Home

No doubles in the corners, no triples at all

This is a discussion on No doubles in the corners, no triples at all within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 20
Re: No doubles in the corners, no triples at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
But are you seeing them down the lines?

I too see plenty of gap doubles/triples but hits down the line are pretty much exclusively singles.
IMO, the problem with balls hit down the line, like the hard ground balls, the issue seems to be that the ball almost comes to a stop in the outfield instead of rolling all the way into the corner. In real life a hard ground ball or line drive easily gets to the wall for several reasons...1. A ball hit down the line is almost always a bullet...if it were not the throw baseman would be able to at least get a glove on the ball. 2. The grass in the outfields is cut down like a fairway on a golf course so of course the lower the grass the further the ball will roll.

So since I know this is a problem I raise speed to no lower than 55 for every player on my team. This way I don't get thrown out on hits that should be routine doubles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #42

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoe24
IMO, the problem with balls hit down the line, like the hard ground balls, the issue seems to be that the ball almost comes to a stop in the outfield instead of rolling all the way into the corner. In real life a hard ground ball or line drive easily gets to the wall for several reasons...1. A ball hit down the line is almost always a bullet...if it were not the throw baseman would be able to at least get a glove on the ball. 2. The grass in the outfields is cut down like a fairway on a golf course so of course the lower the grass the further the ball will roll.

So since I know this is a problem I raise speed to no lower than 55 for every player on my team. This way I don't get thrown out on hits that should be routine doubles.
Spot on.

The ball seems to die once it gets to the outfield.

The issue for me is other than doing what you did (which I don't feel like doing) I can't find a fix that doesn't adversely affect other aspects of the game.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 0

I feel like there is something with the physics off the bat. I am not having issues with extra base hits but my issue is scoring runners from second with a single. Even my fastest players have plays at the plate and more often than not my slower players have to stop at 3rd. I know that happens plenty in real life but players score from second more than they have to stop in the real world.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #44
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by railsldr
I feel like there is something with the physics off the bat. I am not having issues with extra base hits but my issue is scoring runners from second with a single. Even my fastest players have plays at the plate and more often than not my slower players have to stop at 3rd. I know that happens plenty in real life but players score from second more than they have to stop in the real world.
I would suggest turning down the fielding sliders a bit. It really helps with game play in my opinion.

Personally I don't see any adverse effects of changing the sliders. Overall fielding in this game is too good so changing the sliders is only going to make the defense play more realistic. For BOTH infield and outfield.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #45
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

TNK's realism sliders have a nice balance. I can score on singles unless its hit hard, and I can drive balls into the corner and depending how hard they're hit and the park they are hit in, usually get a double. I used Grandal the other day in Busch, and he smashed one into the corner, and the LF played it great, and he just cut down Grandal. Barely.

- Rick Wise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoe24

This post needs to be bumped and discussed more. I don't have many frustrations with The Show, but this one would probably be #1 in terms of things I'd like to see fixed in future games. The ground ball physics are off in this game, especially on hits down the line.

If you take a major league hitter and put him in the batter's box with no fielders, any moderately hit ground ball down the line is going to bounce/roll into the corner with relative ease. In The Show, unless you absolutely flush it off the bat, the ball stops before it even gets to the wall on balls down the line, allowing fielders to easily cut it off and hold you to a single. I think fielders playing too close to the line exaggerates this.

In a real MLB game, when a hard ground ball gets past a 3rd or 1st basemen down the line, at least 9 times out of 10 it's a double.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #47
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzouj
This post needs to be bumped and discussed more. I don't have many frustrations with The Show, but this one would probably be #1 in terms of things I'd like to see fixed in future games. The ground ball physics are off in this game, especially on hits down the line.

If you take a major league hitter and put him in the batter's box with no fielders, any moderately hit ground ball down the line is going to bounce/roll into the corner with relative ease. In The Show, unless you absolutely flush it off the bat, the ball stops before it even gets to the wall on balls down the line, allowing fielders to easily cut it off and hold you to a single. I think fielders playing too close to the line exaggerates this.

In a real MLB game, when a hard ground ball gets past a 3rd or 1st basemen down the line, at least 9 times out of 10 it's a double.
I agree fully. I think there are issues overall with the inertia of batted balls. It's not just down the line, hits everywhere always seem to have too much upward lift and not enough forward-movement.

This is evidenced by the fact that, for example, a good 1/3rd of my hits down the line end up being home runs. I don't see enough batted balls that stay within a linear trajectory but that are solidly hit.

Another example is on choppers and grounders. With more kinetic energy traveling forward, balls wouldn't die after 1 or 2 bounces, and would even bounce higher off the infield ground, and over fielders.

Or on pop-ups, too many of which land within the dimensions of the park, another consequence of a lack of horizontal inertia.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I agree fully. I think there are issues overall with the inertia of batted balls. It's not just down the line, hits everywhere always seem to have too much upward lift and not enough forward-movement.

This is evidenced by the fact that, for example, a good 1/3rd of my hits down the line end up being home runs. I don't see enough batted balls that stay within a linear trajectory but that are solidly hit.

Another example is on choppers and grounders. With more kinetic energy traveling forward, balls wouldn't die after 1 or 2 bounces, and would even bounce higher off the infield ground, and over fielders.

Or on pop-ups, too many of which land within the dimensions of the park, another consequence of a lack of horizontal inertia.
Yeah, it seems like the only ground outs in the game that make it to an infielder are balls hit right on the nose that happen to be right at someone. While there are soft choppers that wouldn't make it past the infield grass here and there in MLB, it happens way too much in this game. Seems like 75% of ground ball outs are infielders having to charge swinging bunts that barely make it 90 feet and make a wild throw on the run to retire the hitter. Most of those should be the routine ground outs and the swinging bunts should be the exception.

I agree on the pop outs too. Way too many pop outs to the catcher for me and the CPU. In reality a lot of those balls get out of play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »