulating. I think he's just trying to say there might not be a big enough difference from Halladay, to his Joe Random. I think ratings matter in this game, but I think there could be a bigger gap performance wise from a Halladay to Joe Random. However, this is not something that ruins the game for me in any way, it's just a small thing. The OP may be overreacting a little bit, but there's no need to jump all over him and run him out of these forums because he has an issue with this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #36
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic
I'm not sure if the OP is saying that ratings don't matter when simulating. I think he's just trying to say there might not be a big enough difference from Halladay, to his Joe Random. I think ratings matter in this game, but I think there could be a bigger gap performance wise from a Halladay to Joe Random. However, this is not something that ruins the game for me in any way, it's just a small thing. The OP may be overreacting a little bit, but there's no need to jump all over him and run him out of these forums because he has an issue with this game.

I agree with this and have numbers to back this up.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #37
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
I agree that even if balls and strikes are the correct % , the CPU throws way too many on the corner at least on All-Star. Instead of barely clipping the zone they should miss more in between as well, IMO.

I suppose this has to do with why the game has relatively realistic stat results even for the user franchise.

As far jumping on the OP , only one guy in this thread has done that. The other contention has merely been that the conclusion drawn is not supported by the type of data cited... Which seems fair.

I also want to add that it DOES seem in general that the show does not handle "difference" well. Meaning different pitcher speeds, differentiating between pitch types etc...

It's like the game plays in a very tight range and that's that.

Last edited by ryan36; 05-06-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #38
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
I agree that even if balls and strikes are the correct % , the CPU throws way too many on the corner at least on All-Star. Instead of barely clipping the zone they should miss more in between as well, IMO.

I suppose this has to do with why the game has relatively realistic stat results even for the user franchise.

As far jumping on the OP , only one guy in this thread has done that. The other contention has merely been that the conclusion drawn is not supported by the type of data cited... Which seems fair.

I also want to add that it DOES seem in general that the show does not handle "difference" well. Meaning different pitcher speeds, differentiating between pitch types etc...

It's like the game plays in a very tight range and that's that.
This is my observation as well. I don't know if the lack of "dynamic range" (is the term I use to describe the sensitivity of a rating to in-game performance) is intentional on the devs' part so that players with wildly different skill levels can play the game more or less realistically, but it basically limits the Show's ability to simulate well above/below average players. Someone like Greg Maddux in 1995 - 1996 seasons (during which he was not a human being) cannot be simulated even if you max out most ratings because of this.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #39
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
This is my observation as well. I don't know if the lack of "dynamic range" (is the term I use to describe the sensitivity of a rating to in-game performance) is intentional on the devs' part so that players with wildly different skill levels can play the game more or less realistically, but it basically limits the Show's ability to simulate well above/below average players. Someone like Greg Maddux in 1995 - 1996 seasons (during which he was not a human being) cannot be simulated even if you max out most ratings because of this.
I've been wondering about this as well, my prime example being the k/9 stat. From what I've noticed, the number rating corresponds with the actual rating. For example, Felix has I think an 83 k/9 rating in-game compared to 8.36 in real life. My question is how do you emulate Kenley Jansen's 2011 season last year or even Brandon Morrow for that matter? What about Vinnie Pestano's fastball last year?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #40
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
I've been wondering about this as well, my prime example being the k/9 stat. From what I've noticed, the number rating corresponds with the actual rating. For example, Felix has I think an 83 k/9 rating in-game compared to 8.36 in real life. My question is how do you emulate Kenley Jansen's 2011 season last year or even Brandon Morrow for that matter? What about Vinnie Pestano's fastball last year?
I think this is just a coincidence... ratings go from 0 - 99, and K/9 goes from 0 (impossibly poor) to > 9 (best strikeout pitchers).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »