Home

No doubles in the corners, no triples at all

This is a discussion on No doubles in the corners, no triples at all within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #25

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: No doubles in the corners, no triples at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Absolutely. I feel like Outfielders literally run faster than infielders, regardless of sliders. It's quite weird.

But I'm also getting a fair number of doubles down the line, and I also am running with Speed at 1, Arm Strength at 4.

My baserunner speed is at 1 also though. I had problems with baserunners outrunning the pitcher to the bag at 1st base, and to me that's more important.

But I'm still getting plenty of doubles. I'm averaging 1.8 doubles per game. That's actually a little above the average for doubles, I believe.

And last but not least, I should mention this is with the Mets, one of the slower teams in MLB.

So if I can do it, you can too!
My issue isn't with getting doubles.

I'm getting a realistic amount of them, I'm just having trouble getting extra base hits on shots down the line that should be double's but aren't.

I haven't messed around with sliders so I know it's on me, I just get so afraid to mess with sliders to fix one thing out of fear of how it will affect other aspects of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #26
Pro

dazzelle's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
I use auto baserunning so I don't really have a problem with that,
When using auto baserunning can you still control it if you want to over ride the cpu.
I am thinking of switching over to auto as i just make to many stupid mistakes with baserunning when i have a few guys on but would still like to control one guy and leave the others to the cpu.

sorry for going ot.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 3

My two cents: As has been mentioned, fielders tend to be too fast, take perfect routes and get rid of the ball too well. I think '13 has improved from previous versions, but still needs work. Personally, I've experimented with all sorts of slider settings for fielders and runners to try to find the best mix to get doubles/triples that look accurate while not ruining other parts of the game. I've found there is no magic formula because if you "fix" one thing to look right, you can "break" something else so other plays don't look good. You can fix the sliders so that any single play looks good, but you can't fix them so all plays look good. You have to decide which plays you most want to correct and play a bunch of games with different plays and judge with your eyes what look proper to you. Everyone will have a different opinion, but for what it's worth. here are the settings I think are best suited to give a good balance along with my current settings:

Fielder Speed I think 2-3 is best. If you lower it too much more than that, I've found hits will get up the alleys that look like they should be caught. Current - 3
Fielder Reaction 4 - 5. Current - 5
Arm Strength 3 - 4. Current - 3
BR Speed 4 - 6. Current - 5

So just by lowering fielder speed and arm strength a little bit will give you more doubles and triples. And lowering arm strength to 3 doesn't really hurt infielders being able to still gun out runners at first.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
Pro

spitoon's Arena

OVR: 8

I agree with the OP. At least for doubles down the lines...I'm not really seeing an issue with triples as much.

I brought it up in the Ball Physics thread (http://www.operationsports.com/forum...iscussion.html) with a suggestion that the friction was too high and the ball seems to die very early in the outfield...couple that with the reaction speed, running speed, and arm strength and I'm seeing virtually no doubles on balls down the lines (stock sliders).

I have the same concern as a few here about tweaking sliders and having other undesirable effects. I don't really have a problem with the number of doubles overall, but the ones down the lines bug me.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #29
Rookie

Kamasutra's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzelle
When using auto baserunning can you still control it if you want to over ride the cpu.
no.

my 2 cents: messing with 4-5 different sliders to try to correct one thing is probably not a sound method because you're unbalancing other aspects of the game and only bandaging the perceived problem, I still say there isn't one, but whatever..

3 things would help this, besides having good baserunners with good BR Ability, actually 4:

1. Autobaserunning, the cpu does a fair if not excellent job
2. Players natural progression. Even during the course of 1 season, players read the play better and make good decisions
3. 3rd base coach (everyone forgets this). He's the guy putting up the stop sign or waving them in (on auto)
4. Your manager and the boosts he provides.. Some managers provide a hitting boost to the detriment of baserunning (many forget this, again)
[5. The combination of all your coaches perks put together]. They can either seriously boost baserunning or almost work against a good baserunning team. And the only time you can change them is during the offseason..]
Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 4

I think the issue is the CPU controlled OF always takes the perfect angle to the ball and gets to it perfectly every time so its hard to get a double at the ball in the corners. My doubles all come from ones off the walls or ground rule doubles.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #31
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

Just a question, does the increasing the Solid Hits Slider also increase the amount of doubles and triples?

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #32
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
Just a question, does the increasing the Solid Hits Slider also increase the amount of doubles and triples?
Sometimes. It depends on your current production levels (and on current sliders and difficulty level)

If you're already getting strong hits in the gap and down the line... If you're already getting a 20% or more in Line Drive %... Solid Hits wouldn't really help too much, (but it would still help). In this case, Power would help more than anything.

If you're having problems even getting line drives or hard fly balls, then Solid Hits would definitely help a lot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »